Cold weather on way, protect your precious money maker!!! Call me if needed!!!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hi everyone,

I have been receiving a lot of phone calls today because I have been in cold weather cleaning situation.

Some of you are going to experience WAY unusual cold temps. Just so you know, the governor of the state of MN just had schools closed for this coming Monday due to the unusual cold weather. Quite unusual as we think we are pretty tough in MN!

Here is my first initial thought after talking with a lot of people today (and with the guidance of my wife in the background on most phone calls)

First and foremost I want to say relying on a space heater in your un-insulated van is really taking a chance of costing you a lot of money and the most precious part of making you money.

My initial thoughts after conversations:

Try if you can to find a heated shop maybe from your local mechanic to get that truck and truckmount unit into for the weekend or each night of cold. Give them a $50 dollar bill and a great bottle of scotch! (or send the scotch to me :) )

If you can't get a heated garage, do you have anyone with a small garage that will at least reduce the temps about 20 degrees just getting your truckmount out of the elements.

If in a garage, I would suggest using the pink RV winterization solution to run through all hoses of the unit, the cat pump, water heater (heat exchanger) and take all wands, chemicals and anything that could be frozen or effected by cold weather out of your van to heated environment.

If you have to at last resort REPEAT AT LAST RESORT! get a ceramic heater to get by your water pump, heating unit or heat exchanger and in the entire van cab to help prevent freeze up. This might not still protect everything and is very risky. Really consider calling in your best friend (or new best friend) with a heated shop or garage and get the money and scotch. It is seriously going to be WAY cheaper that trying to winterize or buy extra heating units.

AND if you have questions (I don't care what time of day it is SERIOUSLY) you call me at 218-259-9099. This is my cell phone. Please leave a message if I am unable to answer and I am serious. I will return a call ASAP!

I don't want any of you to lose your livelihood. I have been cleaning in cold weather all my life and I want you to call me!!!!

Here is also a link to my youtube video page with a lot of cold weather cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi9UefjEixJPGgxWPTnEUhg

I am also going to post this on every chat board I know of to make sure others are taken care of. I am also including my link to cold weather cleaning from Mikey's board. Now is not the time to be picking lines in the sand when it comes to making sure you do not incur major costly expenses to keeping your livelihood.

http://mikeysboard.com/2013/12/18/s...making-a-living-and-thriving-in-cold-weather/

I am cutting and pasting this from other posts, so if this does not appear from the board I mentioned, email me from my web contact page and I will get the link to you. www.saigers.com

Again, please call with any questions. I am here to give back to everyone in this great industry!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

My contact me page is in the upper right hand corner of my web page as well.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Take the solution lines in the house.

Use insulation board from lowes or hd to isolate what you need to heat.
If ya can divide your van in half.

Remove your pressure guage!!

Good luck fellas!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have had people from as far south as South Caroline and St. Louis that I can think of right off the top of my head. St. Louis predicted down to -15 degrees. I really suggest getting to heated facility.

I had a friend that their shop door got blown open in the middle of the night out in North Dakota and it froze up the Butler unit. So far just 2 parts broken, but I called the insurance adjuster personally (since I knew them) to tell them a claim could be on the way for this truckmount and it could be a total.

They are ok with taking our word for it if there is a serious problem.

I really hope these cold temps do not hit the people who are not used to them, but if they are hitting, You need to call and we figure out what to do for you!

I will not leave anyone hanging and I wish I could be there in person for each one of you that calls. I know the feeling when you have not experienced this, that's why my cell phone is listed.

I don't want anyone to not be able to provide for them and their families coming up here in the next few weeks!

Mark Saiger

Reactions: GCCLee

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
After we got in today I winterized my PC 650 and will be bringing tools inside tommorrow. Left the wifey a note not to schedule any cleaning jobs till Wed. Might as well take a few days off and work on my commercial brochure. Then it will be BTTW to catch up my restaurants and even a little weekend work. Did I ever tell you guys how much I HATE freezing cold weather!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Makes me wanna put the water box back in, jus incase an emergency happens it'll be easier to winterize.

One other freezing fear of mine is:
What if you do take a chance go out. And a Break Down happens. You have 30-45min max to get that dude on heat or in a garage.
Think about it!
Knowing a tow owner or employee is a handy asset to have.

CLee

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
One other freezing fear of mine is:
What if you do take a chance go out. And a Break Down happens. You have 30-45min max to get that dude on heat or in a garage.
Think about it!

CLee

Maybe be a good idea to carry a couple or 3 gallons of RV antifreeze in case your vehicle does break down .. you could winterize it while waiting for a tow truck

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Sunday through Tuesday they are saying 40-50 below zero lows (highs slightly better) with the wind chill.

The Clean Machine

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Updated on news last night predicted -51 degrees for me tomorrow night (Sunday) I've cleaned in it but getting older and really don't feel like doing it this time. I might just do some cleaning at my place just to say I did it again though! :rockon:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The weather warnings are dire: Life threatening wind chills. Historic cold outbreak. Bitter cold temperatures. Winter is normally cold, but starting Sunday tundra-like temperatures are poised to deliver a rare and potentially dangerous sledgehammer blow to much of the Midwest, driving temperatures so far below zero that records will shatter.
One reason? A "polar vortex," as one meteorologist calls it, which will send cold air piled up at the North Pole down to the U.S., funneling it as far south as the Gulf Coast.
The temperature predictions are startling: 25 below zero in Fargo, N.D., minus 31 in International Falls, Minn., and 15 below in Indianapolis and Chicago. At those temperatures, exposed skin can get frostbitten in minutes and hypothermia can quickly set in because wind chills could hit 50, 60 or even 70 below zero.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Let's all make it to Aptos in on piece guys, stay out of it completely. I hope you guys who do water damage are able to clean up AFTER Tuesday. Think with your heads, not your wallets!

The Clean Machine

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Heading out on water extraction call right now. Unfinished basement. Got back from Florida last night, turned on water an outside spigot was broke. About 500 square feet an inch deep. Non other equipment. Easy job....I hope!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
ya busted it....
didn't ya?

Shew, the genie sleeps in the garage. Plus I Keep the doors closed if running in cold temps and Sometimes I give him a blankie to snuggle with : )

Its's 19 out now and we have a job at 11am. Soon as I get done poopin an sipping my java, take a shower I will load out, fill the tanks etc. should be in the mid 30's by the time we are set up and running. Home before dark and i'll start the deep freeze prepping. By backing in the garage and closing the door : )

Sun is shining really bright so : )

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Let's all make it to Aptos in on piece guys, stay out of it completely. I hope you guys who do water damage are able to clean up AFTER Tuesday. Think with your heads, not your wallets!

The Clean Machine
Yea we are going to have to talk about our plan for Sunday night. Its supposed to be -12 with wind chills of minus 30. I think no residential and only large commercial water losses. It will be better by morning, 13 degrees that 25 degree improvement. :biggrin:

I'll see what Dan thinks.

Reactions: Russ T.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
My van is insulated and parks in an unheated but insulated garage. I have no problem keeping the floor level of the van around 50 degrees with just a little ceramic heater. Problem is with the cab area completely partitoned off it can get pretty cold in the back while driving to job locations. I was considering one of these for these occasions but I don't know how much heat 12 volts will produce. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RoadPro-12V-Heater-Fan-car-truck-portable-swivel-ceramic-auto-van-rv-camping-/161171735267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25869582e3

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Might be like a hair dryer, can add a lot of very hot air, just not enough to heat a large area.

Although for $50.00 might be worth the gamble.

Darin

I'm in northern WI. -40 with -70 wind chill coming our way. Thankful I have a heated shop. I'm just going to make sure I don't even schedule anything for the next week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
as always happens we are busiest in the worst weather. We have a country club to clean carpet Monday, start a mold job and start a large dust cleanup job.

Plus who knows what with the cold and snow rolling in.

Oh well, its winter! :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Yea we are going to have to talk about our plan for Sunday night. Its supposed to be -12 with wind chills of minus 30. I think no residential and only large commercial water losses. It will be better by morning, 13 degrees that 25 degree improvement. :biggrin:

I'll see what Dan thinks.

Thanks, Bud......and NE Ohio is getting that shit Monday!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Just had a call from a cleaner in St. Louis who is really taking precautions to winterize and protect his cleaning van. He got me thinking and it might have been mentioned, but make sure if you are using ceramic or oil filled radiator units, make sure they are on separate circuits.

Also, here is a cheap little $23 safety warning unit that you can use. I have one in my shop in case the main heat goes out (but I also have 220 volt 8 foot electric baseboard back up heaters installed all around the shop).

Here is a link to the unit which is a Honeywell winter watchman: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Winter-Watchman-Temperature-Signal-CW200A/100476732#

Here are my pics of it's set up on a RED spot slight and my unit is set to go off at 42 degrees in my particular application.

2014-01-04152503_zps940f765f.jpg

2014-01-04152512_zps8e2069a2.jpg

2014-01-04152522_zpse910a8ba.jpg

Plugged into the wall socket:
2014-01-04152530_zps34cc03cf.jpg

Front of unit:
2014-01-04152605_zpsd27bf8f1.jpg

Back of unit:
2014-01-04152626_zps06323492.jpg

View from my home office window (through the screen too) and easily seen if it goes off (even our Schnoodle sees it and let's us know....good dog!)
2014-01-04153200_zps7b189940.jpg

Be safe and be warm!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T. and GCCLee

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
running two ceramic heaters on low , one on top of the waste tank and the other at the back of the van blowing forward.
Just checked and it's 70 degrees in there and it's 2 degrees outside.
What really helped was to get a small fan blowing in the back of the truck running ONE heater to circulate the heated air when it wasn't as cold as this.
It's parked in my insulated garage. Nighttime temps to be down to -15 tonight. I'll be up and down and checking on it to make sure it's warm in there.

In my home I'm going to close heat registers on the floor and shut doors for those rooms we don't use.
Like my office and an extra bedroom.Open bathroom cabinets to get air flow so the pipes don't freeze.
Hopefully school is cancelled tomorrow so I don't worry if Jr 's car doesn't stall somehere and he has to walk. The dummy insists on wearing shorts all the time. I told him it was life threatening if he gets stranded. But he knows everything at 18. Told him his nuts will freeze off. Just laughs.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Our mayor just asked every one to close tomorrow. They are just plowing our streets and -15 is coming. I will be going over later to the shop just to check on things.
Mark your light is genius.

Thanks for all the support you are providing.

This is what makes this board great.

I think you won't be paying your tab in aptos after your performance here the last few days.

Chavez I will cover your water with lemon. LOL

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom