College town apartment tunrover...

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I've got a local guy who does well with this.

Who does it and is it good to you?

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
I live in State College, PA, home of the main campus of Penn State University. 40 K plus students.

Very lucrative. Unlimited work. All move outs occur within a 3 to 4 week period. Student apartments are nothing like section 8 housing. These kids may not vacuum all year, but they don't trash the apartments either, as they would get in trouble with mommy and daddy.

In a small college town, you can charge a decent price. I would guess that in a large city there would be too many charging very low prices, so would not be as good.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We cleaned turnovers for a small school in Tennessee, only a few dozen apartments or dorm rooms most years. Once in a while the university wanted every room cleaned and we did a few hundred over a months time. We named our price and got it for the small and the large work orders. They usually came in June and July which was not our busiest time.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Depends,

I have yet to do one of the Hell Week Turns or whatever they call it in your area. However I am sure if you do any apts at all you have been bombarded once where you went WTF. Now triple that and don't go home until they are all done : )

Been working on a gig to assist another company here. Big guy : ) That I would do, but to pull the whole shebang off, hell no! They do all the paint, CC, Cleaning etc for the Property my Wife works at. Student Housing Property! Most everyone hates the Turns. I'd just like to conquer a couple buildings, long hose drops are fun! Might Fly An American Flag If I get in there : )
Set up Tear Down, Set up Tear Down HAUL AZZ! HURRY UP AN WAIT : ) Repeat Stuff

Think of the Stairs Buddy : )

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
The college town near me has 35k students in a town of 50k.

The guy tells me that he charges 40, 50, 75, 100.

He wants to sell his business to me. I was curious about what the going rate. He claims that during the moveout season he does 300+ per hour with 2 vans running. Most of his money is made from May-August and he is twiddling his thumbs the rest of the time due to him not growing the business like he should.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Are you guys talking about general and overall "make-ready" cleans? We do a ton of college student turnover the whole month of July, particularly the end. It's just the carpet cleaning though. The demand is very high in our area so most carpet cleaning companies (us included) jack their prices a little. July is by far our biggest month. I'm personally only interested in the carpet. A full "make ready" situation would be a lot to manage.

The Clean Machine

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I do a few, and also a couple of sorority houses. The problem is that they all call at the last minute during the busy season when I am booked 2 weeks out. If they can wait 2 weeks I will do them or if I happen to have an opening. They vary from trashed to fairly clean. I charge my regular price per room. No discounts in May or June. If You have a few employees you want to keep busy I guess it could be good money.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Who does it and is it good to you?

used to..we'd be buried for the last three weeks of August
Bong pi$$, beer, wine, gum, candle wax and other grunge was the norm

don't do 1/3 of what we did 13 years ago when we raised prices .
and lost one good account when they changed management...:icon_cry:

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I live in Kent, home of Kent State, and am 20 minutes from Akron U, and I bet I do 5 empties a year for college turn :icon_redface:. Second half of August is one of my slower times of the year...

Chris A

Name
Chris
used to..we'd be buried for the last three weeks of August
Bong pi$$, beer, wine, gum, candle wax and other grunge was the norm

don't do 1/3 of what we did 13 years ago when we raised prices .
and lost one good account when they changed management...:icon_cry:

..L.T.A.

And here I thought you were doing em all!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We do frats & sororities but few if any actual apts. We've bid on a few but they just go way cheaper than we care to clean for.

I'm going to market to some of them this year. Any tips on landing the account? Are they usually super price conscious, like the rest of the college turn overs? Seems like a great place to bid carpet, tile, upholstery.

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Price is one but they are not look for the lowest just a good price. Good work, flexibility fitting their schedule and getting it done within a reasonable time are all high on their list. Some of the ones we've taken from others liked that we could get done in a couple of days what took their old cleaner a week or more.

I'd start asking early (next month even) if you can place a bid and with whom. Send a resume of with some cheerleader clients. Maybe offer to do a demo??? We do carpet, tile, upholstery, even some debris cleanup if they need help with that. They have a million things to repair and paint while the kids are away, so you want to come and go with as little hassle to them as possible.

steve_64

one of my complexes is mainly college students. pretty clean and i make good money on them. not sure id buy someone elses business for it though. especially knowing thats about all he has.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We did some really nice student housing units on campus for 5-6 years and then raised it a couple of pennies and lost them last year. :icon_rolleyes:
But the extra time manipulating the furnishing was just too much to throw in as carpet cleaning.

Each bedroom had 2-beds, two night stands and two dressers (that needed removed from the closet) cleaned then blocked. In a 4-bedroom apt that was 8-beds, 8-night stands, 8- dressers, a common divan and two chairs. :eekk:

We were working too hard as movers and not so much as cleaners. It was killing production and yet the price didn't reflect it. Each year we had raised it a penny but without the increase, I really don't care if we do them again.:neutral:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom