Color Loss on Microfibre

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I attempted a spot removal on a polyester sofa recently. No pre test. Used a vds and no problem spot came out but removed color also. Is there anything that can be done to rectify this?

sofa11.jpg

sofa12.jpg

sofa1.jpg

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
If it removed the color just use some dye. There is so many shades in micro fiber when looking at it that if the dye is even close you will never know its there.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim

Did the chair have a label that said it was polyester, or did you do a fiber ID test?

I've heard rumors of rayon microfibers, and I'd like to know if you've found one.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
I think Jim Pemberton may have nailed it again. You never know what you find in fabric today. You need to know for sure what type of fiber before attempting to put color (colour for us of origins outside of USA) back in.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
All those bold color ones bleed/run real easy.

Strange thing is someone told me that because poly is solution dyed you should not be able to get the color out.

Did the chair have a label that said it was polyester

Customer showed me the label on bottom of unit indicating "polyester microfibre"

I heard that poly will not accept dye, can anyone verify that?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Re: Color Loss on Microfiber

You can't always trust the tags. I have seen the codes be opposite of what they should of been several times.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Well polyester can be solution dyed or disperse dyed. I cannot believe it is polyester if a VDS took out the color.

Are you sure the tag did not say polyester fiberfill?

The good thing is that if the dye came out then you should be able to redye it. Normally polyester does not dye unless you are using that crazy Canadian Tony W magic crayon potion. You may want to email him.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have an acrylic/polyester blend fabric that bleeds to dry cleaning solvent that I use in class. But its the ACRYLIC part that bleeds, not the polyester.

If the microfiber was rayon, it would be flattened and distorted, and not come back to shape the way a polyester one would.

What does the texture look like now? Could you go back and do a burn test?

harryhides

Name
Tony
I shall ignore that horrible attack on my precarious sanity.

For this one, I'd suggest doing a little testing on a hidden area. Try with marker pens or even better some acrylic dye which you can dilute.
Start LIGHT and expect to use several layers.
Most art supply stores carry them. Re-create a discoloured spot with some more of the same vds and test away. You want to find a colour that won't give you a darker spot though that would probably be an improvement.

I wouldn't want to heat setting a crayon on a microfibre, just a guess as I have not actually tried that and until you KNOW what fibre you're dealing with it would be risky.
But as Bill says if it can lose dye, it can probably be re-dyed.

Don't feel bad Jim. Take a look at these 2 chairs that Bill the cleaner um "cleaned". Actually they look better in white but the gold color is how the chairs used to look before......... well lets not go there.

Fadedchairs1_IMG.jpg

This is also what can happen to your hair from drinking too much coffee or spending too much time out in the sun bike riding.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great pics Tony

You used to post pics like that with a question like:

"What would you do to fix this"

Then laugh when we gave you a bunch of browning remedies......

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Did a burn test, all I can tell is that it is synthetic burns down to hard ball and has a white cotton backing. Found a marker pen that I thought was close and depending on light and lay of the nap looks not so good:

IMG_4548.jpg

or not so bad:

IMG_4544.jpg

Will return piece to customer and see what they say. Thanks for all the help

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Your burn tests confirms synthetic. All that I can imagine is that it might be nylon (there is some nylon microfiber out there) that wasn't dyed properly.

The repair looks better than the fade; if your customer is a decent, understanding person, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom