Comercial Pricing

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Ok, I know I am a cheapo..but I charge .17/sq ft for encap and .25/sq ft for steam..If it is a brownstone and I have to do staircases and hallways then I just charge flat rates. I am going into the city ( Manhattan ) to bid a job that is basically mine as long as I don't go over board. The above prices are what I charge in my boro's. Opinions?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I would have thought pricing in nyc would be higher to reflect the cost of living. Do any other factors affect the job such as parking , multiple trips up and down elevator, etc?

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I build 50 dollars into the price for parking..not extra for elevator trips. I kind of use like an hourly thing..at .25cents/ft I can clean about 1000 sq.ft an hour, minus set up ( 15 minutes ) and still pay someone to fetch and dump water. Even at .17cents I do ok.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lust1kiddo said:
I build 50 dollars into the price for parking..not extra for elevator trips. I kind of use like an hourly thing..at .25cents/ft I can clean about 1000 sq.ft an hour, minus set up ( 15 minutes ) and still pay someone to fetch and dump water. Even at .17cents I do ok.

Jarred, if you're "really' cleaning a 1000 ft an hour with the porty :roll: ..
$250 pr hour gross would seem pretty good to me

..L.T.A.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
sure..just open space..pre spray..set up ( 15 minutes ) then about an hour of actual cleaning..3 stroke style, one and a half wet 2 dry. Sounds about right.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I would bump it up by ten or fifteen percent. In the event you had to go back and touch up or some other unforseen variable it might eat the profit of the job. I wouldnt bid too high but you can stlll charge more and be reasonable . I bet any other cleaners in manhatten charge nearly double your prices.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Those are high for commercial in these parts, but then we ain't New York City.

You can be fairly competitive with .15-16 for HWE but encap is much lower .09-.12 depending on size of the project.

Regardless of what you charge I'd work on being as productive as possible.
Why pay a hose holder, I'd start training him to encap, then steam cleaning.

You'll be more productive and make more if you do both methods, set your helper up to HWE the stairs while you encap the halls or set him up to encap the halls while you HWE the entry areas or worse part of the halls.

All of this is in my E X C E P T I O N A L marketing and managment package. It shows you 22 ways to be more productive and make more money without having to buy additional equipment. 13-ways to increased productivity as an owner op. There are more than 4-decades of trade secrets in there.

I mean secrets that than are not know by anyone but those privy to the Flying "V" Table webinars with my Lion's Den group.

Except I can't sell it here because the big guy wants a big cut of it. :x

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
U-2 & Me too said:
All of this is in my E X C E P T I O N A L marketing and managment package. It shows you 22 ways to be more productive and make more money without having to buy additional equipment. 13-ways to increased productivity as an owner op. There are more than 4-decades of trade secrets in there...
Richard is right. He does have four decades of experience in there! The problem is all four decades belong to other people! For example, he ripped off all of Jeff Cutshall's stuff on how to make more money without buying more trucks right here:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Don't even get me started on how Chavez has eviscerated Ivan Turner's stuff!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was ripped off. :roll:

I like to think of it as borrowed intellectual properties, sure I was influenced by their materials but only because they have some good stuff in there.

I only "borrow" the good stuff! !gotcha!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
juniorc82 said:
I would bump it up by ten or fifteen percent. In the event you had to go back and touch up or some other unforseen variable it might eat the profit of the job. I wouldn't bid too high but you can still charge more and be reasonable . I bet any other cleaners in manhatten charge nearly double your prices.

40-60 cents in Manhattan from what I've heard. Highest prices downtown, lower uptown.
A lot of liability and variables in Manhattan. You never know what your going to get.
Parking tickets, gridlock, water main breaks, jammed tolls, construction, rush hours, terror alerts, bomb scares, swarms of pedestrians, tourists, and crazy cabbies could all make a simple trip into the city an all day event.
You could of course make some money at 25 cents assuming you can sneak in and out if the city without any surprises, but the odds are against you. Sneaking in and out consistently requires experience and detailed knowledge of shortcuts and go-arounds.
You have a lot of room in your pricing before you become unreasonable.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
the sneaking in and out part is easy..I'm a born and bread guy. I would rather have one guy cleaning and one guy fetching and dumping water..then we switch. Two guys cleaning seems slower because both guys would have to stop to refill and dump..no ?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
lust1kiddo said:
the sneaking in and out part is easy..I'm a born and bread guy. I would rather have one guy cleaning and one guy fetching and dumping water..then we switch. Two guys cleaning seems slower because both guys would have to stop to refill and dump..no ?

More power to you if you can get in and out without a migraine. I sure can't.

Depends on the setup. I would think 2 guys cleaning, that know what they are doing, would be faster. It would also depend on how much down time is needed per fill/dump, compared to how much cleaning time it gives you.
How far from the water source and drain?
How long is the down time to dump and fill?
Can you add water on the fly without stopping cleaning, leaving the only time to shut down to dump?
Fastest with 2 machines would be 3 people, 2 operators and 1 lackey.

If your pricing was more in line with what you should be able to command in Manhattan, paying an extra lackey would be no problem, and money well spent..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Two guys cleaning seems slower because both guys would have to stop to refill and dump..no ?
It may seem that way but you can always setup the HWE guy first give him a couple of extra pails of water to begin with which he can add in as he gets low. You can also give him a few extra dirty pails to dump to and leave him alone while you do you low moisture thing.

Now this would be for larger projects to help speed you through them allowing you to squeeze the maximum productivity out of them while still being competitively priced enough to get the work.

It just make sense to pay someone to hold your hose and keep you entertained with conversation. Make him work and pay him well then go grab a beer and talk about how much you made.

Anyway this is all outlined in great detail in my package....to be honest a lot of this was take from Steve Toburen before he hooked up with Jon Don. It was nearly a complete ripoff of his "Service On the Homefront" tapes. Steve had all kinds of systems tips in there that were just lost and rotting on VHS tape. 8)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Ultimately you want to figure your COS(cost of service) and apply the mark up or gross profit you wish to be at.

But that is too much work so most cleaners just make it up

PS. love the picture whoever put it there,classic

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I will see what they wanna do. I am going in there tomorrow to survey the place..and they have some other fine fabrics they want me to look at..
Thanks for the help guys.

I will check in with sq ft and such..

Jarred

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Ok..these hallways are only partially carpeted. 560 sq ft spread over 8 floors. The rest of the stairs and hallway are marble. I am going to have to charge at least 700.00 just for my time and getting in and out of the city and parking..its a block away from times square so I know they have the loot. Opinions?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
lust1kiddo said:
Ok..these hallways are only partially carpeted. 560 sq ft spread over 8 floors. The rest of the stairs and hallway are marble. I am going to have to charge at least 700.00 just for my time and getting in and out of the city and parking..its a block away from times square so I know they have the loot. Opinions?

We service some condos with similar set ups, 8-10 floors hallways only.
Use the powerflite you have and prescrub with cimex. Little closer to $800

Encap every other service

JeffC

Name
Jeff
That's it Chavez,
I'm cutting you off. LOL (Even though I hate to admit it prices here in KC are about the same as Topeka.)

Actually we almost always use our Cimex even when we're doing hot water extraction on commercial accounts. I've found it's rare when every single square foot of carpet needs a full extraction. Working in your prespray with the Cimex also speeds up that process and often times doing a post encap makes a difference. Or even doing a combination of HWE and encapping certain areas speeds things up. This helps even the playing field and increases production.
JeffC

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
JeffC said:
That's it Chavez, I'm cutting you off.
JeffC
Uhhhhh, Jeff. I'm sure Richard hears this on a daily basis from Senora Chavez. Don't make it worse than it already is.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS You know Jeff the old saying about "Great minds think alike"? I really believe it now because Ivan Turner sent me the beta version of Richard's new "How to Clean Up Big Time in Commercial Carpet Cleaning" package and there are pages in there that read word-for-word with your free manual on "How to Build Encapsulation Routes". In fact, Jeff, you and Richard are so dialed in both of you even made the same grammatical mistakes! (There are many.) Check it out:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Now easy there Jeff how about I come down and buy you dinner after a Chief's win. Oh wait......that could be years! :p

Steve you must have a bug in my house! :mrgreen:

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Encap and HWE ??? do you know what they would have to pay for that? lol..they are gonna get hot water..formula 90..and upholstery tool the edges..THATS IT.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom