Commercial Carpet Tiles

John Buxton

In preparing a bid for a fairly large 3 story government building, they have installed Beaulieu Commercial Tiles that they say cannot be cleaned using anything over 100 psi, or 100 degree water. They do not want Cimex, or rotary machines used. The only thing they will accept is Whittaker dry system, and a porty.

Anyone have experience with these?

leesenter

The reason why the mills want no rotary was presented to me at the Shaw Technical Labs. They state that since shampoos lift the soil of the carpet in the foam creation process that is inherent with shampoos, the rotary action of a machine no matter how gentle will in fact grind the carpet fibers with the lifted soils in the foam.

A

amazingcleansc

leesenter said:
The reason why the mills want no rotary was presented to me at the Shaw Technical Labs. They state that since shampoos lift the soil of the carpet in the foam creation process that is inherent with shampoos, the rotary action of a machine no matter how gentle will in fact grind the carpet fibers with the lifted soils in the foam.

I HEARD that it was bonnet cleaning with dirty bonnets and shampoo left an impacted layer of mud that was delaminating carpets, something you wouldn't have to worry about on a carpet tile.

leesenter

I can tell you the criteria I am to judge on from the major carpet mills' view. The two major mills state the following to me:
Mohawk- nothing rotary period.
Shaw-damage that can be attributed to rotary action of a machine and chemistry will cause the claim to be denied.

A

amazingcleansc

why dont they try to clean their own carpet with a whittaker.

A

amazingcleansc

yeah no shit. the procaps got me fired from an $650/4x a year account i landed after i encapped the first job with it. they said i didnt do anything and didnt tell me until they just got another company.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I clean a 5000 sq. ft. club ever month for the last 4 years. The first time the so called head maintinance
guy told me the installer said cold water only, bullshit they are 100 % solution dyed and can handle
anything if installed properly.

John Buxton

The rep at Beaulieu is the one that told me 100 psi and not over 100 degrees and no rotary anything or the warranty would be voided. She said the psi is because water will get between the tiles and loosen the adhesive. Looks like I have to buy a Whittaker system if I want this job.

Thanks.

A

amazingcleansc

John Buxton said:
The rep at Beaulieu is the one that told me 100 psi and not over 100 degrees and no rotary anything or the warranty would be voided. She said the psi is because water will get between the tiles and loosen the adhesive. Looks like I have to buy a Whittaker system if I want this job.

Thanks.

I feel your pain, John.

There is something ludicrous about the sales rep saying that. think about 100 psi.

Thats like saying listen, I am going to warranty your vehicle. its a very heavy duty vehicle. The heaviest duty, in fact. Youre going to LOVE the durablility of this vehicle.

Now, you are only allowed to actually DRIVE it 45 miles per hour, or I wont honor the warranty on the vehicle.

I guess if the manufacturer acts ridiculous and crazy, then they can expect people to be walking around on eggshells the whole time they are cleaning their carpet, so cleaners will be more careful.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
John,
I can't count how many times a mill rep told a carpet owner to clean with nothing but cold water. The rep can say whatever comes off the top of their head, but the policy written by the mill is the actual warranty. You should ask the mill to send you the warranty and cleaning recommendations, and then ask the rep why she would recommend something different.

You're in a bit of a tough spot, as the mill rep is either ignorant and bull-headed about it, or she's trying to hide a lousy installation. If you follow her guidelines, you'll have an unhappy customer and you'll get fired from the job at some point, and you might be blacklisted by government service buyers because they think you're a lousy cleaner. You have an enemy either way if you can't find a diplomatic solution.

Of course, sometimes asking the mill a few questions can get a rep educated, or even replaced...

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
leesenter said:
I can tell you the criteria I am to judge on from the major carpet mills' view. The two major mills state the following to me:
Mohawk- nothing rotary period.
Shaw-damage that can be attributed to rotary action of a machine and chemistry will cause the claim to be denied.

ZIPPER :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom