Considering equipment upgrade for power & versatility

S Holly

First of all, I can not use a TM where the majority of our work is done so no "just get a TM" replies. Current equipment in profile. Portables are the only way for us so here goes ...

Looking at replacing current equipment with some products from US Products, namely The Torrent for T&G and natural stone cleaning, the Solus 500R with the included Evolution molded wand for carpet cleaning and the Agitator 20 for backup. The Steamin Demon Classic will also be considered vs. the Agitator 20 as backup and can be used for larger carpet jobs along with the Solus 500R.

GOLD ratings from CRI's Seal of Approval Program is great but I am still concerned about end user testimony from cleaners who have 1st hand experience in using these products. Thanks for your replies in advance.

S Holly

DRScrivner said:
What is wrong with the Recoil?

Absolutely nothing. The XPS is a real workhorse and we are keeping it. I am upgrading for these new jobs because I need heat without the propane and the US Products are known for their constant heat of 212 F. The Solus 500R has a Solution Pre-Heat that raises the temp to 125 F for a consistent heat to be maintained at up to 212 F. Too many concerns with these new jobs and my propane heater. My old setup works great as long as I can leave the unit outside with the propane heater but now we will be working in a different environment and the propane can not follow. Ed has a great product for the price and we don't have to worry about the price of gas increasing like the guy I am replacing who was running a Prowler. LOL

DRScrivner

Good to know. I have an Olympus M200H so I am not much help to you directly for what you are seeking.

The best thing I can personally suggest is try Rick's BB at encapboard.com. He sells Stemin Demons and their are several users of Demons as well as some of the other equipment you mentioned.

Guys over their do a higher concentration of commercial and encapping so they tend to run more portables for HWE needs then here on Mikey's board. Do a search over there too. This equipment was a topic discussed not long ago. Hope you find the info you are looking for.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
S Holly;

Gold Ratings from CRI don't have a lot of credibility..

This is what I would look for in a hi-performance portable:

1. Two Hi-perf 3-stage vac motors (486 to 600 air watts each)

2. Hi-pressure pump w/AC motor delivering at least 1.6 GPM @ 450 PSI. High FLOW is the key parameter here.

These two factors plus a functional durable rotomolded housing with 10" Wheels will give you top portable performance. 2" Vacuum Inlet is desirable for maximum air flow.

Current draw should be less than 15 amps on each cord to eliminate circuit breaker issues.

No Heat, all available electrical power is applied to the pump & vac systems.

Pump Out & Auto Dump if desired.

For a dedicated Tile & Grout machine, make sure the pump system will deliver over 2 GPM for hi-pressure grout cleaning.

Larry Cobb

DRScrivner

Jimmy,

Was that for me or Larry?

If it was for me I am honored I have never been a "Double Lap Dog" in one day before- WOW- I'm gonna write my mom and the President, I'm sooooooooo excited!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Danny;

There are several of them on the market.

We produce a couple.

Schmitz Industries produces one with 20" wheels (Dirt Invader).

The low flow pumps are what limits most of them.

Larry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The US Product portables are solid products with good support. You might want to look into that 212 claim to see if the unit will produce the heat you need given the way you want to use the equipment.

I'm not sure how they compare with everything else on the market though. You're the only one that can decide whether you want style or crude cabinetry is OK, or more power for more weight, or performance without regard to reliability.

MrCoffee

I have read about the Solus 500, and really like its portability features. It is designed to slide in and out of a small van with ease, and the large wheels in back facilitate mobility up and down stairs. The investment for one of these is significant, and I'm not sure if it has the auto pump and dump (probably not). It has a 12 gallon capacity, and obviously the 500psi at the wand, a nice advantage.

I used to clean with Castex machines, the ones that the current Nobles Explorer 1500 is modeled after. The Castex portables gave excellent results, back in their day. Although I never cleaned restaurants, I did spend a signifcant amount of time in law offices, banks, and agencies including real estate and insurance. We would sometimes bring out the Castex machines to help with disaster recovery and restoration, to supplement other equipment. The specs on the Castex were less in both water heat and psi than the Solus. The water lift or cubic feet per minute, I'm unsure of that for either. All I know, is that the Castex was the best portable the company had in service that I'm aware of.

I'm thinking the Solus will perform better than the Castex, and the heat will be an added benefit. I received a price quote on the Olympus units, and they are priced more attractively yet still offer the same portability as the Solus, along with the auto pump and dump. Even though the Olympus is not CRI rated, I would still like to learn more about these machines, if anybody else has info.

I will not discount the Recoil series, but they are big and hauling them in and out of the truck may be problematic. Ed includes an immersion heater as an option for the Recoil, so its reliability and possibly lower energy requirements may make them a viable alternative if the user can live with some of the added mobility issues.

MrCoffee

Spurling

anybody having a problem with their EVOLUTION wand by US products...It desperately needs a spray guard ..I always spray baseboards and if too close to legs..they get wet..we who have that problem should get together and request us products to retrofit some clip on guards or something ..

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
S Holly;

The wand mentioned reminds me of one more required item.

The feature would be a 12" wand with a glide.

A few distributors are including them with top-of-the-line portables.

Larry

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Just cut some aluminum splash guards yourself and use some epoxy to glue them on that EVOLUTION.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
considering equipment upgrade for power and portability

Larry I read the Scmitz industry specifications. They claim 210 water lift.
If I understand it correctly, that can only be achieved with two inline motors as opposed to the two motors set in parallel.
If that is so, they will have higher water lift and much less airflow.
If there is less airflow, then it will take much longer to dry.
Did I get it right?
Thanks
Ofer

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
kolfer1;

It's not quite that simple.

In portables, you are better with a series connection if you are using a 12" floor wand.

The portable with the most lift @ the wand lips will generate more CFM thru the carpet fiber.

Larry Cobb
Cobb Carpet Supply

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom