Contrarianism - Blend in and die!

Scott

I believe in these challenging times especially, that going against the grain is the most important task we business owners must make to thrive. I've copied part of a message I wrote in the Bird Room discussing the importance of going against the herd.

Sorry if you've already read it but a lot of people that visit this room don't check the Bird Room, so here it is. (PS - I have added a bit more here than the original post)

Edward Jones and most investment clearing houses have a herd mentality and are actually part of the problem. They have a collective mindset rather than individualistic. That's good for Contrarians because if everyone was Contrarian it would be an oxymoron and wouldn't work.

Most consumers don't educate themselves on the stock market because it's like learning a foreign language and perceived to be difficult, but it's not hard at all.

I was one of those guys about 10 yrs ago. I thought it would be way over my head since I've never had any formal investment schooling other than basic accounting. I was pleasantly surprised that it's fairly simple and boils down to a concept everybody already knows: Buy Low, Sell High (or if you short - Sell High and Buy Low)

I know Gary (Heacock) uses their services too as I've loaded up on a few stocks based on the recommendation of Stansberry Research. BQI (recommended by Gary in the original post) was a recent pick in Matt Bialidi's S&A Oil Report, which is part of the Stansberry Research group of newsletters.

I find TONS of value in those newsletters and not just stock advice - but also effective copywriting. Stansberry Research is owned by parent company Agora Financial Publishing, which is the worlds' largest financial newsletter service. The writers are Contrarian financial guys by nature - i.e when the herd goes left, they go right, etc. They're not always right, but overall they're seldom wrong and each of the newsletters almost always beats the Industrials.

They all have another common trait beyond being Contrarian - they're excellent copywriters. Here are a few headlines from some of their newsletters:

Freddie and Fannie are Going to Zero

Steve Jobs is Going to Jail

The Next Big Thing(s)

The Next Pennsylvania Oil Boom

How to Generate Income 100% of the Time...

Tell me that these aren't some of the best attention-grabbers you've seen. The articles go further with the headline and sometimes they are wrong. (Steve Jobs is probably not going to jail, even though he should for hiding expenses thus creating a better price scenario for Apple than it should have been) When they're wrong they fully admit it, which is a refreshing change from those who stick to their guns even when they're blatantly wrong. (google "politician" for more info)

It's fascinating reading and can give us business owners terrific insight as to what interests consumers as well as opportunities Edward Jones and CNBC would never tell you about. Little things such as writing style, tempo, and language add up to an interesting and engaging read. Imagine if they wrote like the WSJ or Barron's, which target financial experts. To the common investor, like me, it would be boring and I would have no interest. Chances are I would never have responded to their email solicitations had they written in financial expert language. But that's not their demographic - it's you and I.

Even though I would make money if I just bought their picks, reading why they recommend the stocks is an engaging learning experience. To understand the stock market is one thing. To make understanding the market fun for the average person is another. And these guys do it better than any other stock book, letter, or service that I've experienced.

I receive several paid monthly newsletters from Agora but they also offer a few free ones that are excellent too. Two of my fav. freebies from them is Daily Wealth and Growth Stock Wire.

Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom