Coupler or belt, pick your poison..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd say belts but many many years ago when Godzilla was just a lizard we had trouble with couplers. I'm sure they have much improved them but back in the day if you sucked up a rag it would shred the coupler. I know avoid rags...right! :errf:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
If you can master the rotational inertia/critical speed issue, couplers can be quite worthwhile. It is easier with a 4 cylinder inline than a v-twin. Couplers have been given a bad rap due to poor application mistakes. Alternatively, belt drives can also have their issues if rules aren't followed (cooling, wrap, tension, etc).

Reactions: dgardner

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
My first coupler lasted longer than my engine did. 4600 hours when I replaced it, and that was just because I thought I should put a new coupler in it when I put the new engine in it.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have a Dodge coupler with probably 10,000 hrs. A Roots 45-RAI turned by an old opposed 2 cylinder 23 horse Kohler. The pump is driven off the crank shaft and not the blower. I think it is well suited for this particular application. I think that coupler drive system will require the foot print to be larger than a belt drive.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
IF there is a well-engineered system to easily and accurately set alignment (other than a pile-o'-shims) and IF the frame is stiff enough to eliminate flex (and the resulting misalignment) then I would prefer a coupler, otherwise give me belts.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
ive had better luck with belts but I cool the heck out of them. They do make couplers that allow for misalignment but I've never tried one. When a coupler is properly aligned it will last a long time but the same goes for belts. I never cooled a coupler so that might of helped. Either way I would keep a spare on board with the knowledge of how to replace it. I already know how to replace my belts.

Gene.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
On my Pro 1200 I can't imagine a coupler system being an improvement on the present belt system. I don't think I have even changed my blower belts yet after 10000 hours but I could be wrong. It's been 12 years.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If properly specified it doesn't matter. The old toilet float style couplers from the 70s were problematic, but modern ones have no issues. Belts are only an issue if poor engineering makes replacement difficult, or if the belts used are too few or too wimpy for the load.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom