Coupler or Belt

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
This post may be a short one. But why one over the other in your opinion?

I remember years ago, running a namco TM with a coupler. That thing would break off easily. Alignment was always an issue lining it back up. It had a 23hp Kohler motor with little to no heat.

I like belts because it lasts longer but I could be wrong on that also. I’ve only used one coupler system and never seen others in action.

Name
Swani
I've only had a belt drive personally, but I've seen where guys running the couplers on machines like a Chemtex can't even make it a year. They are fairly pricey to replace and a real b-atch to align. Is there a specific machine you're looking at?

Reactions: LCCFL

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had couplers on a pair of Hydramaster units back in the 80's. They did pretty well, although if there was an excessive load, like a towel getting sucked up, it would shred the coupler. It rarely happened but after the first time we stocked a couple just in case.

Last edited:

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
I've only had a belt drive personally, but I've seen where guys running the couplers on machines like a Chemtex can't even make it a year. They are fairly pricey to replace and a real b-atch to align. Is there a specific machine you're looking at?
I've seen bad things about chemtex

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
never had a problem with couplers on the Steamway Powermatics which used a #8 or 9 (?) Woods coupler

blew exactly one coupler in appx 8000 hours between the two PM's

from my experience with only one manufacture of direct coupled TMs
pros;
they never slip like belts can and most certainly lasted longer than belts
cons;
Big PITA to change compared to belts

...L.T.A.

Reactions: LCCFL

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
never had a problem with couplers on the Steamway Powermatics which used a #8 or 9 (?) Woods coupler

blew exactly one coupler in appx 8000 hours between the two PM's

from my experience with only one manufacture of direct coupled TMs
pros;
they never slip like belts can and most certainly lasted longer than belts
cons;
Big PITA to change compared to belts

...L.T.A.
I can't do belts or couplers 😂😂

Reactions: Dolly Llama

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We had couplers on a pair of Hydramaster units back in the 80's. They did pretty well, although if there was an excessive load, like a towel getting sucked up, it would shred the coupler. It rarely happened but after the first time we stocked a couple just in case.
Coupler lifespan probably has everything to do with the level of engineering and build quality. We had a lot of those in HM slide ins in my early days, can't remember a single failure.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
If the engine and blower will run at the same rpm a coupler is slightly more efficient. MUST be aligned perfectly in X Y and Z axis or it will fail prematurely or immediately.

To do this use a 8 inch long piece of angle iron and put it against BOTH coupler cups. It must lay flush against both edges of the angle and both cups the full length. Move the angle around the cups to be sure.

If the blower needs to be over or under driven BELTS are the way to go. However forgiving they might be, they need to be properly aligned as well.

Reactions: Rob Grady

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
My first truckmount was a used TurboTech. Bought it in 1987. It had a Dodge PX70 coupler. I still run the same unit although it has a different engine, blower and pump. Still run the Dodge coupler. This unit has in excess 15,000 hours and only changed the coupler element twice. It is easy to align. Horizontal and vertical is easy, then I loosen the mounting bolts on the blower and engine, crank the engine a few times, then tighten every thing down. I don't know about other types of coupler but this one is great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom