Customer wants help choosing carpet

Name
Jesse
I've got a customer with a commercial building that is looking to replace their light beige Olefin with something that won't resoil as rapidly. They have had a bad experience with this carpet and want me to recommend their next purchase. I'd prefer to share the opinion of professionals rather than just my 02.

The current carpet is crushed in the traffic lanes and looks terrible 5-10 days after cleaning. They have hundreds of people per day tracking asphalt across the 1st floor. They have walk off mats and vacuum daily.

What would you as a professional cleaner recommend as far as fiber type? How about construction?

Thanks for your help

hogjowl

Idiot™
I am a huge fan of solution dyed nylon. Almost all of my regular commercial accounts have taken my advice and installed it over the years. One of my churches had it in their sanctuary and it lasted 16 years ... with regular maintenance, of course.

I understand that it's a bit higher in price, but it's resilience and resistance to oily soil will make it pay for itself in the end.

Stress the need for routine maintenance.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Solution dyed nylon is certainly going to be the most long-lasting fiber choice if it is in their budget. They should consider the extended life when deciding upon the budget.

Color of the color can also have a big effect on how soiled the carpet appears. A medium shade with several colors mixed together in a heather or tweed pattern hides more dirt. There are two kinds of soil. Light dirt that shows up on dark carpet and dark soil that shows up on light carpet such as the current beige. Going for middle ground to slightly dark will hide more soil.

With tracked in asphalt, no matter how much matting they have, they can likely use more matting.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree with the Solution dyed nylon.
Also:
  • With that level of traffic they need a high stitch count (dense) and heavy weight fiber.
  • A pronounced design (somewhat busy pattern) will work wonders for hiding stains and some wear.
Like everything else in life, it will cost them more $$ however in the long term it will both save them money and keep an inviting business appearance, which should be important to them as well.

Last edited:
Name
Bruce
Carpet Tiles would be my choice, and a solution dyed nylon fibre. Should last forever with proper maintenance
Why Carpet Tiles? I've never seen carpet tiles that ever looked good in any setting , most places will have tiles that have the corners pulling up or newer tiles that they used to replace older tiles , then you have a mixed match of tiles. just curious.

Back
Top Bottom