Customer was prying in my business too much

I have cleaned for this guy several times. First he is a big pussy. He is probably in his fifties and bows down to his wife. She dishes orders left and right and talks to him with no respect. Everytime I have cleaned for him he asks me subtle questions about my business. Today he got a little too pushy. How much money do you make in a week? Did you have a good year last year? How much does a machine like that cost? How many houses can you clean in a day? How did you get most of your business?

Ok by now I now what this guy is up to. I was polite and just told him this was a great business but it takes a lot of sacrifice and hard work to be successful. I then said my biggest regret was not lowering my prices and doing more jobs. :D

I am not against anyone making money and providing a great service. It's good for the industry or atleast I think it is. In the past I would talk to this guy about the stock market and he is always looking for a way to make a quick dollar. I go into his office/bedroom to start vacuuming and low and behold right on the computer screen "How to start a carpet cleaning business." I clicked back since he was outside and it was some link about easy home based business ideas.

I work my way downstairs and this guy is watching me like a hawk. I mean everything I do he is watching. I couldn't stand it so I said "you thinking about starting a cleaning service?" He said "what gave you that idea?" Um your computer screen and all the questions you are asking me. He says you seem to be making a lot of money and it doesn't look hard. I said "if you are going to do it then do it right and buy a Vortex. What's that? The most powerful carpet cleaning machine in the world. It wouldn't suprise me if he winds up on this board some how. We shall see.

Spurling

danielc said:
I said "if you are going to do it then do it right and buy a Vortex. What's that? The most powerful carpet cleaning machine in the world.

OH GREAT!!! .. Now he's gonna think you didnt give him the best cleaning job since you didnt use a Vortex ..

joe harper

Name
joe harper
CARDINAL RULE of carpet cleaning......#1.....

NEVER....comment or TOUCH....any "personal" ITEM ...in a cleint's HOME... :!:

Bob Foster

Funny, I was thinking of getting into this business and had Service Master clean my house. I asked a lot of questions of the employee tech and watched him like a hawk. Prior to that I had never seen a carpet professionally cleaned and had always rented a machine when I wanted to clean my carpets.

Two months later I bought a truck in another part of the island not in my area and worked with his employee for a couple of weeks as part of the deal.

You know the rest...

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
OK Harp, why is it a bad idea to comment on things seen. I sometimes use pictures of kids or hobbies that are hanging up to start conversations about things that are close to them. Is this a bad idea?

Like the other day I commented on an old Singer sewing machine that a client had, I told her I had one alot like it but that it wasn't in the pristine condition that hers' was in. She went on about the history of that sewing machine for 5 minutes. I once commented about who was the music artist in the house when I saw about 6 guitars hanging on a wall, the client went on to show me pictures of his wife with two of the Beatles and told me about the bands that he played in years ago. I could go on and on. Now you have me thinking that I have crossed some carpet cleaning tech proverbial line!

This would be quite different from my days in the restaurant business where we always coached our managers to get to know the customers, learn their kids names or even their dogs. If they ever had a sick animal or a child with a broken arm or won a ballgame or recieved sometype of special award and you would remember that and bring it up on their next visit they would be customers for life.

Harper you are right again, but I comment on things in customers homes all the time. I think that is why I get so much repeat business. If you are teaching your guys to be non sociable that is a bad business policy. I also touch everything I can because I make it a priority to move more stuff than the last guy and my customers appreciate that. I get what you are saying and you are right. A cleaner should never use a customers computer, phone, or anything personal. This guy however lost all credibility with me and I decided to knock the job out and never go back.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Daniel you should gave him the wand for a bit, he would have changed his tone.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Billy,

The LINE...is real easy....

ALWAYS...let the cleint comment...about any ITEM in their home FIRST....
Then it is only common courtesy..engage in a conversation....

COULPLE of EXAMPLES:

1.Never comment about family photos...Women don't like for strangers to comment how
attractive their children...You may THINK so..but they don't..Too PERSONAL...

2.Never comment how NICE or EXPENSIVE items such as jewerly,electronics,paintings,
or vehicles are...They may perceive that you will come back later or charge them a higher
price...because they have money...!

3.You move a bedside table and see a pair of womens underware or a personal drawer
is left open..DO NOT TOUCH IT..! Just say "Mrs.Smith"..ther are some personal ITEMS
in the bedroom...Iam SURE you don't want anyone touching YOUR personal things...I
will be happy to wait while you put them away..

4. ect...ect...It is just a good policy...!!!

PS...If she is REALLY HOT....You can certianly SMELL them 1ST.... :p

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
If a dildoe rolls out from under the bed, dont touch it. Ask the costomer too. J/K KICK BACK UNDER

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Daniel,

You are the OWNER..... :!:
How YOU conduct yourself is a JUDGEMENT call....!

SOON, you will have employees... :wink:
you had BETTER have a POLICY in place for them.... :idea:

Their judgement....can SERIOUSLY...effect your business..."SPELL IT OUT..!!"

Example:

Your tech may never use PROFANITY in a cleints home...BUT.... :idea:
The lady in the house ..might say..My husband is such a lazy basturd...!
and then she says...He is such a pain-in-my-ass sometimes...!

So the tech engages in a conversation with her...as she RANTs on...!!!!!!!
She is just VENTING...on & on..!!! Later in the conservation as she wants him
to confirm her aggravation...

Your tech says..You are right..Some men are just inconsiderate.."COCK-SUCKERS". :shock:

HARPER said:
Daniel,

You are the OWNER..... :!:
How YOU conduct yourself is a JUDGEMENT call....!

SOON, you will have employees... :wink:
you had BETTER have a POLICY in place for them.... :idea:

Their judgement....can SERIOUSLY...effect your business..."SPELL IT OUT..!!"

Example:

Your tech may never use PROFANITY in a cleints home...BUT.... :idea:
The lady in the house ..might say..My husband is such a lazy basturd...!
and then she says...He is such a pain-in-my-ass sometimes...!

So the tech engages in a conversation with her...as she RANTs on...!!!!!!!
She is just VENTING...on & on..!!! Later in the conservation as she wants him
to confirm her aggravation...

Your tech says..You are right..Some men are just inconsiderate.."COCK-SUCKERS". :shock:

This thread took a turn somehow. When did COCK-SUCKERS become part of this thread? I would never use any profanity unless a nice looking female customer asks me to. :p My philosophy is smile, make small talk, tell the customer their slobbering dog is the cutest thing ever, give some cleaning tips, and most importantly make them laugh. They always call me back.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
About 18 years ago, I was a sub-contractor for Sears, I was cleaning a customer's home in the hood. When I moved the couch out, there was something green hanging half way out from under the couch. I thought it was a dog toy that looked like a cucumber. When I reached down to pick it up, it was a dildo. I kicked it back under the couch after we cleaned it. The lady was really unsightly, I couldn't wash my hands fast enough. I still have nightmares till this day. lol

p.s. Sorry to get off topic, the whole story brought back memories

Ok this thread really took a turn.

I hope you are happy Al. Some of us try to have a little fun, but you are right about posting certain things.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Dealing with all the different people we do as carpet cleaners, they open right up. the stories could go on and on. :shock:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I am just amazed at what people will put out on the internet for anyone to read and feel comfortable about it. Like everyone doing work in peoples home I have had women approach me in a friendly manner but if you present yourself in a professional manner it will not go anywhere. If you have women propositioning you then you are giving the wrong signals. Unless that is what you are going for I guess. As far as clicking the back button on someones computer to see what they are viewing.. I am speechless.
Al

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
While most times I would agree that its not a good idea to touch a customers stuff. When it gets to the point that a customer is considering becoming a competitor because they percieve that you make what they thing is easy money.. they run out and get the cheapest truckmount/ portable... end up the business in the long enough to piss some people off while making some descent money.. even pulling business away from you. Then gone in a few years again. (you did say he was fifty) Mean while the damage is done.

So in this case since it was obvious what you were doing.. sometimes its good to have a competitive edge to stay ahead of your possible competition. Personally I may have even sent him to ***. :twisted:

It's no different than the guy nosing through my truck checking out my equipment (normally I would be thrilled but not from someone that openly admits to wanting to be my competitor) while I am cleaning the carpet. I would have walked on the job if I already had not set up. I guess it is the economy.

Next time something like this happens I will just offer to do a ride along for a few weeks and give up my customer list. :|

I was actually amused at first. I didn't want to offend the guy, but it was right there in plain site "How to start a carpet cleaning business." I guess he was hoping I would see it and offer up some advice without actually asking me. There is nothing wrong with that and I welcome honest hard working people over rip off bait and switch con artists.

It's kind of hard to debate you on this subject with a BIG NOTHING PROFILE. I may have to do the same.

You're a funny guy Fred. I am glad you think I am a pos. In truth I am the nicest most honest person. I don't know what I did to make you think that of me but that is your right. Saying stuff on some cleaning board is one thing. Saying it in real life is a different matter. Holla at you Fred.

gary mackay

That is 100% hack status! You need need to hook up with lunch pail Larry, he helps himself to bottled water or fruit left out and loves to touch peoples stuff.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
danielc said:
It's no different than the guy nosing through my truck checking out my equipment .

Do you mean "nosing" as looking visually into your truck?
Or physically touching things in your truck, like maybe opening your glove box?
Different ballgame once something is touched, don't you think?

You crossed a line that you should not have, and all because you feel "threatened" by some guy that shows an interest in your business?

You need to grow some balls, competition will always be at your throat.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Easy on the guy, he made a bad mistake. hopefully he learned a lesson. He did'nt rob, rape or kill someone.

Oh my God. Some people are so damn gullible it is not even funny.

I have great customers and love what I do. I have learned so much on this cleaning board. I laugh my ass off everyday on this board. Jim Martin, Harper, and others have helped me out tremendously.

I have customers all the time enquire about my business mostly becasue they are fascinated about someone my age owning a business. They ask me all the time how I got started, what made me want to clean carpet, and other things about my business. I love talking with them about my business.

Did the customer I am refering to go beyond the normal questioning? Yes

Do I care? Heck no.

Was the computer displaying a "how to start a carpet cleaning link" in plain sight for me to see? No. That would be the strangest thing. I can't believe anyone one picked up on that right away

Did I surf the customer's computer? No. I would never do something like that without permission.

Am I trying to get people to laugh and have a good time? Yes. All the time

Everything I have ever said is 100 percent true. I apologize for bending the truth on this subject. I wanted to see what people would say and how they would react. It worked and stirred up plenty of controversy.

Did Fred Cordell cross the line when he callled me a piece of shit? I think he did. I can understand someone joking around. I am a forgiving person but not forgetful. I have too much pride and respect for myself. Fred you don't even know me.

By the way I can't believe people fell for the MSG crap. I know I did. I actually believed some poor dog died.

Fred I can't believe you would say something like that. I would never call someone a piece of shit over something that doesn't concern me. I have a feeling you will sing a different tune in person. We shall see.

With that said Brett Favre is the MAN and I am ready to watch some great football.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
You have accomplished absolutely nothing with this post, other than making yourself look like a total asshole, if you think otherwise, I strongly recommend increasing your meds.

loser.jpg

RIP IT

Name
Chris
Dr.Phil here,
I'm prescribing you both a chill pill to be washed down with an ice cold beer or three.
The most important thing about mistakes is learning from them.
Most of us are human and we all make mistakes.
Stress less, live longer.

Getting back to dildo stories, several years ago I went out with some mates on our usual Friday night bender and was introduced to a girl named Karen. During the usual banter she asked what I did for a living. Three days later she books me in to clean her carpets and as I'm walking into her bedroom she walks out and what do you reckon is lying right in the middle of her bed. Biggest damn vibrator known to man. I though it must have been diesel powered but with a quick sideways glance I could see it had what looked like a 3 phase power lead on it :shock: :shock: .
I finished the job, got paid and left. True. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom