Damage waiver for in-home furniture moving

talisman

Name
Gopala Walker
Hello,

This is my first post. I was recommended to this board by Mike Pailliotet from Connoisseur.

I am one of the owners of an oriental rug cleaning company. We do all our cleaning in our workshop, but we spend significant time in client's homes with the removal and installation of the rugs (and sometimes pads) once complete.

My men are vastly experienced with moving furniture, but we're being asked to move more and more beds, glass-top tables, and other items which present risk. We go as far as disassembling headboards from bed frames and so on.

I am wondering what best practice is for getting a client to sign a waiver against any damage that may occur with work in the home. Our invoice which the client signs has some disclaimers regarding the cleaning, but nothing yet on this topic. And currently the client only signs that after the removal has been complete.

I am thinking of having a form that my men can ask to be signed only in cases where they arrive at the home and find furniture that they know will present risk. Several other questions come to mind, such as what to do when the owner is not available to sign (housekeeper, babysitter, or other let's us in).

I realize we could refuse to move some furniture, which we do for most pianos, pool tables or anything that is physically beyond the ability of the two men we send, but turning away all beds would potentially lose work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gopala Walker

Last edited:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I doubt anyone would sign something- I wouldn't. We occassionally in an extreme case might write on work order that something is being moved or done at customer's own risk but mostly just take the effort to do if safely and absorb the risk ourselves. Ocassionally we screw up and buy/fix something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Would you really play your waiver card if your employees do accidentally break a clients belongings??

"My apologies Ms. Piff, I understand MY employees broke YOUR furniture, but you did sign a waiver releasing us from responsibility..... Have a nice day."

Either decide to move something, or decide not to move it.
If you decide to move it, then you must absorb the risk.
I don't think there is any way to fully insulate yourself from responsibility.

I remember some post about most insurance policies NOT covering situations like these, unless the was a specific supplemental coverage for this type of damage. Probably best to talk to your insurance agent and make sure your arse is covered in these situations, other than that, the rest lies in the decisions and actions of your employees, so best to make sure they are on the same page as you, regarding what is acceptable to move, and what are acceptable moving procedures.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We occassionally in an extreme case might write on work order that something is being moved or done at customer's own risk but mostly just take the effort to do if safely and absorb the risk ourselves. Ocassionally we screw up and buy/fix something.
Ditto.

Listen to Ed Cross talk about contracts and you'll get the picture that having someone sign a waiver doesn't really do you any good since you'd have to prove that it was clearly explained and they understood. the most effective way to handle this might be to have the customer write a waiver in their own words on your paperwork. They'll remember what they wrote and you'll have your proof that they understood in their handwriting.

$30,000.00 deSede couch from Switzerland. Drivers knew better. Let the customer beg them into moving it. Our fault.
1116.png

talisman

Name
Gopala Walker
Thanks for those who replied, I appreciate the feedback.

I admit I am surprised to hear that waivers are not common practice.

I agree with the comments above. It seems as if good communication with the customers, and a clear policy for my men are the best solution.

Patient and careful work in the home has been one of the cornerstones of our reputation. Clients may not get to see the steps we take during the cleaning of the rugs, but when they see the results combined with the care taken in the home, I know it gives them the confidence to use us again and to recommend us to others.

Thanks again,

Gopala

Mikey P

Administrator
Gopala, while I have you here, maybe you could take a few minutes to describe your process and tell us a bit about your companies history.

if you look in the Hardware room, you'll see some current discussions on all sort of fancy rug washing equipment that I know your "Rug Care Studio" does not use yet continues to provide amazingly clean rugs and textiles...

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?262879-Centrum-Force-buys-the-Moore-Machine

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?263003-Rug-Wash-Tubs

glenboy

Name
GLEN
waivers were a common practice when i worked at a large company in the late 1980s they had 30 wall carpet uph vans goin 2 alum siding clean vans and 2 paint crews.they all had waivers.and people sighned them with no prob.today i bet is different

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
we've discussed disclaimer waivers before, ie wrt carpet cleaning. The common response was that the waiver really didn't mean anything. They could always go to court and file a claim.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
we've discussed disclaimer waivers before, ie wrt carpet cleaning. The common response was that the waiver really didn't mean anything. They could always go to court and file a claim.

You may be legally right, Ron. However, I found the act of them signing to make a huge difference in their perception, understanding and awareness.
If you can also have them write the waver, as Bryan suggests, I'd think you'd be 100% legally covered.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Best approach is document damage before you touch anything. Find something, stop, document it, get the customer there, point it out, have them sign off on it.

While not turning customers off - you are still protecting yourself from undue claims.

Reactions: Ron Werner

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
thats definitely a better way to approach it. Own up to any damage, even if they aren't there at the time, make sure you point it out to them. A gent I know got all ticked at a company because he believed they broke a bifold closet door and didn't tell him. They break all the time and he would have just fixed it himself. I cleaned at a place and the client complained about a bifold being broke. I know I didn't break it but I took it and fixed it anyway.
I made a lifetime client of a lady when I owned up to breaking a Norman Rockwell plate. I phoned her up within an hour of getting home to tell her I had a replacement on the way. That was back in 94.
Another job where I was moving "EVERYTHING", bout 2 yrs ago, a lampshade fell and broke a decorative plate (I hate these plates!! :errf: ) Told the owner, $200-300 would have replaced everything. Job was billed at $500. I never did get anything from that job. Learning experience. I've never worked since for the realtor that referred me although they got one very complete job that no one else would have even attempted, and I shouldn't have.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
We don't do waivers but there are some things we just won't move paintings, sculptures, pool tables

How's David Walker these days ?

Name
Lee Stockwell
We moved a couch from a carpet to an adjacent vinyl dining area. Had a nail in a leg sticking out. Nasty tear.

I fixed it, and made a new rule.... "move nothing onto vinyl".

pinosan

Name
Martin
Hello,

This is my first post. I was recommended to this board by Mike Pailliotet from Connoisseur.

I am one of the owners of an oriental rug cleaning company. We do all our cleaning in our workshop, but we spend significant time in client's homes with the removal and installation of the rugs (and sometimes pads) once complete.

My men are vastly experienced with moving furniture, but we're being asked to move more and more beds, glass-top tables, and other items which present risk. We go as far as disassembling headboards from bed frames and so on.

I am wondering what best practice is for getting a client to sign a waiver against any damage that may occur with work in the home. Our invoice which the client signs has some disclaimers regarding the cleaning, but nothing yet on this topic. And currently the client only signs that after the removal has been complete.

I am thinking of having a form that my men can ask to be signed only in cases where they arrive at the home and find furniture that they know will present risk. Several other questions come to mind, such as what to do when the owner is not available to sign (housekeeper, babysitter, or other let's us in).

I realize we could refuse to move some furniture, which we do for most pianos, pool tables or anything that is physically beyond the ability of the two men we send, but turning away all beds would potentially lose work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gopala Walker

creating those waivers creates a wall between you and the client and if you touch and you break it, you pay it; that is the legal side of it.
before you move furniture have your techs take pictures of any existing damage.
and point it out to the client if not present or someone to represent him older than 18 then don't move it
charge accordingly.
I would stay away from pianos. You need to know how to move them properly or you will be paying up to 1K for tuning.
Last but no least you are worried about not moving beds cuz you will loose some of your jobs, well, create that waiver and you will loose all jobs.
present yourself as a trust worthy service provider instead making yourself look like a freak who is covering his butt before he starts the job.
Your clients will lose confidence in you

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Snow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom