Damaged Leather

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
This suite was in a fire. The lounge room wasn't too badly affected, but the heat melted the lights above and a drop of plastic dripped on the ottoman leaving this tiny bit of damage.

It's a Chinese sourced suite and they only do fukll suites and no single units.

Finished two tone leather. The molten plastic has puckered the leather.

Can this be rectified?

What process would you use?

Cheers, John

(In my current position I declined and they sold it to me for less than 10%)

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
John Middleton said:
It's a Chinese sourced suite and they only do fukll suites and no single units.

John is there some letters missing or did you put an extra one in by mistake? LOL - Couldn't resist sorry :lol:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Opps :oops: :oops: :oops:

Everytime I put a foot wrong, everyone notices, and for those that might have missed it, it's highlighted so that don't miss it :roll: :lol:

IMG_3990.jpg

Happy now?

Jack :?

harryhides

Name
Tony
John Middleton said:
Everytime I put a foot wrong, everyone notices, and for those that might have missed it, it's highlighted so that don't miss it :roll: :lol:
Happy now?
Jack :?

Well just barely. :mrgreen:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Quote:

"it's highlighted so that don't miss it"

Is something not here, not highlighted, that I have not missed :?: :mrgreen:

Everything is repairable.

Just last week as I was star gazing, looking for the Aurora Borealis, I suddenly realised that I was not in the northern hemisphere so I wasting my time.

So instead, I looked at the puckered planet of Uranus.

Which also looks strikingly similar to your pic John.

I know this is no help, but I thought it was a coincidence that I was looking at Uranus not knowing that the following week, you would come up with this pic;

Most amazing :shock:

Ooroo :roll:

Roger Koh

This picture #1 shows heat damaged that cause the leather to shrink.
0202.jpg

This picture #2 shows a pool of relaxer3.3™ that sits on the surface to rehydrate the leather.
025-1.jpg

This picture #3 shows a cotton pad soak with fatliquor5.0™ under a clear plastic sheet - re-fatliquoring the leather.
0012.jpg

This picture #4 shows leatherTool6™ working to stretch the soften leather.
0292.jpg

This picture #5 shows the result after relaxer3.3™ > fatliquor5.0™ > leatherTool6™ > d’Grease4.9™ > clean3.8™ > rinse3.0™ semiColor74™ > semiTop57M™ > leatherScent’B™ > Heat-Treatment.
DSC_0085.jpg

Questions are welcome!

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

jayjacques

Nice looking work Leather Doc. For the OP I've been doing leather work for years. But I also stop short of real funky stuff that requires heating, stretching, etc. Leatherique or Soffener for relaxing/softening yeah maybe. But for tweaking and damage that needs repairing, you gotta be ready to do color matching.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Roger, couple of questions:

How much actual time would you spend working on that jacket :?:

Also

How much time would be spent with the jacket just laying there, allowing the leather to absorb the solutions :?:

Just trying to get a mental picture of overall time for that repair and break it down into segments.

Regardless of whatever it is that one repairs, I often hear the same bitch,

"That's a lot of money for the time you spent"

A reply that is getting more common is..........

"It's not how long I spent fixing it, it's knowing HOW to fix it"

Well done.

Thanks & Ooroo :roll:

Roger Koh

The relaxer3.3™ that does the rehydrating takes an overnight soak, follows with fatliquor5.0™ an overnight soak too!

This two days soaking soften the leather to be work on with the leatherTool6™ to stretch the “cooked leather”.

Heat treatment (5-10 minutes) follows after the leather is completely dry after stretching (15-45 minutes).
Charges = $150

d’Grease4.9™ > clean3.8™ > rinse3.0™ > fatliquoring5.0™ (an hour plus/minus).
Charges = $100

semiColor74™ > semiTop57M™ > leatherScent’B™ > Heat-Treatment (an hour plus/minus).
Charges = $250

Picture #1 shows the before, see the crease on the sleeves.
0132.jpg

Picture #2 shows the after, see the smartness of the sleeves (heat-treatment after fatliquoring).
DSC_0077.jpg

jayjacques

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
How much is that Jacket worth retail ?

That's what's always in the back or even front of my mind when giving quotes; How much did it originally cost? And secondly sentimental value. So pricing for repair has to be under that. A kitchen chair that is only worth $40-$50 versus a luxurious expensive couch $2-$3,000 would be a good example. Oh yeah, and I paid $39.95 for my leather jacket. I guess it's not quite as nice as the one here. LOL

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I love sentimental values!!!!

Another thing to consider, where was it bought from? eg an over seas trip that won't be repeated? Is it still available?

When do repair work of any sort, these all come into play and at times, I've done repair work on items exceeding itianal purchase value... usually because the client's emotions come into play in a big way.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom