Damn...ran out of Red Vanish!

Ran out of red vanish ...and tomorrow have a bunch of red stains..looks like kool-aid...to remediate...

Have live streamer and iron available.

Any suggestions on a easily available product to use?

Any "home brew " suggestions?

"Is there a chemist in the house?"

Name
Lee Stockwell
No home brew is going to match Steve's one-part product. It's the best in our experience.

There's been plenty already posted on the recipe for the two-part product clones.

Thanks,
Lee

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I think Lee works for the manufacturers. lol

50/50 of Hydrgen Peroxide and Non-Sudsing Ammonia.

Farenheit251

Many use clear amonia from the grocery store and I've used it in a pinch. Not as effective and some risk of color loss.

Two local members just PM'ed me with offers for Red One and Red Vanish....man... you gotta love this Board.. :D

Thank you!

tim

You can also use a coffee stain remover or powdered peroxide with ammonia. Ran out of Red Vanish and tried it, worked like a charm!

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've never shilled for any mfg's chemicals. However I'd rather see someone look in the "goldmine" for questions like this. A lot of misinformation gets posted otherwise, most of it usually harmless.

Red removers are usually either oxidizer + base accelerant or reducer + acid accelerant. Heat speeds up and intensifies the reaction (sometimes too much).

much more....

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Most two part red removers are sodium metabisulfate and amonia. And of course some added proprietary chemistry. But remember most red removers for synthetic dyes is a reducer boostd with alkaline.

Name
Lee Stockwell
David have you checked the pH of each? The reduction combinations (like Red Relief) are usually around 6.0 and the oxidizing combinations (like Stain Magic) are around 9.0+.

Thanks,
Lee

ps there are many variations including buffers stabilizers etc.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Lee Stockwell said:
I...A lot of misinformation gets posted ....

This thread takes the prize.

The man indicates he's out of a reducing agent, and half the responses are for an oxidizer concoction. Whoa!

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Shawn Forsythe said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":2fc5e1pd]I...A lot of misinformation gets posted ....

This thread takes the prize.

The man indicates he's out of a reducing agent, and half the responses are for an oxidizer concoction. Whoa![/quote:2fc5e1pd]

I thought it was a reducing agent but isn't htere ammonia mixed with it?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Lee Stockwell said:
David have you checked the pH of each? The reduction combinations (like Red Relief) are usually around 6.0 and the oxidizing combinations (like Stain Magic) are around 9.0+.

Thanks,
Lee

ps there are many variations including buffers stabilizers etc.

Sorry lee for some reason i was thinking Red one! Which is exactly as I stated.. well ok Ammonia Hydroxide not pure amonia, and sodium metabisulfate. (and stinks horribly!)

Yeah most reducers will use an acidic catalyst like you pointed out.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Albert, sudsing will work but for times when you want it in Stain magic, regual amonia is a self neutralizing agent so both the hydrogern peroxide and amonia would neutralize to regular H20 and won't leave a residue.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Willie posted something awhile back about being able to buy sodium metabisulfate over the counter at the grocery store. He said it’s sold as potato whitener. You could give that a try boosted it with some acetic acid and heat. Does anyone else know of a readily available reducer?

tim

Shawn, he never asked for another reducing agent, he asked what else he could use to take out koolaid stains. I use a reducing agent but when I run out and need a quick fix, it's nice to know what else on the truck will work until you can get more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom