Dare I say the words..... Christmas bonus?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We normally give a fairly decent Christmas Bonus, but business has not been as good as past years. So my question is, should their bonus reflect the lower sales?

I've not heard a single employee make mention of it, which is unusual, usually they are asking how big it will be.

I think they've earned one, they've worked hard and the loss in sales isn't due to anything on their part.

Dan thinks they are lucky to be employed and if we must give them one it needs to be reflective of the down year. (Grinch)

What is your opinion reflective of the sales or not?

Are you planning on giving one?

Are planning on getting one? (does your boss know?)

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
We have always given an "end year bonus". From $100.00 to 5,000.00 and it is reflective of not only the years sales but cash flow also. This year is undetermined as of now. It's been a very good year but I'm keen on hoarding a little more reserve than in years past.
Al

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was thinking a genuine thank you and
spam.gif

is that not cool?
:wink:

Josh Adler

Richard,

My Father is probably going thru the same thing at this very moment. In years past he gave and looked forward to "year end" bonus's but like you said business hasnt been as good as it has in years past.

He did give bonus's last yr but they were not what they were in years past. Its not due to his valued employees not working hard enough but to ensure that they still have jobs for the upcoming year. Like you said you dont know what the future will bring....so prepare yourself.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
if you bonused previously as a percentage of sales (company or individual?) then by all means do so again this year and it will be reflective of the downturn in sales and they will understand.

If you decide to not do a bonus or go for a ham or gift card instead of cash, PLEASE let them know asap. it's tough if they are relying on an expected bonus for Xmas gifts or such, and then find out at the last minute it's not coming.

Take care,
Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you decide to not do a bonus or go for a ham or gift card instead of cash, PLEASE let them know asap. it's tough if they are relying on an expected bonus for Xmas gifts or such, and then find out at the last minute it's not coming.
Yea I wouldn't want to pull the rug out from under them.

We usually give them out the day before Thanksgiving, so they can take advantage of Black Friday.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rctpks said:
I think they've earned one, they've worked hard and the loss in sales isn't due to anything on their part.

Dan thinks they are lucky to be employed and if we must give them one it needs to be reflective of the down year. (Grinch)

this is what jumps out at me, Rich

they've worked hard and the loss in sales isn't due to anything on their part.

guess everyone makes their own biz decisions based on their own reasoning and I won't say whether their's is right or wrong

but my Christmas bonus isn't tied to to revenues.
it's something I do to show my appreciation.

It's not a "profit sharing" bonus to me...it's a gift
having said that, I s'pose it's a much easier decision for me than others with a large staff.
(cause there's only 3 or us)

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
rctpks said:

this is what jumps out at me, Rich

they've worked hard and the loss in sales isn't due to anything on their part.

guess everyone makes their own biz decisions based on their own reasoning and I won't say whether their's is right or wrong

but my Christmas bonus isn't tied to to revenues.
it's something I do to show my appreciation.

It's not a "profit sharing" bonus to me...it's a gift
having said that, I s'pose it's a much easier decision for me than others with a large staff.
(cause there's only 3 or us)

..L.T.A.

ya whats nine bucks......?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rich, Lie down and get comfortable, then tell Dr. Oz why you give a bonus.

Is it profit sharing?

Because it makes you feel good?

Because you want to buy the employee's loyalty?

A combination?

How does figuring this out make you feel?

What will you do now?

Times up, Dr. Oz has left the building. !gotcha!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Doc
It all started in fourth grade my teacher was sooo hot that I ....what?
Oh, wrong problem.! :wink:

My guess is a combination of all three.

It has been a carrot, in past times we did two a year back in the glory years. A midyear and year end bounus. But the last one no matter what we called it, the employees saw it as a Christmas bonus.

Feel good? Well yea, no semi or anything like that but I like to know they have something in their pocket for the holiday season.

Buy loyalty? Maybe, but really it would be to reward those that have been "company" employees. The others really can't be bought, they either feel entitled or just don't appreciate it.

Maybe I should just take the money and head for the islands? :wink:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Imagine the impact you'll make when you tell them that the profit sharing money isn't there this year, but you greatly appreciate them and that their hard work is important to the future health of the company, and you just want to give them a gift of cash this year. Even if the amount is smaller they'll appreciate it.

If you poor-mouth too much, it'll backfire when you roll up in your new Bentley.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Call me Scrooge.

For a few years I gave a Christmas Bonus. (in my bicycle shop) Then I went to just giving a Turkey and a card.

I try to pay well and give them great conditions to work in.

I feel if you are paying an employee a percentage of the gross on the truck they work on then they are already fully paid.

The best way to motivate humans is random rewards of random sizes. (this is why gambling works to addict humans so well) A $20 bill and the afternoon off with pay, might go further than a $1000 bonus. A $1000 bonus actually might be a demotivator if they got a $2000 bonus last year.

Yearly Christmas Bonuses become a right of the employee within a year or two and do not motivate.

A gift is a gift so treat it like one.

I don't spend thousands on gifts for my friends or employees.

Call me scrooge but employees sell you their time. Sometimes for less than they are worth and sometimes more than they are worth. Worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Scrooge Junior

Salt Lake City Carpet Cleaning

Kalispell and Big Fork Carpet Cleaning

Didn't you post on here a while back that you grossed 300k and 700k in consecutive months? Even if my figures are wrong, whatever you gave last year you should add to it or double it. You won't be hurting. Now if your bonuses are like 10 grand I can see, but if they are a grand then yeah add to that amount even if your sales are lower.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
kansas has one of the lowest unemployment rates around, so don't blame the economy too much, besides restoration biz should not be effected that much from it, everywhere I worked when it came time for christmas bonuses it was always we have had a tough year, bonuses will be reduced, never did I work anywhere and they said wow we had a great year, here is a fat bonus. last place I worked I was there for 10 mos out of the year, and worked very hard, at least as hard as anyone else, they all got bonuses I didn't. and my boss was too chicken $hit to go to bat for me.

so with that said, I think the bonuses should be based on 2 things, performance, and a % of profits. it should be very matter of fact. leave the whining and complaining about a bad year etc out of it

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Daniel
It was 300 followed by a 40 and we also had a 250 followed by a 50 month. Feast or famine, year to date down 150, it's been tough sledding this year. I thought last year was bad, but this year has sucked.

Steve
While you wouldn't normally think the economy affects the restoration business it still does.

We have seen a lot more estimates where in the end the homeowners cash out with the insurance company (for less that it would take to actually do the work).

"Lets make a deal" with deductibles, we recently had a decent fire that upon inspection the homeowner asked if we could work out something with his $1,000.00 deductible. Dan told him he could do some of the cleaning and laundry, he said "No I mean where I don't have do do anything or pay anything", we didn't do that job, we don't do that.

Had a $3,000.00 water loss Tuesday that we looked at, brand new carpet, she was in tears when we told her how much, said she had no money (large nice home). We offered to allow her to make payments and she thanked us but it's been 3-days and have not heard back.

We even had a business owner that had several building affected get paid off our estimate, over $100,000.00 and we ended up doing only $5,000.00 in deodorizing. He used the cleaning money to remodel it himself.

Had a regular carpet cleaning customer that lives in the affluent part of town pay half of the minimum and said bill her for the other $75.00. Half a million dollar home and she couldn't come up with $75.00 more dollars? :shock:

When things are tight or perceived to be tight then people get by, even if they have to wash or paint their own walls or clean their own contents.

I could go on and on, but the point is it does affect the restoration business regardless of employment statistics. I'm way off the original subject, sorry!

I think we are pretty much committed to giving them something, mostly likely less than last year. :|

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
As long as we're way off topic here:

i noticed the song in your signature today Richard,

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

"If Today Was Your Last Day" Nickelback

I love that song. thanks for posting it.

Take care,
Lisa

steve g

Name
steve garrett
rctpks said:
Daniel

Steve
While you wouldn't normally think the economy affects the restoration business it still does.

We have seen a lot more estimates where in the end the homeowners cash out with the insurance company (for less that it would take to actually do the work).

"Lets make a deal" with deductibles, we recently had a decent fire that upon inspection the homeowner asked if we could work out something with his $1,000.00 deductible. Dan told him he could do some of the cleaning and laundry, he said "No I mean where I don't have do do anything or pay anything", we didn't do that job, we don't do that.

Had a $3,000.00 water loss Tuesday that we looked at, brand new carpet, she was in tears when we told her how much, said she had no money (large nice home). We offered to allow her to make payments and she thanked us but it's been 3-days and have not heard back.
:|

the economy does have an effect, it also seems like business is good when people are out and about spending, like as in all summer long, it does get dead in jan,feb,
march, unless there are freezing temps cold enough.

richard, in regards to the cash outs, there are some ways of avoiding this however it is a delicate dance that needs to be handled by a road wise guy. ideally I don't make up an estimate until we are well into the work or even better done with it, I have them sign an authorization, then just tell them the insurance will cover our work and me and the adjuster will hash it out. that way they don't see the well messaged estimate I work up that has everything in it, because honestly if they did, more than half the people would keep the money because its a lot, I use xactimate so I am not doing anything wrong, I am just savvy at estimating and making sure everything thing is in the breakdown. I avoid at all costs the insured seeing this until the work is done or its too late. I don't want the time and effort I spend writing and estimate to just go to them. normally its fine for them to see the one the insurance makes up because most adjusters leave out half of the line items that should be there. when they see that one initially it normally doesn't trigger the $$$$ signs, but if they see mine it darn sure will

I did have a guy want me to cover the deductible, it was a larger job and I said ok, I could cover $500, it was a farmers job and they nickel and dimed me till I was blue in the face, to top it off we replaced carpet that was only a few months old with the same carpet, even being warned before hand that the dye lot would not be the same, and as it turned out was on the extreme end, I ended up eating replacing the stairs. then the whined about the paint and it not being done, till I showed them the caulk lines above the base had been painted over an the nails holding up the pics had paint on them. then the insurance after being asked repeatedly to include our name on the check writes them a check for the hole thing, just to them, which lead to all the problems above as they knew whatever they could weasel out of paying, was money in their pocket, did I mention farmers SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: if anyone is reading this and happen to have them for your own insurance, get rid of them, trust me the claims department will hose you one way or the other.

a few months back looked at a job that was a broken sprinkler line, the people had allstate, "you know your in good hands with ALLSUCK" (see above recommendation for farmers the same applies to allsuck) anyways no coverage for any outside water at all. pergo floors ruined, walls soaked, etc etc, told the lady she had major structural damage, but if I could get paid upon completion of the dryout I would cut my normal rate in half and dry it for 2k, she looked to her daughter and said you are not going to have any money for college. they flat out didn't have the money, outside was a brand new SUV, a 50k ski boat, and she had some of the fakest tits I have seen in a while, some people and their priorities, when they are that out of whack you just want to say something.

Back
Top Bottom