de-foamers added to pre-sprays..does it matter???

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
do commonly used de-foamers added to pre-sprays cause a lose of chem efficacy?

if so, why?

and what other problems are associated with adding commonly used D-F'rs to pre-sprays?

Thanks

..L.T.A.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Most every defoamer, whether liquid or powder, should not be mixed with cleaning chemicals prior to emulsification. While they do not cause problems after emulsification, they will impede performance prior to established micelle formation. Powdered defoamers used on carpet surfaces are used after presprays have been applied an agitated(post emulsification).

Notice I said "most every defoamer". Bridgepoint does have a defoamer additive, called "FOAM DEFENSE", which is alright to be added to presprays. I don't know of any others off hand that are also suited for prespray addition.

cr06qt_lg.jpg

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Use presprays that have less foam generating qualities.

In my opinion liquid presprays will have more foaming capabilities than most powders.

Adding a citrus booster only elevates the possibility of more foam in the vacuum line stunting and limiting airflow thus leading to longer drying times.

On the other hand a less foam generating prespray will accelerate extraction capabilities and increase airflow and enhance leaving the carpet in a "Dryer" state.

Then another angle to foaming is to use a foamless emulsifier or less surfactant acid rinse.
This too will aid and perhaps enhance leaving the carpet in a less moist state.

:shock:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Re: Defoamers added to pre-sprays..does it matter???

Larry;

Most defoamers are NOT good additives for any prespray.

We use in our formulations a defoaming surfactant with very good cleaning properties.

The best formulations would use these components.

Some solvents also depress foam.

Larry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The need for anyone to use defoamers diminishes each year as it is rare to find products in our industry that require them.

Most often defoamers are only used for preexisting residues of products that should never have been used on carpet anyway, usually by DIY's.

R

R W

Walrus said:
Use presprays that have less foam generating qualities.

In my opinion liquid presprays will have more foaming capabilities than most powders.

Adding a citrus booster only elevates the possibility of more foam in the vacuum line stunting and limiting airflow thus leading to longer drying times.

On the other hand a less foam generating prespray will accelerate extraction capabilities and increase airflow and enhance leaving the carpet in a "Dryer" state.

Then another angle to foaming is to use a foamless emulsifier or less surfactant acid rinse.
This too will aid and perhaps enhance leaving the carpet in a less moist state.

:shock:

Jimmy....that's just brilliant, from one short, bald cleaner to another.

That's why I use Procyon, and if needed, crystal defoamer. Vac-aways "Grime Reaper" kicks up a little foam, but not much. I mix that in my pre-spray.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shawn Forsythe said:
The need for anyone to use defoamers diminishes each year as it is rare to find products in our industry that require them.

Most often defoamers are only used for preexisting residues of products that should never have been used on carpet anyway, usually by DIY's.

I hardly ever use any defoamers... The times I have used them were when a customer was cleaning there carpet with dawn.

What prespray foams enough to make it a part of the mixture?

jcdsog

i put i oz of defoamer in my rinse tank (whick treats 10 gallons). works pretty good when customer has all sorts of cleaning detergents in the carpet...cuz u never know.

steve r

i apply about one to two ounces occasional in the hose end nearest the wand.the foam will plug the hose before it reaches the waste tank.

it all depends on how much im prespraying and like others said whats already in the carpet.resolves a bitch when they use the whole bottle on one spot.

had one job my extension cord blew apart because the foam plugged up the hose.i was at the other end of the building and didnt hear my machine struggling.i also popped a 20 amp breaker at the same time, which i very rarely do.

I have used several different citrus solvent additives which I add to my prespray. I have used prochem citrus pro and interlink's brand as well. None of these compare to a product called Conquest by Aero Manufacturing. I usually add 2-4 ounces to my 5 quart container. The smell that this product produces is amazing. A nice citrus smell lingers long after extracting. If you add 6 ounces, you can really get a strong citrus smell.

This is the only product I have found that can be added to a prespray which acts as a defoamer. None of the other citrus products I have used knock down foam like Conquest will. When you mix up your prespray and shake the bottle to dissolve the powder or even on liquid presprays, there will be absolutely no foam in your bottle. This makes mixing chems so much easier. Never use this product in a sprayer that is not solvent resistant.

This product is excellent for breaking down grease and heavy soiling. I usually buy the gallon size for about 25 dollars. Remember that 2-4 ounces is all that is needed for a hydroforce sprayer. Do not apply this product directly to the carpet undilluted. I would use another product for spot removal. Only use this product in your sprayer.

http://www.abccompounding.com/Techsheet ... %20TDS.pdf

Make sure you are using conquest citrus solvent spot remover and degreaser because this company makes several different products that are similar but different. The one above is the one you want.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Daniel;

A true citrus solvent (d-Limonene) will not cause foaming in the prespray.

It will suppress the foam.

Some commercial products add surfactants to the d-Limonene to help emulsify the solvent.

That is what causes the additional foam.

Dynachem does not add surfactants to our Citrus-Solv product.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom