Death scene clean up question, Cu and anyone else doing them

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a death scene yesterday was different from the others that we have seen.

What was really different was after killing the occupant, the suspect set the place on fire to cover up the crime. It was very smoky, lots of soot and fire damage.

The soot hid most of the blood so it made it difficult to distinguish what was what even with intense lighting.

Our normal testing solution was not working well, I'm guessing because of the heat from the fire. Does the heat from the fire affect the blood to the point it is no longer a threat? Of course we still treat it as if it were, but I'm assuming it's not.

There were still contents, bedding and other items that were away from the heat that reacted normal, so that's why I'm questioning what affect the heat has on possible infectious fluids.

Anyone have any experience with heat, soot and blood?

leesenter

Re: Death scene clean up question, Cu and anyone else doing

Vacuum with a HEPA Vac and then use peroxide as an indicator

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Lee the peroxide was not working on any blood exposed to the heat and soot. So does the heat or the soot or the combination change the blood composition so that the peroxide has no affect on it?

Areas that were protected from the heat and soot the peroxide bubbled as it should but not on anything exposed. :?:

C

cucu

thats a boiling question, the soot will form a layer over the bood making the peroxide ineffactive on showing blood , in areas the heat will help cultures in the blood grow ,and some others where the heat was intense it would kill them off

you would be best washing the floor , to remove the soot and blood then going back over it with your peroxide to ck again and dont forget your black light that would be a good start

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Thanks CU, this was a tough one the weapon used spread it all throughout the room. The fire was set in the same room the attack happened in so it was extremely soot covered.

We removed the obvious and cleaned everything that even looked like blood, but were taken aback that our normal procedures for locating were not working.

It just made us work a little harder trying to ensure we covered all bases.

Bob we have a few photos, but out of courtesy to the family I won't post them. The case is on going and I've been careful not to give any details that the general public doesn't already know. Plus this is just one that is a little disturbing.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Bob we have a few photos, but out of courtesy to the family I won't post them
OHH JHC...i was jus kidding...i get my gore at Rotten.com!

harryhides

Name
Tony

CCINW is putting on a cleaning college including this subject on Oct 16th.
It is being taught by a 20 yr veteran.
Come on up and learn how to use Dye Sticks while you're at it.
Heck, you could even meet the great Oz and learn how to actually clean rugs.

http://www.ccinw.org/cleaningcollege-pathogen-2010.pdf

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte

Shoot... I'd trade ya for the one we just finished (just the master-bedroom where the deceased expired.We removed a quarter ton of debri just to remove the actual affected carpet/pad the another 1 & 3/4 tons more to complete the bedroom.She was a hoarder to the ninth degree.

John Watson

My friend from Canadia beat me to it, The blood borne pathagen class is one that those attemp to do these types of clean up need, Even if you just do Drs and dentists offices you should as employers have this need to know about the records your supposed to keep for your employee's if by chance they ever get sick and say that guy that died had that and I must have caught it from him while cleaning it up.. . Yessss it happens,

Plus Tooneys class is a great draw by its own self, I plan to be there to heckle my funny speaking friend and see some others..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom