Decorative Carpet Dying

O

omor

Hey I have a customor whod like me to actually dye the middle of her living room in the pattern of a favorate indian rug...i know...i have the dye ready. how do i start?

ACD

I've thought about it using a stencil but there would be bleed and so on. Definitely not starting the process in a customers living room!!!! Get an old practice scrap carpet and practice to see what happens.

Aaron

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
I think you should start by telling us a little about yourself and your business, got the feeling you have a great story with that you've been in the industry for 50 years.

O

omor

i have a family-owned buisness out of tafuna as. i am 50...made a misteak...10 years running my buisness. about the carpet, i think a stencil would work. the carpet is teal, red, and black. its a pretty shaggy carpet and i am a little worried about bleeding also. ive never done it...anybody done a multi-colured design in carpet before?

G

With 3 different color carpet and a seam iron.Ya you could stencil it probably,but you might want to use your best Nintendo tool.

O

omor

[attachment=0:gkev9ehb]india-tea-carpet.jpg[/attachment:gkev9ehb]

this is what ill be attempting tomorrow. it should take a couple of hours...im thinking of making one big stencil out of posterboards taped together. has anyone done that before...ideas?

O

omor

[attachment=0:2cykqmaa]carpetdying04.02.JPG[/attachment:2cykqmaa]

this is what i got so far...i changed it a bit so i could use a ruler. its definitly going to take longer than a couple of hours....i totally misquoted this at $150....whatever.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Looks interesting. How are you setting the dyes so they won't come out in the first carpet clean?

$150... paid to learn... I love it and that's how I often look at it sometimes.

John

O

omor

i was told to spray a nice thick layer of hairspray over the dye after i have finished. its supposed the 'seal' it in. i might use scotchgard though.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
april 1st (fools day )is 3 weeks away - you should have it finished by then and if you round up some ants / beetles it will give it a more authenic look when you put the hairspray on.

Terry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom