Degree in Chemistry

extreme steam

Name
Pete@TCC
Hey everyone, I was wanting to get some opinions on how much of a marketing weapon a degree in chemistry is? I will graduate in about 12 months, I hae been in carpet cleaning for ten years also.

I would imagin that it would attract customers but how much? Are there many carpet cleaners with degrees in chemistry? I am also half way through a microbiology degree which i will complete the following year.

Thanks for any knowledge/opinions on the matter

Name
Lee Stockwell
My degree was electrical, but I took several chemistry classes. Great for a carpet cleaner, and in your case would be better for a chemical supplier.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Anything that helps build the confidence your customers have in you is a good thing.

Rick

S

sam miller

I think knowledge of products helps you being able to explain things better! The problem is'nt your lack of knowledge its the consumer perception. Any consumer who's worried about the stuff you use has an idea about what you should use.
I had one lady call me "do use PROCYON my kid is allergic to everything." I explained I had a a Hypo Alergenic product I was using from Chemspec and there was no fragrance's or anything that would cause a reaction. She said It had to be Procyon or nothing!

So I went online and saw the price I said I'll buy it but most people dont ask for this stuff so I would have to charge her more the the advertised price to compensate for my purchase. at the time 5 rooms for a hundred bucks anything more than that was too much! I guess if I had a chemistry degree I could brake down the components in the product ones salt and ones percarbonate something like that!

Good luck on your degree education is important its awesome that you can go back and do that!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Why waste the TimE....?

Just do what SHAWN...does... :idea: :p :p :mrgreen:

You can be AnYonE you Want to be on this BOARD>... :roll:

"It alway's....AmAzIZZZes...me how many of you GUYS have been in the BIZ...for 20 years.."

It MUST to have been ToUgH ...JuggliNg "kindergarden & running a Cleaning BIz"... :shock:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I dunno. I have been trying to teach the cleaners here to say "cleaning AGENTS" and not even say the word chemical. It might scare people that you had to get a chemistry degree to figure out how to clean their carpets.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've a Marine Biology degree, I find the microbiology classes help. AS for Chemistry, I've not needed anything past what I learned in highschool.
Helps to understand it myself, and sometimes to explain it to clients, but I'm finding the simpler the answer the better. Most clients have less chemistry knowledge and though they might ask whats in my cleaning solutions they really aren't looking for a "chemistry" answer.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
.. I have a degree in Physics with a minor in mathmatics, and only about 6 courses shy of a chemistry degree.. (alot of chemistry required for physics.)

I find the customer is more impressed when instead of using extensive nomenclature to describe the chemical reactions, you can break it down to a level they understand and actuelly learn something. But.. most of the customers find out about my degrees in casual conversation with my father or my Uncle and I'm usually ambushed by their knowledge of my background.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Degrees are two edged sword. Sometimes they more fully qualify you to act in a certain capacity, sometimes they can over-qualify you.

I've experienced both with my degree.

In the eyes of your employer, he wants to see that you are competent for the role in which you will serve, without being a in a position to risk other interests such as reliability or cost, if over qualified.

Your customer may interpret your degree to be favorable to understanding unique problems, or on the other hand no help at all except to justify a more expensive service, than otherwise would be necessary. but if you are not the operator, but instead the supervisor or owner/supervisor than this negative is probably not perceived.

Let me give you an example. If say I was going to a small office tax preparation firm with a CPA doing the returns. My first impression is that something is amiss here. A CPA/MBA doing simple 1040A's is probably going to be expensive, or on the other hand I might think that this guy must have a serious deficiency if he's doing simple tax work with an MBA.

Now I've used CPA firms for tax prep of a Trust, but the CPA is head of the firm, whilst most of the people doing the work are not. This makes the service much more reasonable in price. Would it impress me that the firm only used CPA's in every capacity? Probably not, and it might make me even a bit nervous.

This is my two cents, while I still feel that most all the other responses have been valid too.
The bottom line is, that the perception of that degree will vary among your target audience. Some will be comforted, while it may cause others to question the situation.

-Shawn-

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Shawn Forsythe said:
Degrees are two edged sword. Sometimes they more fully qualify you act in a capacity, sometimes they can over-qualify you.

I've experienced both with my degree.

In the eyes of your employer, he wants to see that you are competent for the role in which you will serve, without being a in a position to risk other interests such as reliability or cost if over qualified.

Your customer may interpret your degree to be favorable to understanding unique problems, or on the other hand no help at all except to justify a more expensive service than otherwise would be necessary. but if you are not the operator, but instead the supervisor or owner/supervisor than this negative is probably not perceived.

Let me give you an example. If say I was going to a small office tax preparation firm with a CPA doing the returns. My first impression is that something is amiss here. A CPA/MBA doing simple 1040A's is probably going to be expensive, or on the other hand I might think that this guy must have a serious deficiency if he's doing simple tax work with an MBA.

Now I've used CPA firms for tax prep of a Trust, but the CPA is head of the firm, whilst most of the people doing the work are not. This makes the service much more reasonable in price. Would it impress me that the firm only used CPA's in every capacity? Probably not, and it might make me even a bit nervous.

This is my two cents, while I still feel that most all the other responses have been valid too.
The bottom line is, that the perception of that degree will vary among your target audience. Some will be comforted, while it may cause others to question the situation.

-Shawn-

Great post ..!!!

I was arguing with an Insurance adjuster Monday....!

All he wanted to do is talk about his FORMER job as a LitigAtOr...for a "Big Time"..
San Francisco law firm... :roll: " I finally..TOLD HIM...if he didn't get off "MY" job site
He was going to be telling stories about his FORMER JOB as a CLAIMS ADJUSTER.. :evil:

Ps..He was PISSED..because the Homeowner REFUSED to use his "PrEffEred PrOvIdER".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom