design the perfect Portable and John Laberbosa will build it

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Re: design the perfect Portable and John Laberbosa will buil

Mikey P said:
lets hear your ideas..

It is already built... :shock:

It is just a little on the HeaVy-SidE... !gotcha!

11361.jpg

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

There is nothing else an M-5 needs other than a fully adjustable 0-1200 PSI pump, and 75 pounds less to it.

.......Ten less amps would be nice too.....

Brett

The perfect porty is going to be different for everyone based on how many cords they want to run, how much weight they can handle and how far they want to run hose. Lets's say we leave electric heat out of the unit since most guy know its amp draw, weight, and heat inside the compartment cause problems. You could always make it an option. The main body when going upstairs should weigh no more than 55-60lbs. A modular removable 50 lb heavy duty pump with qds solves alot of the weight issues. A removable solution tank saves more. The solution tank, 14-16 gallons, should not be combined in the same mold as the rest of the unit. It doesn't have to be strong like the rest of the body and recovery tank. Recovery tank in back with handle, pump and solution tank in front stacked, but both removable. Probably around 65lbs can be taken off the front of the machine for stairs and loading. Room for 4 2 stages or 3 3 stages would probably be enough.Triple climbing wheels would be nice. Maybe a single foam filled wider wheel up front. Little casters suck. You can also make the recovery tank large, 14-16 gallons, but removable also with vac hose and quick release cuffs. You can also make smaller tanks available since they are removable. Mold the handle to a base unit only. If done right, you could take off the pump, solution tank and recovery tank in less than a minute. Make the openings of the solution and recovery large enough to put both you arms into and you can use them for hauling your supplies and getting to the filters and floats. Apo and AF can be separate units. I like the air hog dumping the water before it has to be sucked back to the main porty, saves your main motors from getting foam and water in them, and gives you better suction. If you bring all the solution hose and vac hose out from the base unit and up the sides into the tanks, you should have no fittings of any kind going through the bottom of the tanks. No water leaks on your motors or electrical if done right. Water tight gaskets on the base with one or two removable plastic lids that the tanks sit on assures this. Pump and regulator are in separate housing on top of the water tight lid. Switches can be molded into the base unit up high or down low for easy truck or van use as a base unit. I like see thru tanks and orange float ball when not using AF or APO. I'll never buy a 154lb M5. But I would buy a Modular one that is set up right.

Name
John LaBarbera

Brett said:
The perfect porty is going to be different for everyone based on how many cords they want to run, how much weight they can handle and how far they want to run hose. Lets's say we leave electric heat out of the unit since most guy know its amp draw, weight, and heat inside the compartment cause problems. You could always make it an option. The main body when going upstairs should weigh no more than 55-60lbs. A modular removable 50 lb heavy duty pump with qds solves alot of the weight issues. A removable solution tank saves more. The solution tank, 14-16 gallons, should not be combined in the same mold as the rest of the unit. It doesn't have to be strong like the rest of the body and recovery tank. Recovery tank in back with handle, pump and solution tank in front stacked, but both removable. Probably around 65lbs can be taken off the front of the machine for stairs and loading. Room for 4 2 stages or 3 3 stages would probably be enough.Triple climbing wheels would be nice. Maybe a single foam filled wider wheel up front. Little casters suck. You can also make the recovery tank large, 14-16 gallons, but removable also with vac hose and quick release cuffs. You can also make smaller tanks available since they are removable. Mold the handle to a base unit only. If done right, you could take off the pump, solution tank and recovery tank in less than a minute. Make the openings of the solution and recovery large enough to put both you arms into and you can use them for hauling your supplies and getting to the filters and floats. Apo and AF can be separate units. I like the air hog dumping the water before it has to be sucked back to the main porty, saves your main motors from getting foam and water in them, and gives you better suction. If you bring all the solution hose and vac hose out from the base unit and up the sides into the tanks, you should have no fittings of any kind going through the bottom of the tanks. No water leaks on your motors or electrical if done right. Water tight gaskets on the base with one or two removable plastic lids that the tanks sit on assures this. Pump and regulator are in separate housing on top of the water tight lid. Switches can be molded into the base unit up high or down low for easy truck or van use as a base unit. I like see thru tanks and orange float ball when not using AF or APO. I'll never buy a 154lb M5. But I would buy a Modular one that is set up right.

Thanks, Brett. A lot of good ideas. I read this last night and couldn't sleep.

G

George V

Ever heard of the CFX?

I hadn't until this week.

You can run a 360i from the pod all day without dumping or filling.

both.jpg

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners

A portable for what? Carpet, upholstery, hard surface?

For some reason no one seems to care about noise level. I haven't heard anything so insane since standing in front of a jet engine at full throttle. Don't think a vac motor can be quiet? Try an Alto/Wap shop vacuum. I'm in the process of converting one to use as the vacuum source on scratch built upholstery machine. So quiet I'll be able to run it in any hotel lobby or a senior living facility for upholstery cleaning.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

Good ideas here. Something quiet. I used a portable for eleven years, called a Vac11 that hooked to the customer's faucet and you pulled it like a drag tool. It was loud, as portables are, I would wear earplugs.

Something modular. It is not practical to lift and carry a 160 lb machine which is what a one piece unit needs to weigh with 2 or 3 3 stage vacs and a 500 psi pump and 15 gallon capacity weighs. The water tank and pumps need only to be where it's most convenient as you can pump water easily for hundreds of feet. The only part you want near you is the vacuum unit which can have either a built-in pumpout or a seperate filter with a pumpout.

The hot water at customer's houses is usually all you need for the rinse step; for wanding it was usually scalding hot 150 to 160 degrees.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

Actually it would look a lot like this:

both.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P

General pump, 4 HP two stage vacs, auto fill, auto dump and some other ideas that I don't want to share. 3 cords minimum, I realize - BUT IT WOULD KICK SERIOUS ASS, better than most everything on the market. Oh, and a 4000 watt in line heater too- no internal crap please.May as well shoot for 5 cords. !gotcha!

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin

I have been thinking of switching from my TM to a Rotovac CFX. I would set it up outside the front door and run up to 100ft of hose into the house.

Why I haven't:

I would have to use cold water unless I had a heater.

I use a Turbo tile cleaning tool which wouldn't work

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez

NobleCarpetCleaners said:
For some reason no one seems to care about noise level...
a senior living facility for upholstery cleaning.

I cleaned such a place once. Management told me not to worry about the noise at night; they (guest) take their hearing aides out at night.
Luis

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner

I can kick in a side idea.

I sold plumbing and heating wholesale for years before owning a franchise.

EEmax is a company (one of several) that make a point of use water heater. Depending on the overall volume or units per minute, some very small 115v units can heat instant scalding water. These units are smaller than an average shoe box.

Light, potent, and very cost minimal...again depending on the demand per minute.

Lefty724

Name
E

My perfect porty would be the Air Hog with a optional 0-500psi pump and still be able to run off the same cord?

Since getting my Air Hog, I have a ton of different configurations!!! It's actually pretty awesome!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville

For me, the ideal machine would be:

A compact upright, similar shape to the Masterblend TF3500.

The weight must be evenly distributed so as to make it easy to take up stairs, so not heavy over the front.

It would need to be continuous fill & empty to eliminate the bucket brigade.

A Air-hog could also be used in place of the waste pump, not only to save weight in the machine, but also electricity draw.
The Air-hog would also improve airflow, but it would be one more item to carry.

The beauty of the Air-hog is that it can be placed near any disposal point, not kept next to the machine.

Two x 2/3 stage vacs;
Plumbed for two inches from start to finish.

Variable 1200psi pump for those that do T & G

Large pump up tires, not those bendable ones like DriEaz use on their dehums;
These make it very easy on stairs and over sand, gravel, grass, etc;
Larger wheels at the front that have a brake on them.
Decent lifting handles to manouver the machine around & make loading unloading easier.

Solution & waste tanks should be at a MAXIMUM of 5 gallons each.

Being continuous fill & empty, why do you need such a waste of machinery.
This would also cut down on weight.

All controls/switches at the top front of the machine.

Get rid of those stupid screw on vacuum seal plates on top of the waste tank, and replace them with a quick/easy remove dome that the vac; hose pushes onto.
This is a simple perspex dome with a rubber grommet around the edge that sits in a recess on top of the waste tank.
When the vacs; are turned on, the dome is pulled tight onto the body of the machine, sealing the dome.

Solution outlet at the bottom, also an outlet to make emptying the solution tank easier when the job is finished.

Water fill quick release at the top/side of the machine that an ordinary solution hose would click onto.

Electric leads:NONE, instead have two caravan type male plug outlets that you can simply plug your extension leads into. These also lock down so the plugs don't fall out.
If one lead stuffs up, it's easy to replace. Just pick the length lead you need for the job.

Have the machine hinged so that work on the motors, etc; can be carried out whilst the machine is standing upright.
Even a hinged plate at the rear of the machine that drops down to service the running gear would be an advantage.

We will all have ideas of what would suit us best, two years down the track, we will probably have added another service and want another toy. shiteatinggrin !gotcha!

Ooroo,

:roll:

Name
John LaBarbera

Shorty Down Under said:
For me, the ideal machine would be:

The weight must be evenly distributed so as to make it easy to take up stairs, so not heavy over the front.

A Air-hog could also be used in place of the waste pump, not only to save weight in the machine, but also electricity draw.

The beauty of the Air-hog is that it can be placed near any disposal point, not kept next to the machine.

Two x 2/3 stage vacs;

Decent lifting handles to manouver the machine around & make loading unloading easier.

Get rid of those stupid screw on vacuum seal plates on top of the waste tank, and replace them with a quick/easy remove dome that the vac; hose pushes onto.
This is a simple perspex dome with a rubber grommet around the edge that sits in a recess on top of the waste tank.
When the vacs; are turned on, the dome is pulled tight onto the body of the machine, sealing the dome.

Solution outlet at the bottom, also an outlet to make emptying the solution tank easier when the job is finished.

Water fill quick release at the top/side of the machine that an ordinary solution hose would click onto.

Electric leads:NONE, instead have two caravan type male plug outlets that you can simply plug your extension leads into. These also lock down so the plugs don't fall out.
If one lead stuffs up, it's easy to replace. Just pick the length lead you need for the job.

Have the machine hinged so that work on the motors, etc; can be carried out whilst the machine is standing upright.
Even a hinged plate at the rear of the machine that drops down to service the running gear would be an advantage.

We will all have ideas of what would suit us best, two years down the track, we will probably have added another service and want another toy. shiteatinggrin !gotcha!

Ooroo,

Hi Shorty,

great comments, thanks. And thanks to all of you on Mikey's Board that offer you constructive and creative comments. You'll see some of these ideas coming down the pike from Mytee as we are able to incorporate them into our products. There's one we are working on that we call the "Willy", short for the Wildebeest.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs

Shorty said "Larger wheels at the front that have a brake on them." That a great idea. I remember my porty days. I had to chase it down the parking lot more than once.

Name
Nate W.

John LaBarbera said:
[quote="Shorty Down Under":798kdfkl]For me, the ideal machine would be:

Two x 2/3 stage vacs;

Ooroo,

Hi Shorty,

great comments, thanks. And thanks to all of you on Mikey's Board that offer you constructive and creative comments. You'll see some of these ideas coming down the pike from Mytee as we are able to incorporate them into our products. There's one we are working on that we call the "Willy", short for the Wildebeest.[/quote:798kdfkl]

So it's safe to call it "Suckin Willy"? :lol:

green gurl

They have these robotic "wheel chairs" that can clime stairs on their own... google it. Add that technology to the porty and you will rock!!! Dragging those darn things up and down stairs it a pain in my butt and my arms!!!

Vinnie

RIP
Name
Vincent Annunziato

That guy Ken Harris says he will have the perfect porty at the next convention. Says it will make all other portys obsoliet.

Mikey P

Administrator

were you always such a moron Vinnie or are you just letting it out now?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland

How about this baby from the past?

http://www.northlandakitas.com/delta/rochester.htm

I think it was about 175 pounds. I used to go up and down stairs with it by rocking it back on large wheels. It had a heater, but the suction was great due to the positive displacement vac blower. I packed the hosed into the round waste tank. I think about 10-12 gallon for waste and fresh water tanks. VERY LOUD! Sounded powerful though.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

I want to leave my portable in the van and have it come when I whistle for it.

Coming to think of it. It should also clean on its own like the Rumba.

And in the spirit of this board I am naming it RoboSuck :p

Come here boy!

Willy P

Name
Willy P

[/quote]

Hi Shorty,

great comments, thanks. And thanks to all of you on Mikey's Board that offer you constructive and creative comments. You'll see some of these ideas coming down the pike from Mytee as we are able to incorporate them into our products. There's one we are working on that we call the "Willy", short for the Wildebeest.[/quote]

shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville

Vinnie said:
That guy Ken Harris says he will have the perfect porty at the next convention. Says it will make all other portys obsoliet.

Please fill out your profile so I know who I'm going to abuse. blowme

Ooroo,

somewhat amus

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom