Dewalt Fire!!! Must Read!!!!

RUGMAN1969

Hello Friends: Very seldom do I ever post. I usually just sit back and learn from all the great post's here but felt the need to let this be heard.
Tonight while working out in the back yard my 11 year old comes out said (dad the power went off in my room) So I go check out the situation and couldn’t find anything wrong. Went to basement to reset breaker and it tripped/wouldn’t reset so now I figure there’s a problem. As I headed to the garage I see a glow coming from inside (Holy crap fire on the workbench!!! Anyways fire's out minimal smoke/fire damage. A Dewalt Cordless Drill that was charging in the case on the workbench caused the fire.
Further investigation has revealed all kinds of interesting articles on this very subject and in fact We have the very same drill listed here
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01057.html
I lost count how many times we left this thing plugged in overnight at that.
BE Safe and Happy Cleaning.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
"A Dewalt Cordless Drill that was charging in the case on the workbench caused the fire".
That doesn't sound like the safest way to charge the battery.

Kelly

the down side to stuff thats supposed to be automatic is....when it gets a mind of its own...... and starts thinking for itself you either die or theres a fire...... and then you could die ...in the fire... and if you dont die....you still have to clean up the mess the fire and chemical you put it out with makes .....then of course you just simply get old.... and then you still die....of course.

Jayson

I'll say this.....We are currently on a fire job and DEWALT sent out their "guys" to check it out. Not sure If they determined that to be the cause but that is what the rumor around the mill has it.

1tigers

All garages should have a gfci type receptacle circuit and bedroom receptacles should not be on the same circuit with your garage.

Scott

1tigers said:
All garages should have a gfci type receptacle circuit and bedroom receptacles should not be on the same circuit with your garage.

Agreed and mine does, but what difference does it make if the battery catches fire? The GFCI will shut off, sure, but it won't extinguish the flame.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom