Did I get enough generator?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Hey you electrical engineers:

Ordered a 3500/4000 watt 25- 30 amp breaker genset today. Maybe shoulda done the math first, but this is the way I usually operate. ( Hey, I know it's perfect for a camper.)

Want to encap some locations with no electricity. Will it drive my 3/4 hp Brute? Don't want bigger (heavier, louder, more fuel consumption) than I need.

I can trade a little cc to a friend for a used 6500/7500, but that thing weighs a ton.

Much obliged.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Did you tell them what you are running? I don't know much about gen sets but one of the guys here blew up a TV while tail gating because it didn't have an inverter.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
heres my BRAND NEW 6000/7500 surge.......the first day i bought it i had cords all over the house...f**k that.....so i punched out a breaker spot in my 200 amp panel and slapped a 40 amp breaker in...ran the cord down the wall a bit and out.......i can lite up every bulb in my house...PLUS A/C and fridge.....total cost....about $700...now i'll never be outta touch wit you good folks again.......
IMAG0296.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
heres my BRAND NEW 6000/7500 surge.......the first day i bought it i had cords all over the house...f**k that.....so i punched out a breaker spot in my 200 amp panel and slapped a 40 amp breaker in...ran the cord down the wall a bit and out.......i can lite up every bulb in my house...PLUS A/C and fridge.....total cost....about $700...now i'll never be outta touch wit you good folks again.......
IMAG0296.jpg
Cool, Bob. Power outages are very rare here and I want something more portable.

Ron K

IMAG0296.jpg
I was told you need a dedicated box for that.?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Johnny;

4KW is barely enough to start your 3/4 HP Brute.

You may have to start it well-lubricated with foam.

Larry

P.S.Bob- What keeps both the main breaker and your 40 amp breaker from being on at the same time ?
View attachment 2437

His fingers. :icon_razz:

He is feeding the genset into the panel backwards, and will hopefully shut the main panel breaker OFF when doing so in case the grid power comes back on with the genset running.

Definitely not code.

Reactions: glenboy

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
His fingers. :icon_razz:

He is feeding the genset into the panel backwards, and will hopefully shut the main panel breaker OFF when doing so in case the grid power comes back on with the genset running.

Definitely not code.
cuz i used the breaker panel in my shop to back feed the house.....and i have industrial colored tape covering the breaker in the shop
so some dumbass won't throw it...and YES i gotta throw off the main in the house...FIRST!

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
...and i have industrial colored tape covering the breaker in the shop so some dumbass won't throw it...

Although some may consider mere tape as being dumbass proof, being that your life, home and family may be negatively impacted by the actions of said dumbass, I would choose another means of safeguarding the breaker box.

If your not going to do it right, at least put a padlock on the damn thing.

They're called dumbasses for a reason.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Although some may consider mere tape as being dumbass proof, being that your life, home and family may be negatively impacted by the actions of said dumbass, I would choose another means of safeguarding the breaker box.

If your not going to do it right, at least put a padlock on the damn thing.

They're called dumbasses for a reason.
padlock????? damn good idea Goomer..thanks..
but i hope i don lose the key........to use my air compressor to power the air cut off wheel..to cut the lock off..lol

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
A simple inexpensive transfer switch would solve all possible dumbass caused problems with a bit of peace of mind to go with it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
another thing.....i have a two hunnert amp panel in the basement
as well as the two hunnert panel i installed in the shop.......
niether one have any means of securing the doors shut...:evil:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom