difficult spotting question for tomorrows job

JoeClean

new customer called on referral from my best Realty so I got to at least try.

Beach condo summer rental on 10th floor.

Their friends stayed there last week and kids got green stains from "fun dip" candy on wool wall to wall bedroom carpet
and on sisal area rug in LR.
Not all over but bad enough that they called.

If you had to try what would you use?

Thanks

Joe
Abbey Clean Care

Name
George Valliant
Personally, I'd hit it with some Judson O2 for starters.

Test a spot or two. Break out the upholstery tool and demo a few spots for them.

JoeClean

Thanks, thats what I was thinking with the stain magic for wool.
I like the try it at home first idea too.

What about the sisal rug?
I told them I don't usually mess with them.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Start by asking your customer their opinion of the current value of the sisal and make sure that they understand that they are requesting a "restoration" job ie NOT a" maintenance" or "cleaning" job. In other words, you'll be attempting to restore this piece but no promises or guarantees as it is already damaged.

Since this is likely a sugar based stain, you'll need to use an acid spotter.
If the green dye does not simply flush out then by all means use Stain magic for wool.

With the Sisal, see how much will come off with just a clean dry cotton cloth.
Whatever remains even if it rinses out will likely leave the sisal looking a shade or two different just from using any water based product so pre-warn your custy.
Do a small test to see how much shade change will result from using water as you may have to wet out the entire sisal carpet to keep it from looking spotty.
If you decide to proceed, then do a test by dipping a Q-Tip in your spotter and then squeez of any excess liquid to minimize any color change of the sisal.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ya thats a pretty good response Harry, I was thinking the same thing!

Seriously though does Sisal curl when wet on the edges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Reactions: FredC

harryhides

Name
Tony
Ya thats a pretty good response Harry, I was thinking the same thing!

Seriously though does Sisal curl when wet on the edges?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sam, the answer is yes, no and maybe - every Sisal is different - different construction, different raw materials and of course different amounts of "wet".
Your best bet is to always assume the worst.

I spent my working life in this business and although we can and do learn from the research done by our suppliers when it comes to what product or process is best in any given situation.
Problem is that they can never be entirely "neutral".
One of the potential uses of building that the IICRC has purchased in Vegas is a testing facility and a researcher who could work to provide answers to these kinds of questions.
I do not know when or if this will ever happen but as some of our older colleagues here will recall, ASCR ( now RIA ) used to have such a service for their members.

Mikey P

Administrator
Listen to Tony.

He knows his stuff when it comes to exotic floor fashions.

I hear the new IICRC Vegas penthouse floor is covered in woven snow leopard intestine.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
To add to Tony's advise.
If the sisal is brownish color, some time you can hide the dye loss by simply using tea. Not exactly traditional I admit. In a sense you'd be spot dying it and need to know how, and how to avoid rings (feathering) but done correctly it can blend it in.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Where I'm at it gets hot in the summer 100 plus olefin rugs curl and throwing them in the driveway on a hot day can relax them and flatten them out. I know having a plant and drying racks with weights would help too but we don't all have that luxury.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Good comments on process from Tony. I agree with Larry that a reducer is likely to perform better than an oxidizer. There is Red Relief for Wool for the CTI fans or you can dilute RedZONE Ready with an equal amount of distilled water and get to a safe for wool level.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
I would highly doubt using an oxidizer such as stain magic will have any effect on the green stains, in fact you could potentially bleach out the spot especially on the sisal....even though it's 'wool safe'. Your best bet it to try what Scott and others have said, a reducing agent. We use CTI products so I'd recommend Red Relief for Wool and a steaming device, such as a Wagner portable steamer to activate the red relief. Start by applying with an eye dropper and work from there. Good luck, dye stains aren't an easy feat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom