Direct Drives

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Lots of guys ask about them, lots of guys use them...

Some guys are mechanical and can wrench.

Others use the dealership.

One thing you never hear is.....

Most dealerships don't want to work on your van with after market parts....

These vans are already tight spaces.

Learning to remove the dogs house to get service or to service is huge. Creating space will get a dealership more likely to help you.

Remove the passenger seat watch a how to remove dog house video.

Most place will work on it like that.

Some small shops might do it for you.

I had no idea what I was in for with my pro1200 se.

But I know a few things leave the hood up when operating period.

Butlers have better engine compartment airlfow you can leave the hood down.

The truck I have several code problems.

The dealership eventually fixed it bad fuse box and computer.

Lastly if you ever get PO442 code most new van if you take the gas cap off.

They'll tell you gas cap off or tighten gas cap.

Don't replace your gas cap.

It's probably something else.

Mechanics love replacing gas caps.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Lots of guys ask about them, lots of guys use them...

Some guys are mechanical and can wrench.

Others use the dealership.

One thing you never hear is.....

Most dealerships don't want to work on your van with after market parts....

These vans are already tight spaces.

Learning to remove the dogs house to get service or to service is huge. Creating space will get a dealership more likely to help you.

Remove the passenger seat watch a how to remove dog house video.

Most place will work on it like that.

Some small shops might do it for you.

I had no idea what I was in for with my pro1200 se.

But I know a few things leave the hood up when operating period.

Butlers have better engine compartment airlfow you can leave the hood down.

The truck I have several code problems.

The dealership eventually fixed it bad fuse box and computer.

Lastly if you ever get PO442 code most new van if you take the gas cap off.

They'll tell you gas cap off or tighten gas cap.

Don't replace your gas cap.

It's probably something else.

Mechanics love replacing gas caps.
Zero problems with my CDS or Cleanco.

Reactions: FB7777

hogjowl

Idiot™
The only problems I’ve had with my Cleanco’s have been Chevy problems. The units are strong. The only argument I’d have in favor of not buying another MIGHT be because of the Chevy vans. However, the Chevy vans have been no more trouble than the Briggs and Koehler engines were on my slide ins.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The only problems I’ve had with my Cleanco’s have been Chevy problems. The units are strong. The only argument I’d have in favor of not buying another MIGHT be because of the Chevy vans. However, the Chevy vans have been no more trouble than the Briggs and Koehler engines were on my slide ins.
Does tcs service the Chevy too?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The one thing I would like to see is clutch drive placement I believe the butler based on the drive draft sit lower in the engine compartment then say the sapphire.

PXL_20220418_183214693.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'll worry about what's real. Everyone is claiming they will "electrify" their fleet by 2035, but only a few niche auto builders are saying they'll sell only electrics.

When most everyone is driving electrics, the economy vehicles of the next era will be powered by clean, cheap gasoline. Or natural gas, melting tundra methane or clock springs.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
@Cleanworks how many hours a year do you put on a unit.

I was 900 on both units a year.

It's way down now.

I switch back and forth probably 750 between the 2 of them combined now.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
@Cleanworks take a picture of your clutch drive location.

Is it on the same spot????

Or a little lower?

When I drove with out the doghouse I couldn't feel any airflow on the driver side of the engine.

And great airflow on the passenger side.

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I love my direct drives... I run 2 CDS vans and a butler very hard. These vans are helping me a lot with the flex fuel right now I save over 50$ every fill up. They preform great! I do think if you are a company that cleans a lot of commercial a big boy unit is a must also right now I have an 870ss but not sure how dependable it will be.

my only direct drive tips is run the best oil you can in the van and change often. If really busy and cant down the van pay for a Valvoline drive through oil change instead of running past the recommended oil change. keep the vans running strong and you will be good.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I grew up a direct drive guy, but I never really got them longevity that some claim, since 2008 I've had 2 cds units, a white magic pro1200, and 2 Sapphire pro 1200s. None of the machines had major issues (although the SS had a lot of minor ones and more than the others), but God damn if there wasn't always SOMETHING wrong with the vans (all Chevys). Meticulous oil changes with synthetic oil. My 3 Apex 570s I bought in late 2019-early 2020 have a combined 5000 almost completely trouble free hours, and the transits are great too. Just love em

F

FB7777

I grew up a direct drive guy, but I never really got them longevity that some claim, since 2008 I've had 2 cds units, a white magic pro1200, and 2 Sapphire pro 1200s. None of the machines had major issues (although the SS had a lot of minor ones and more than the others), but God damn if there wasn't always SOMETHING wrong with the vans (all Chevys). Meticulous oil changes with synthetic oil. My 3 Apex 570s I bought in late 2019-early 2020 have a combined 5000 almost completely trouble free hours, and the transits are great too. Just love em
Basically the reason I have only bought brand new Butler systems 4 times now

it’s been smooth sailing for at least the first 3 years 50k miles and 1600 hours approx per unit

the next 3 years are hit or miss with rare unexpected downtimes

after 6 years 100K miles and over 3000 hours is where it gets tricky and the van is relegated to part time and backup

Reactions: SamIam

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I have just done my first round of repairs on my older cds 140k miles 4500 hrs not even a check engine light but then all of a sudden my catalytic converters and a few other repairs its back running strong. My butler only has 30k miles and 2k hours and the new cds has about 1k hours with 20k miles.

a note the chevy platform seems to be easy to work on any mechanic can figure it out and parts are plentiful

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Had 2 jobs in Chico and 1 job in Redding yesterday. Because I had to drive out to Chico I used my Lima Bean Special because I can carry water and it get better gas millage than my Promaster. I am constantly impressed with the section and heat from my old CDS. Who knew!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Had 2 jobs in Chico and 1 job in Redding yesterday. Because I had to drive out to Chico I used my Lima Bean Special because I can carry water and it get better gas millage than my Promaster. I am constantly impressed with the section and heat from my old CDS. Who knew!
Little bit of maintenance and careful use and they last forever it seems. Makes it hard to go back to a slide in.

Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom