Dirty sock smell in CGD????? Help needed....

Name
Nate W.
I have a school that has a dirty sock smell in 1 room. The carpet is 3 years old low looped with attached cushion. LEE Carpets is the Manufacture and it has a antimicrobial treatment applied from the factory. The janitorial company cleaned it once with extraction method, then the smell came about. Then they did dry cleaning process after that about twice a year since new. There is no air movement in the room. No cross breeze or air exchange happening, only a window mounted a/c unit. No moisture reading coming through the floor with meter used. When you smell the carpet, it smells like a dirty sock. I don't think the carpet got dry in a timely manner per the smell arising.

We HWE it, flushed the crap out of it. Then sprayed Steri-fab to disinfect it got it dry quick with 2 air paths. Next day same smell. Applied Steri-fab a total of 3 times (I know an overkill) but smell still remained. It's slightly better after we cleaned it, but not up to passing grade. Anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what's causing the problem and had any success removing dirty sock smell? The manufacture says a Quat can't be used on the carpet as it will interfere with the antimicrobial in it.

What says you???????? And please don't say gas can and matches or rip it out. The goal is trying to salvage the carpet, it's basically still new and doesn't look like sh!t. A upper class private school. Maybe Ozone? Sorry I don't have a Odorox machine. I know Ozone is topical surface, but I don't think it would hurt to try.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Hey Nate,

Do you know what kind of cushion is attached ? I wonder if it could have gotten too wet and is deteriorating ?

Name
Nate W.
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Hey Nate,

Do you know what kind of cushion is attached ? I wonder if it could have gotten too wet and is deteriorating ?

Not sure... No place to really pull it up and check... I'll see if my pops can reference the specs.

They have another room that's smells musty/moldy. That's a whole different story. There drainage is poor and heavy rains make it into the class room by the door. For some strange reason, they pulled back CGD to dry the carpet..... Weird I know...

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Nate The Great said:
The manufacture says a Quat can't be used on the carpet as it will interfere with the antimicrobial in it.
Before they rip it out, apply a quat such as Quatalot or Chemeister Sunshine deodorant. That will eliminate the problem.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
maybe ..just maybe...it's coming from the window A/C??
Larry hit on what I was thinking also. Are you sure it's the carpet?

Have you got down on the floor and smelled the carpet?

Anyone you know have a thermal camera, just in case there is moisture intrusion that's no visible?

Name
Nate W.
meAt said:

anyone look in it??

..L.T.A.

It's a new unit they bought less then a year ago. Said it was cleaned every month or two. I didn't check it myself. No signs of leaks around the unit.

Doc Holliday said:
Larry hit on what I was thinking also. Are you sure it's the carpet?

Have you got down on the floor and smelled the carpet?

Anyone you know have a thermal camera, just in case there is moisture intrusion that's no visible?

Yes, I'm sure it's the carpet. Bent down and smelled it in different places, it definitely has the dirty sock smell. As big as my nose, I'm the go-to person for pet urine and other odors to sniff out.... I swear I'm part beagle... :lol:

I can ask around to see if anyone has a thermal camera i could use.

Art Kelley said:
[quote="Nate The Great":3g1lertx] The manufacture says a Quat can't be used on the carpet as it will interfere with the antimicrobial in it.
Before they rip it out, apply a quat such as Quatalot or Chemeister Sunshine deodorant. That will eliminate the problem.[/quote:3g1lertx]

That's what I was thinking too. It wouldn't hurt to try as a last resort before pulling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom