Discolored 1 year old tufted rug

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
My customer has a 1 year old tufted rug that gradually discolored. Never cleaned but we protected some furniture over it last year when the rug was new. Both pictures are the same area of the rug, I outlined the discoloration on the first picture to make it easier to see where it is at. The arrow in the second picture is for reference.
I think the problem is when different skeins of fiber were changed over from the tufting gun, some of the yarn was defective and discolored. But I don't know how tufting guns follow the patterns and if it's possible to leave this discolored pattern.

If was the protection I don't think it would follow the pattern exactly the way it does.

100_3464%20-%20Copy.jpg

100_3464%20-%20Copy.jpg

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
To me it looks to be caused from the latex in the rug. More often latex causes issues more than wool from different dye lots, but its possible.

If the rug was never wet we can rule out any kind of yellowing from improper drying (water damage, in home cleaning, etc). Was your protectant solvent based or water based?

If it was wet then this is probably all it is. You could attempt spotting with some diluted acetic acid to help remove some of the yellowing.

Lastly, if you didn't cause this then I would tell them their best bet is to go back on whomever sold them the rug. Let it be the manufacturer's problem.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Is it always on that wood floor? Ws the wood floor waxed? Feet marks around the sofa?

Ron K

Wood Floor looks a little weird. What does the floor look like underneath? Same pattern? If not I would not mess with it at all. Ask the client to contact the Seller then proceed as they reccomend.

Reactions: Papa John

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We used a Solvent based protection Ultimate Protector form Master Blend, we have used for many years and have never had any problems. Pad under the rug on a wood floor. I test cleaned and applied citric acid, acetic acid, tried solvent cleaning nothing is changing the appearance.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
nothing wrong with pad or wood floor underneath. Scrim on back of rug doesn't have any signs of discoloration either.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
My customer has a 1 year old tufted rug that gradually discolored. Never cleaned but we protected some furniture over it last year when the rug was new. Both pictures are the same area of the rug, I outlined the discoloration on the first picture to make it easier to see where it is at. The arrow in the second picture is for reference.
I think the problem is when different skeins of fiber were changed over from the tufting gun, some of the yarn was defective and discolored. But I don't know how tufting guns follow the patterns and if it's possible to leave this discolored pattern.

If was the protection I don't think it would follow the pattern exactly the way it does.

View attachment 13230

View attachment 13231
Some of your following pictures show variance in color beyond what you outlined from left to right at the top. If you would outline all that is dull, including the bottom half, and then imagine where the furniture is, the walk pattern and air flow, that might help tell the story.

If there a wood burner in that room?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I agree with Ron. The wood floors do look weird by the edge of the carpet. Since the underside is ok maybe the problem is coming from above? Is the a Humidifier in the room where vapor or water droplets could be landing on the rug causing it to brown out?

Or does the rug contain some sort of Rayon and the custy performed some spot cleaning?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
It's fading or shifting of color from a different dye lot and or the color looks the same in the photo of the relief color (minor color)so the rug might have been like that new and the color touched up with ink or unstable dye that is not holding.

You can recolor this in the photo it looks grey so a light blue you could send it to one of the "color my carpet" guys. Problem is many of these guys want $$$$$ for a $ rug to do the work.

Last edited:
Reactions: T Monahan

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Rug Summit 10 will have a presentation by Chris Howell, and he will discuss this aspect of colorizing a rug. Various demos will be provided then too.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Unless the customer is living on their subfloor, my guess is the floor in the picture is at Chet's shop

Could be wool from different dye lots. More likely if the face fiber is wool.

To me it looks to be caused from the latex in the rug. More often latex causes issues more than wool from different dye lots, but its possible.
Could be. Particularly if the rug has a low nap like this one appears to have. Much more likely if the face fiber is cotton or rayon. Anti-yellowing treatments won't help, you'll need to use a solvent that will remove the adhesive.

This type of discoloration is also seen in the months and years following an application of silicone protectants that advertise UV protection. That component will yellow over time.

Name
Nate W.
57167340.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I used to work for a company that used a silicone product called "Wiz" It didn't sell very well as customers didn't want us to "wiz" on their carpets. Ironically, it would yellow with age on light colored carpets and fabrics.

Reactions: Mikey P

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Thanks everyone,
The picture is on our wood floor at our shop. And I do Know Paul V. So I will give him a call.

The discoloration doesn't follow furniture, traffic pattern light fading or anything normally explained. I would say that it was from the protection but it starts and stops almost exclusively where the pattern changes.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I sent Paul V high res pictures, he's confident that it is dye lot issue. Everywhere the yarns were changed they were form a different dye lot and each faded at different levels. A good picture to keep and use when dealing with cheap indian tufted rugs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom