disposal of waste water

N

NJ104

I called the local authorities about where I could dump (legally) my waste water I figured that dumping it in the toilet was fine until someone told me that it is fine unless I was cleaning a greasy restaurant aka (chinese take out) then it would not be such a good idea. I run my business out of NJ and trying to find out where or who could take the waste water was an adventure- I called my local city they referred me to someone in the township who referred me to a eviroment agency which wonder why I called them then they sent me to another township which referred me to another township then I called the state capital offices and yet no one their knew where I had to go so if anyone of you who lives or works out of NJ that knows where I can dump my waste water outside of the toilet please let me know. Because if you know NJ you know no one in the gov has a clue except accepting their pay check at the end of the week lol

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Juan,

Did any of those who you called say you could not dump on the ground at a cleaning site, as long as it did not run into the street or parking lot?

If no, I would say you can probably dump in the grass or landscaping, but don't quote me on that. ...lol

Since our cleaning chems are basically phosphate chemistry, and that is an ingredient in fertilizer, you will not kill anyones' grass or flowers.

Bob Savage said:
Juan,

Did any of those who you called say you could not dump on the ground at a cleaning site, as long as it did not run into the street or parking lot?

If no, I would say you can probably dump in the grass or landscaping, but don't quote me on that. ...lol

Since our cleaning chems are basically phosphate chemistry, and that is an ingredient in fertilizer, you will not kill anyones' grass or flowers.

No but heavy grease load will for sure.

N

NJ104

Bob Savage said:
Juan,

I wouldn't do that it doesn't look very professional and I rather not even if it was o.k. to.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Try to get out of the habit of saying "dump my waste water" instead you might want to get into the habit of saying "emptying dirty water"

Just sayin

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Ask your local gas station (if it has a bay car wash) if their drains are into the sewer. If so, ask for permission to dump there. Tell them you'll continue to use their station for fuel, and dump a few bucks in quarters to rinse out the bay when you're done.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Juan said:
I wouldn't do that it doesn't look very professional and I rather not even if it was o.k. to.
We run a 5/8" garden hose to the lawn (which is allowed in our area). It's part of our setup.

You would have to look real close to even see it discharging.

How would that be unprofessional? Our systems catch all of the debris and lint in filters.

Danielc said:
No but heavy grease load will for sure.
In 29 years of carpet cleaning, I have not had any issues with a grease load discharge, as any grease removed while cleaning is diluted and dissolved in the cleaning process.

Do you have problems with too much grease when you are cleaning?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Every area will have different restrictions on dumping wasted water. (even if it is safe)

You have to do what is legal in your town.

The preferred way here is for the water to go to a waste treatment facility.(Some dump at car washes with permission.)

I have a pipe attached to my sewer clean-out that runs up to my driveway. I just hook up and dump the tank daily while filling. Drop in some chlorine tablets and I'm ready to go for the next day.

IMHO: I think dumping at the cleaning site (Even if legal) looks very unprofessional to neighbors, people just driving past and the clients.

Anyway not a option here in the winter.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
JB BOOKS said:
[Anyway not a option here in the winter.

/quote]

why not?

I'm not going to dump skanky water on a yard that has 2-4 feet of snow already that will become a frozen mess for 2 months. Um.............. bad 3 month reminder/skank.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Dave Yoakum said:
IMHO: I think dumping at the cleaning site (Even if legal) looks very unprofessional to neighbors, people just driving past and the clients.
Dave, you would be hard pressed to see the APO discharging from a garden hose laying on the ground, even if you were standing in the driveway. It is not a 2" dump valve wide open. It is subtle, and no more than dirty water coming out. You would not see it if you were driving by, or see it from a neighbor's window, etc. In the winter, you drop it into the snow, and see nothing from the top of the snow. If there is a light snow, you still don't see anything other than the snow melted!

To me, what would be unprofessional is running an APO hose inside the residential cleaning site, and discharging dirty water into their house drain, commode, sink, etc.

An APO will give you better production, allow for a smaller waste tank in your vehicle, less weight, less wear and tear, etc., but an APO is obviously not for everyone.

Every area will have different restrictions on dumping wasted water. (even if it is safe)
You have to do what is legal in your town.
Absolutely.

The preferred way here is for the water to go to a waste treatment facility.(Some dump at car washes with permission.)
If you are out cleaning for the day, how would you have time to run to a dump facility, especially if you fill your waste tank in the middle of a cleaning job? On a busy day, you would spend as much time driving to a dump site as you would driving to and from a cleaning job. There goes your production time.

I have a pipe attached to my sewer clean-out that runs up to my driveway. I just hook up and dump the tank daily while filling. Drop in some chlorine tablets and I'm ready to go for the next day.
How large is your waste tank? Can you do 4-6 cleaning jobs a day, and still not fill your waste tank, return to your shop, and dump your waste tank the next day while filling your fresh tank to start another cleaning day?

What am I missing here?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have a 165 Gal stainless waste tank.

Works for me just to dump at home through the sever clean-out or occasionally at a car wash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom