Do you actually clean carpets? Or just manage the business?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
As a business owner............ Do you actually clean carpet?

Whens the last time you cleaned some carpet?

What do you actually do?

Me? I havn't cleaned carpet in months.... I am a good trainer and telling and showing people what to do though! I have probably cleaned a total of 20 residential homes myself in my career.. and many apartments... I just find that I am better answering the phones and managing the business..

I do go and help at all commercial cleanings, restaurants.. You name it. I also do alot of janitorial cleaning each night on my own..

If the phone rings at midnight from an apartment complex. I will go and do the water extractions because I am awake anyways.

So I do alot of apartment cleaning (maid service) I actually do with one female helper in the winter sometimes by myself..

I cant be tied down to a carpet cleaning van, in front of customers answering the phone..

Is this wrong?

BTW I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day or more

Name
I'm Rick James
Re: Do you actually clean carpets? Or just manage the busine

joeynbgky said:
As a business owner............ Do you actually clean carpet?

Whens the last time you cleaned some carpet?

What do you actually do?

Me? I havn't cleaned carpet in months.... I am a good trainer and telling and showing people what to do though! I have probably cleaned a total of 20 residential homes myself in my career.. and many apartments... I just find that I am better answering the phones and managing the business..

I do go and help at all commercial cleanings, restaurants.. You name it. I also do alot of janitorial cleaning each night on my own..

If the phone rings at midnight from an apartment complex. I will go and do the water extractions because I am awake anyways.

So I do alot of apartment cleaning (maid service) I actually do with one female helper in the winter sometimes by myself..

I cant be tied down to a carpet cleaning van, in front of customers answering the phone..

Is this wrong?

Do what makes you and those around you happy...it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

Mike called me the otherday and said answer your damn phone. I said dude I do 3 jobs a day. The wand slinging is easier than the business running

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen

joeynbgky said:
Is this wrong?

Yeah, don't let anyone determine your definition of "success" for you.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Not slinging a wand and loving apartment cleaning are totally personal decisions. That being said, most people would consider 80 plus hours a week over a long period "wrong". BTW, how does your wife feel about these killer hours? (I fell into the "live to work" trap too and suffered greatly because of it.)

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

I am curious what you guys do too?

Wife? I say dont get married or have kids till your 40!! Work has always been my passion and life..

It is alot harder to deal with customers on the phone and run the business than slinging a wand...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

I replaced cleaning carpets with posting on this board.
It's more satisfying.

Still working the payment arrangements with Miklosh.

Maybe by the post eh?

No............
Bryan the Robster will get all the money.

I dreamed about hitting the 380 million dollar jack pot.

I asked myself would I clean another carpet.

I would keep my truck mount and do my own personal carpets.

Then again I could fly Ron Werner out, have him vacuum for a week, and clean every little speck out once per month.

So I guess I will always clean in one way or another.

steve r

i do everything. it sucks sometimes but i like it.

i hate the office work the most, the book keeping stuff. i dont mind answering the phone and talking to customers but there have been times i should have waited until i cooled down from bigger jobs to return calls. its a work in progress.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care

joeynbgky said:

Wife? I say dont get married or have kids till your 40!! Work has always been my passion and life..

It is alot harder to deal with customers on the phone and run the business than slinging a wand...

keep trying to convince yourself of that Ivebeensold Dealing with custy's face-to-face takes more than over the phone. Cleaning carpets (the right way) is much harder work than answering the phone and being a paper-pusher (i've done both).

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

joeynbgky said:

I love my kids and family and love the 3 days a week i work, to make it through...some months are tougher then others....but i am not gone all the time...

with that said...i have made a choice to bust ass this year getting more work CLOSER to home.....like in the 5 mi radius...go and kick some commercial ass

or if i land this buffing acct then i will travel 75 miles 1 way for a job 1 day a week (it will be tied with 2 others in the trip to), and closer ones 2 other days a week...but it will be a good $$$$ per mth

steve r said:
i do everything. it sucks sometimes but i like it.

i hate the office work the most, the book keeping stuff. i dont mind answering the phone and talking to customers but there have been times i should have waited until i cooled down from bigger jobs to return calls. its a work in progress.

and DITTO

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Behind every great man is a greater woman.

The support system can really work...but finding the right person may be an issue.

Do what you feel is best...you will know it.

I go back and forth..I miss cleaning every now and then so I bought some inexpensive equipment to satisfy the need and to clean my own.

I wouldn't go back on a truck full time because it's a body killer...in more ways than one.

Surround yourself with people smarter than you and learn from them.

But don't learn too much because you need to be in the money making position...this is my opinion of course.

If you can push a wand AND have full control of your business while the smarties make it work...have at it.

Just don't kill yourself either way.

Name
Jesse

I'm alot like Joey, I pretty much "work" 12 everyday, occasionally longer. I only cleaned about 5 carpets last year.
The majority of my time is spent designing our future services, equipment, and hopefully soon other locations. The rest is training the guys, checking work, quoting jobs, and figuring out how to fix our equipment. My business partner answers the phones, does the marketing, and accounting.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

I am always in front of customers!! just not the carpet cleaning ones.. Office cleaning, janitorial, houe cleaning (maid service) ........ It is hard work to make employees and all customers happy.. I spend alot of time bitching at advertisers. cause im picky.. most charge me for add proofs now!! cause its nto uncommon for me to not approve untill the 10th one.. Our regular carpet cleaning customers, that schedule all the time!! I will show up with the tech and meet them and help vacuum at times then head out..

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville

royalkid said:
joeynbgky said:

keep trying to convince yourself of that Ivebeensold Dealing with custy's face-to-face takes more than over the phone. Cleaning carpets (the right way) is much harder work than answering the phone and being a paper-pusher (i've done both).

I do Both as well, and all I can say is that one of us is doing something wrong! Talking to People on the phone is a nice break from dealing with office stuff. the ins audits, compiling info for taxes, the scheduling employee’s, lining out which van and crew goes on which route, not to mention the inevitable problems that arise. Yeah riding around in a van cleaning for, and pleasing one customer at a time that's tough! I look forward to getting out of the office! shiteatinggrin

Tony

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy

I do everything since I'm restarting my business...doing the work, dealing with customers, answering the phone, paperwork, dealing with idiot advertisers blowing up my phone, etc. My now ex wife handled the phone calls before and I have to say the phone calls are the part I hate the most, esprecially when I'm working. I love going out doing the work and dealing with the custys, there's a lotta interesting people out there, so I'm never bored.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom