Do you believe in peanut butter?

Mikey P

Administrator
no?

me too, gives me zits.

what about Scotchgard or Teflon for carpeting?

Are you a true believer?
So true that every time you clean your own home it get's applied?

Would you sell it to your pickiest of customers who you know is going to test how it works the second you leave their house?
Would you apply it on your mother in law's carpet?

Can you sell it without a doubt in your mind about it's performance?

What sort of long term testing have you performed or do you just take the industry's word on it that it works and sell sell sell?

The Twins sure believe.. check out this strategy to help your chimps upsell more..
When I was a commissioned tech I would use that trick with great success...

Chris A

Name
Chris
I do think it helps, not to the level claimed by the manufacturers, and I offer it to everyone and use it in my own home on carpet/upholstery.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Why would anyone put peanut butter on any carpet, especially their M.I.L's ??

Crikey I got into strife for not buying me ex M.I.L. a birthday present, seeing as she still hadn't opened her previous one.

A plot in the local cemetery. :rockon:

:yoda:

PS::: We no longer get Scotchgard down under for applicators to apply. :icon_cry:

But I do use an alternative.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I do a lot of stain training with the techs - the sole purpose is to find situations where our processes fail and figure out how to overcome.

One of the controls is to take a single carpet sample: protect 1/3, leave 1/3, abuse 1/3 (high pH cleaning agent over-applied/scrubbed to simulate customer abuses). Then stain.

One consistent result no matter the variables are is that the pre-protected stained samples always come out in entirety post process, and do so with much less time and chemical.

We have had a few (nylon) samples we couldn't get to stain after protection, no matter what we did, including where we tried to create color loss with straight bleach. Just minor color migration.

Applied (properly) - I'm a believer.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
We really do love our green guard by triplex and trust and sell it regularly.

Works well and clients love it being a green certified product since it's being left on the carpeting or upholstery

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I believe it's:bullshit:- don't sell it, don't use and might consider putting on my MIL's carpet, right after her bacon fat and salt sandwiches.

Mike Draper

I dont use it, nor do I sell it to my custy's. I just don't believe in it. Yes, I did testing with 3 different brands over a 3 year period on two different types of nylon.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I like Teflon advanced. I used it on a house and the customers kid dropped a bottle of red wine. Steamed right out.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Applied (properly) - I'm a believer.

That's the key.

Soooo. What is the proper technique to apply properly?

Back in the day you could get "Scotchguard" certified. My Dad was and he always applied it one direction. Then at a 90 degree angle in the opposite direction, then groomed in.

I've always done the same, since that's how I learned, with good results.

How bout everyone else?

Jimbo

I have had Fantastic results with Teflon "MAXIM" by Interlink Bridgepoint!

Fantastic applying to the carpet ability to resist staining...NOT to my bottom line...

Example given ...Large vacation house at a ski area...800$ cleaning job...but with Maxim/Teflon Bumps it to 1200$...

so the carpet Does not Resoil...just like they say...

Then 6 years later they call for a reclean...$2,400 in 6 years...

Other projects clean every year for $800...so I have $2,400...compared to $4,800 for the Non- Teflon Jobs...

I'd rather clean every year...but the stuff works like crazy!

Mikey P

Administrator
Are you sure they didn't just keep the children out on the porch for those years?

Would make an interesting case study in a MTV party house sort of way..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Nah, I'm just honest with my custies, and don't need to make extra money knowing that it is garbage(I have plenty of work).. The only success stories are with Nylon, which isn't the protector it's that Nylon is just that bad ass! Not even sure that SFS would do me any good, if they tell me it works.. I just guess I'm different from all the other companies pushing this shit, might be why I'm doing well.. Knowing what I know, it would be like a used car salesman in my house trying to sell a product where I can't escape(very uncomfortable)..

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
That's the key.

Soooo. What is the proper technique to apply properly?

Back in the day you could get "Scotchguard" certified. My Dad was and he always applied it one direction. Then at a 90 degree angle in the opposite direction, then groomed in.

I've always done the same, since that's how I learned, with good results.

How bout everyone else?

IMO it's mostly coverage, (if a gal covers x amount of sq ft, getting it applied to that sq ft, no more, no less) than any other factor.

Mikey P

Administrator
Nah, I'm just honest with my custies, and don't need to make extra money knowing that it is garbage(I have plenty of work).. The only success stories are with Nylon, which isn't the protector it's that Nylon is just that bad ass! Not even sure that SFS would do me any good, if they tell me it works.. I just guess I'm different from all the other companies pushing this shit, might be why I'm doing well.. Knowing what I know, it would be like a used car salesman in my house trying to sell a product where I can't escape(very uncomfortable)..

I get your drift Keith.

Just how well are you doing?
Lone wolf doing how many jobs a year?

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
When I go to the car wash I purchase the package that includes teflon. I see the water bead up on my hood. My car still gets
dirty. I hope that it helps protect my car from the dirt, UV rays from the sun, and bird droppings.
It is not going to stop a rock shot up from the road or even help. Carpet protector is the same to me.
I would not purchase a carpet that did not have protector applied. This helps me in my sale also.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I get your drift Keith.

Just how well are you doing?
Lone wolf doing how many jobs a year?

I guess I'm really not doing REAL great(compared to some of you guys), but I am very comfortable. I bought my first house this year that has a detached garage with an office. My biggest problem is my pricing, I need to raise them next year.. I have 1 employee and two vans, we are at 508 job for this year so far so I would guess 800 for the year?

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom