DO you go GREEN?

Name
Andy McFadden
First 3 years of business I exclusively marketed to the green crowd, here's something's I've learned that maybe can help some one else.

Non toxic, hypoallergenic , safe, these work better then "green" If you label your self "green" all over your advertising , you will repel many cause they will think your not powerful enough to clean their filth.

In turn you will attract a certain small percent of the population the actively seek out the word "green". However most of these people are weird and tough to work for.

Mainly a bunch of hypochondriac's and OR hippies. Hippies have insane filth , but care about earth day. Only have their carpets cleaned when faced with eviction threats due to smell complaints from neighbor's.

Hypochondriac's, will want you to tell them everything that you "green" stuff is made of. Then they will start to complain of reactions to you "green" pre spray. (before you even pre spray), and it will be your fault.

If they so much as miss a good nights sleep with in 90 days after you cleaned they will call you and blame you for them having an allergic reaction.

If you want to suffer, then by all means "go green" .

This is just my experience, I know some guys that do well with "green" but they live in areas infested with tree huggers

Name
I'm Rick James
The name of my company is Go Green and I haven't had the issues that you have been talking about. I live by seattle and the vast majority of my customers are moms that don''t want harsh products being used.

Reactions: Steamin McFadden
Name
I'm Rick James
I belive you would do well in Seattle with green. However Seattle vs the east part of the state are two different worlds.

The west coast is where green is big, I agree once you cross those mountains its a whole different ball game for business..

Becker

Name
Becker
What is green?

Is a van getting 11-12 mpg and a machine burning 1.5 gals per hr green?

Is the cleaning green? How many gals per avg home of water are being used?

Green is the most over used and most misunderstood term in today's world.

Most using it simply as a marketing ploy.

Even the local airport shuttle service was advertising they are green, they drive extended one ton vans.
Now I have used the service, about 4 round trips.
One trip we dropped off 2 other riders, the other 3 times I was the solo rider.
Is that green? Is that greener than a traveler driving their own car that gets twice the MPGs?

Not at all attacking your companies marketing Brent.

Just feel the green term is more fluff!

Able 1

Name
Keith
You should be happy with the patchouli oil can you imagine how theses people really smell? Their nasty ass dread locks that haven't been washed in months!! That's green for ya..

I remember in high school this girl sitting next to me poked this kid(he was actually popular) with dread locks with a sharp pencil and he started swatting his head like he was getting bitten by some kind of bug.. I LMAO!

Becker

Name
Becker
You should be happy with the patchouli oil can you imagine how theses people really smell? Their nasty ass dread locks that haven't been washed in months!! That's green for ya..

I remember in high school this girl sitting next to me poked this kid(he was actually popular) with dread locks with a sharp pencil and he started swatting his head like he was getting bitten by some kind of bug.. I LMAO!

Are you thinking lice?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I wouldn't know what kind of bugs might be attracted.. I would not think lice they like clean heads.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
First 3 years of business I exclusively marketed to the green crowd, here's something's I've learned that maybe can help some one else.

Non toxic, hypoallergenic , safe, these work better then "green" If you label your self "green" all over your advertising , you will repel many cause they will think your not powerful enough to clean their filth.

In turn you will attract a certain small percent of the population the actively seek out the word "green". However most of these people are weird and tough to work for.

Mainly a bunch of hypochondriac's and OR hippies. Hippies have insane filth , but care about earth day. Only have their carpets cleaned when faced with eviction threats due to smell complaints from neighbor's.

Hypochondriac's, will want you to tell them everything that you "green" stuff is made of. Then they will start to complain of reactions to you "green" pre spray. (before you even pre spray), and it will be your fault.

If they so much as miss a good nights sleep with in 90 days after you cleaned they will call you and blame you for them having an allergic reaction.

If you want to suffer, then by all means "go green" .

This is just my experience, I know some guys that do well with "green" but they live in areas infested with tree huggers

Classic! This is why we market guaranteed clean and guaranteed safe. This way we still get all the clientele, but most anybody surely would not like to use toxic or harsh chemicals especially in their home

Able 1

Name
Keith
The green trend really never hit these parts, I get maybe 1 or 2 that ask for it a year.. The "green" movement is just stupid, I mean the biggest hack in the world won't leave a custy's carpet "dangerous".. What a joke!

Keep fighting green guys:
[video=youtube;BcERe5pd8yI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcERe5pd8yI[/video]

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
The customers that believe in the green clean fraud are hipster vegans that smoke cigarettes when no one is looking :)

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
We keep Green on the truck, yes.

We also keep an anti allergenic product on hand as well.

You must be able to quickly adapt, overcome and conquer whatever is thrown at you.

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We tell them we are "green conscious" if they ask, and then we will proceed to tell them how some green products are the same product in a recycled bottle with a bit more water added (just one example) and also try to find out if the have any chemical sensitive allergies THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR.

Always interesting to find out that they sense they have problems and a lot of times they have never been tested. Just guessing.

We had one 2 weeks ago we cleaned for with our regular formulas (because we had also cleaned the halls of the complex in the Fall) and she indicated she was not bothered by what we had cleaned with then.

We used the same formula in her place and now she is calling for us to also go and clean their cabin and old farmstead and a bunch of upholstery, and areas rugs.....

We spenT the time with her to listen to her concerns and educate her on a few things that all the green cleaners at the store (and other places) do with marketing, ect....

Obviously, she has a trust in us now and we will deliver a good service to make sure we continue to earn her trust that she has put in our hands.

This can be a great business when you can take the time to listen to your clients, educate them and gain their trust....did I mention she also got us 5 more family members homes for this upcoming Spring....and he daughter owns a retail store that sells flooring :) SCORE! :rockon:

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Rarely comes up in my area and I don't bring it up. And come to think of it when they do I find a certain level of oddity. I have thrown it right back their way by saying I go a step further and tell them all my cleaning materials are engineered safe for me, my customers and safe for California. I mention bio-degradable which is really the bottom line on everything we use and after all that I have never lost a job in over 10 years. You're matching wits in a way when you talk about this stuff. Perhaps its different in certain areas.

Wanna get passionate about something?, try boycotting natural gas from fracking.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Andy & Becker;

"Green" is an over-hyped marketing term, that has saturated the advertising universe.

Our definition of "non-toxic" is no hazardous ingredients per OSHA hazmat definitions.

Unfortunately, today's cleaning challenges require some stronger ingredients to do the job.

We like to use a minimum of those,

followed by a good flushing rinse to extract 80-90% of those ingredients.

Through rinsing is what the mills are recommending and what cleaners should be offering.

One knowledgeable board member I talked to,

is looking at rinse agents that lower the microbial levels in carpet.

Another healthy trend to market to your customers.

Larry

Reactions: Steamin McFadden

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The customers that believe in the green clean fraud are hipster vegans that smoke cigarettes when no one is looking :)

Is your post count high enough to say that, lol

cuz for some reason it made me think of Mikey : )

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
When the green clean stuff comes up I always remember a customer asking so many questions about my chemicals..."concerned about her little Johnny's allergies...will it cause Kawasaki disease?" On and on, then notice her smoking in the backyard while I was cleaning LOL

I don't post much on carpet stuff BTW

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I only buy chemicals from reputable companies. What carpet cleaning chemicals could I be using that are toxic and harmful that I may not know about? I do not dry solvent clean.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Does using Green Glides count ?

I ordered a couple more just incase : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I only buy chemicals from reputable companies. What carpet cleaning chemicals could I be using that are toxic and harmful that I may not know about? I do not dry solvent clean.

John;

Here is a CleanFax "Great Debate" on Green Cleaning that I presented about chemical risk compared to other risks we are exposed to everyday:

http://www.cleanfax.com/articles/the-great-debate-4

It has some info on both sides of the debate.

Larry

Reactions: Wing It

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom