Do you have any advice for my door hangers?

Rick4Life

First off, it was nice to put some faces to all of you at Mikey's Fest this weekend. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with all of you, but it was very informative for me to see all the classes since I am in the start-up phase of my business. I'm the dude who scored 99 points on the basketball game.

I am walking around my neighborhood passing out door hangers this week. I have searched all the threads on this topic that have been posted for the last three years, and didn't really get what I was wanting to know. I know many people have negative perspectives on this type of advertising, but I'm really just looking for stats on your response rates and advice for changes to the ad for better responses.

Below I have posted a copy of my door hanger. I passed out 200 today and was able to book one job. I will be passing out 300 tomorrow, targeting homes valued between $150k-300k. I was wondering from people who have done this previously how often do customers wait a few days before responding to this type of advertising? I have seen people post on here that they are receiving up to a 3% response rates. I was actually just expecting 1%, however I received a .5% today.

Thanks!

webadvertisementapril30.jpg

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Looks good. Thats how I started my business, passing out a box of ten thousand flyers in a week or two depending on how many cleaning jobs I also had to do. A LOT of walking. Did that for a few years in the 70's and 80's until referals and repeats took their place.
On the back I had a spotting chart. Had a lady call last year who still had my flier from 1982. LOL. She used the spotting chart many times over the years and needed a new one.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I'm definitely no guru but it looks pretty good to me. Like Art said I would utilize the back for something useful, it doesn't cost much more to print on both sides.

I have done the occasional door hanger or flyer, although the last time was about 18 months ago. The BEST I've ever done is 1% but the norm is more like .5% just like what you got. I think if you hit the same house multiple times over the course of a few months you response will likely get better but I've never done that. I generally just put them out when I get really slow and like clockwork after a day of walking them my phone starts ringing and I don't put any more out for a long period of time.

Thought that I'd add that for me and the way I sporadically put them out I found that plain black ink printed on colored card stock got the same response as fancy full color printed on actual door hangers but at about half the cost or less.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Instead of just leaving a door hanger try knocking and handing it to the homeowner. All you have to say is you just wanted to introduce yourself and hand them your flier. Your numbers will go up and you should be able to book a few jobs on the spot. I am assuming that you are not all tattooed up and smoking a cigarette.
:lol:

gene

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well shit college grad in marketing, it should hit gold shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

seriously though, looks good....hummmm i need something good...

Marc Imbesi

I've never done this type of marketing before, so I have no stats to share. I did plan on door hangers when I relocated 2400 miles away, but there was a no solicitation ordinance in town, just passed June 2010. I have become active in my community and Chamber of Commerce. We were able to repeal it in December 2010, with the understanding that we still discuss the pros and cons. Ive been to several meetings since and have met other businessmen and residents. The people, here, are worried about litter and crime from the door hangers. The businessmen are worried about the revenue they lost b/c of the ordinance.

Conclusion....as for business, they must work and work well b/c I saw some angry businessmen.

....as for residents...those who complained vowed never to use your services and bad mouth you every chance they get. I know the power of a referral and work hard to obtain them. Don't know if Id want to jeopardize that with a door hanger gone bad. My new preferred way to hit a community is with a postcard campaign and advertise in local HOA Newsletters.

Name
I'm Rick James
I agree with the above statement about new rules and regulation for door hangers. I decided not to go that direction anymore. To much walking anyways.

I am printing up 5000 gift cards and handing them out like candy. Heres the front. I originally was going with the "money" cards but Got Prints rejected it because it was to pixilated. Thank god for that.

GotPrintsMoneyBusinessCardFront3-2011.jpg

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
.5% is what flyers typically return.

They can be a lot of work for very litttle return. But, if you have the time it still beats sitting on your butt hoping for the phone to ring.

From looking at the flyer from a prospects perspective it is very laking in some very important things.

Remember these prospects don't know a damn thing about your company.

Price is not the main determining factor that will help you to get in the door.

YOU HAVE TO FIRST BUILD TRUST AND CREDIBITATY!!!

In order to do that it should have some or all of the following:

-Your picture.

-Client testimonials (and even their pictures)

-An outstanding guarantee.
Let them know if there are any concerns what so ever they can trust you to make it right.

-Number of years in business.

-Any certifications or special training.

The reason that referrals are golden is that they already trust your company.

Open the door with trust and credibilaty NOT price.

You'll end up with a better base of clients.

My 2cents-

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Rick,
The jury is out in my mind re: mass handing out on DH's. (I do know they work well with the old "Today Your Neighbor Cleaned Up" headline with the "five-around" technique.)

However, whichever way you go have the bottom two inches "perfed" to create a snap-off business card. Here are the details on how to do it:

http://sfs.jondon.com/5966/resources/qu ... oor-hanger

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS We had problems "motivating" our techs to put out door hangers until we made a horse race out of it:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6660/resources/qu ... or-hangers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom