Do you manage (run) your website?

Name
Evets
I would really like to be able to do changes for myself, but really don't care to learn another profession. I need to be able make lots of changes-fast, on an on going basis,and would prefer to be able to do it on my schedule. Everyday if necessary.

Do you manage your own web site?
How difficult is it?
I'm pretty good with the graphics and stuff,but don't have a clue how difficult it would be to transfer that to my web site.

Talk to me. I'm all ears...

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Do you have microsoft Frontpage?. It's usually bundled with office. If you do, save your page to your local hard drive, then open it in Frontpage and play around with it. Unfortunately some of these programs don't work the way we want them to so you have to look at the code. Eitherway there is a learning curve to every program so if you're not willing to spend the time you may just want to hire it out.

Why do you want to edit your page so much?.

Albert

Scott

I'm almost convinced that a Wordpress.org blog will be my next website. Al Paulson has one and it's a snap to update.

Scott

Name
Bruce
I can update my website anytime, getting ready to give it a new face lift.

Scott, I can't see your avatar anymore. Just a empty box in it's place.

HTML editor (to edit the website) and a FTP program (to upload the changes to the server) would be used to update your website. Some HTML editors have FTP capability built in.

I would NOT recommend Frontpage though. Frontpage generates dated code that is not acceptable or compliant with many browsers. Frontpage has also been discontuinued and will not be updated leaving users in the dust.

Most professional website designers use Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is a great tool, but its not a magic bullet either. There are things that Dreamweaver can not and probably will never be able to do. The tool does not create the product, it only assists in it.

Hand coding is best and Notepad (already on your computer) works great.

Scott

Bruce Humphrey said:
I can update my website anytime, getting ready to give it a new face lift.

Scott, I can't see your avatar anymore. Just a empty box in it's place.

Thanks, Bruce. I noticed that too. On occasion it shows up for awhile. Ever since my mail server had a DoS attack, things haven't been the same. I am still working with the server admin to square it away.

Scott

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I use Dreamweaver and find it great to use. Mark said it has it's short falls, and I have no reason to disbelieve, just that at my level of work, it does all I require.

Wasn't the easiest to learn, but I got there in the end.

Looking at designs for another website design at the moment and will probably build from scratch in code whereas last time I got a template and modified to what I wanted then built.

John

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I would NOT recommend Frontpage though

I thought I heard that somewhere. Didn't mean to mislead you Steve. I find Dreamweaver kind of cranky sometimes as well. My pages are aligned properly on my laptop but from another computer it displays a bit different. Looks unprofessional and needs to be fixed.

I agree that coding is best but you may be dealing with not just html. Javascript, flash, dhtml and others. That is for sure a learning curve left for pros.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom