Do you notice a difference in brands of gas?

Mikey P

Administrator
Could have been the weather or just a fluke but I swear that I had a big boost in oompf today when half way through a 225 mile ride I filled up with some Chevron gas. It was just 87 octane but I'll be damned if it didn't make the bike get up and go.

I cant recall if I ever bought Chevron since getting her 6000 miles ago.

Am I off my rocker?

R

R W

I didn't know mountain bikes used gas.....nothing around here like that.

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
I run with premium all the time with the TL but still have pinging at 5 to 7000 RPM's. I am thinking of octane boosters.

R

R W

My sons will ocationally sneak in a few gallons of race fuel into the Gennie tank. Man, does that thing want to fly!!!

The Preacher

i find the REAL mexicun food gives my gas a boost over those franchise places like Taco Bell!!!

PS the Burritos at a Chevron station does it too!!!

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
R W said:
I didn't know mountain bikes used gas.....nothing around here like that.
Actually he has a Schwinn single speed with a basket on the front. :shock:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
actually all the fuels from your area likely come from the same refinery, there may be an additive or 2 that some companies use but its marketing hype and does nothing. our refinery here produces all the fuel here and for parts of idaho on up to even south east washington, its all comin from the same place

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Additives are different and can make a difference in how clean your fuel system stays, but don't affect octane ratings. If you noticed the difference after a few miles, an additive may have removed something from an injector.

Octane is lost with age, and the octane rating on the pump is the minimum octane that can be sold from that pump. A nice fresh tank will add a couple of points, if you get to the station just late enough to let the sediment resettle in the station's tanks. Of course, if you filled at a station with a single hose, you could have a dose of the previous customer's premium.

danpauselius

Mike, are you sure your supposed to be using 87 octane in that bike? Most newer Japanese bikes run on premium.

Just a theory here but, sometimes gas stations run out of the 87 and replace it with higher grade fuels until their next delivery. You may have gotten a higher octane fuel and didn't know it.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
running premium is the biggest joke and rip off, the real truth is that most vehicles spark timing has not adjusted ie advanced to take advantage of the higher octane, unless your vehicles engine is pinging when running 87 you are flushing money by buying the expensive stuff.

John Buxton

I used to have a Ford work van that knocked like crazy on a certain brand of gas.

I really like Sonoco when I can find it.

Get an American bike you commie!

Hey...whats a ChemDry ad doin here????

RichardnTn

IN reality, lower octane is more volatile.... I get better performance with high octance Sunoco...Richard R

danpauselius

Richard, you are absolutely right about lower octane gasoline being more volatile. This is the reason that, under the right (or should I say wrong) circumstances, pre-ignition or detonation will occur. If the engine's compression ratio is too high, the heat caused by that compression will cause the fuel to ignite prior to the properly timed ignition spark.

However, high octane fuel is NOT good for engines designed to run on lower octane gasoline. The reason for this is that the air/fuel mixture is not properly pre-heated by the compression of the cylinder and therefore does not burn efficiently. This leaves carbon deposits on valves, pistons, etc.

The bottom line is this: If the manufacturer says to use a specific octane fuel in that engine ... use it. If/when the engine begins to ping, upgrade to a higher octane fuel. Understand, the likely reason it is now pinging is because of build up on the piston or the combustion chamber thus decreasing the volume of the combustion chamber and thereby raising the compression ratio. Other factors can include timing belts/chains, bad fuel, or an older vehicle that was meant to run on leaded gasoline.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
maybe you just finally managed to put them feet all the way on the pegs and they weren't dragging the asphalt slowing you down.................

TimP

When I was younger I drove piece of junk car and I could definitely tell the difference between gas. Chevron and Texaco gas would run better than any other gas I used. They both have additives that help clean stuff out and for some reason run better. Chevron does advertise that car manufacturers truck it in for epa testing because it runs better. It is considered a top tier gas. However where I live I buy exxon because they actually brought the price down in our area. I'll run some chevron from time to time but the owner is a greedy bastard. Although it is better gas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom