Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Do you offer color repair services? The major carpet manufacturers such as Mohawk, Shaw, Masland, etc. all have need of individuals who can perform color repair services such as correcting mismatched colors at the seams of new carpet installations. Did you know that the manufacturers often have to rip out vast expanses of brand new carpet because of dye lot disparities, causing mismatched color at the seams? Our company, Colorful Carpets, recently corrected a large seam match job in Washington, DC in a law firm where over 12,000 square feet of carpet had mismatched color at the seams. We charged $20,000.00 to correct the issues and completed the entire job in one 10-hour day. Our total material cost on the job was $28.00 So why would the manufacturers be willing to pay this much money for a day’s worth of work? Simple. Their alternative would have been the following:

• Pay someone to rip out all newly-installed carpet
  • Pay someone to scrape all of the glue off of the concrete floors. This alone would have taken over a week to complete
  • Pay to have all carpet that’s been removed hauled out, loaded in a truck, and taken to a landfill (where they have to pay to dispose of it). Also, bear in mind that the carpet is non-biodegradable, so it just “sits” in the landfill.
  • Run an entire new production of carpet and hope that they don’t have the exact same issue again with mismatched seams
  • Pay to transport newly-produced carpet to job site
  • Pay to have new carpet cut and installed (glue down)
  • Wait for client’s approval for new carpet appearance
  • Deal with unhappy dealers and end users for excessive time that was required to resolve the issue and complete the renovation.

As an alternative to all of this, the manufacturers can get the issue resolved in a timely manner at a fraction of the cost of having to rip out and replace all of the carpet.
Colorful Carpets teaches classes all over the country to individuals who wish to learn how to perform color repairs such as the ones mentioned above as well as the following:

• Bleach spot repair
  • Full room dyeing for completely changing colors
  • Sun fading repair
  • Complete color restorations
  • ColorClean process. Our proprietary ColorClean is a process that cleans and restores the color in one step. This is a service that we provide in the White House.
  • Persian Rug color restoration using a specialized airbrush setup that we designed for these intricate color restorations

Colorful Carpets recently released our very own color app called the ColorCue® This is one of the single BIGGEST technological developments to ever hit the carpet and rug dyeing industry!

The ColorCue® app will enable the user to accurately measure carpet color by simply taking a picture of the carpet with the color-damaged area. The app will then automatically calculate and display the carpet color and the colors that need to be added to any faded areas to bring them back to an exact color match.
In the event that the user is trying to determine if a color can be CHANGED to a different color, the app will indicate whether or not the desired color is possible to achieve. This will be helpful when determining if a customer can have their carpet or rug changed to a specific color.

You will be able to save each formula that you create and assign a name to it. For example, if you're in Mrs. Jones house, you can calculate all of the colors and save it as "Mrs. Jones". The app will automatically create a new folder in your photos app named "ColorCue®" where you can store all of your color repair work. You will also be able to email the ColorCue®information to others who can open it in the ColorCue® app and all of the technical data will be contained in the email. All saved photos and projects can be deleted as desired or emailed to your desktop computer to save space on your portable device.

The ColorCue® is ONLY be available to those who have taken our color training. It will NOT be made available to the general public.

Once you take our color training we have a support system that’s available 24/7, 365 days a year called “The Dye Lot”. The Dye Lot is a private Facebook page that’s only open to color repair professionals who have been trained in the art of color repair. It’s a place where you can ask questions, get advice, share photos, and interact with other color repair professionals. Currently we have 167 members in the group, most of whom are very active and happy to give advice, feedback, and just generally be helpful. So you will have an excellent ongoing source of support long after you’ve finished the training. Here’s the page:

Please visit our Facebook page for more information on the color trainings that we offer. We have thousands of photos and videos where you can see examples of the types of services that can be provided when you offer color repair for carpets and rugs.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have. You can respond to this message or contact me directly at: (240) 753-5395

We are including announcements (attached at the end of this message) of our upcoming trainings for 2016.

Wishing each of you a pleasant day

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Nate W.
Feathering/Blending isn't that hard to do on large installations... Yes, you can charge more for doing it, but at what cost does it become gouging the Manufacture/installation company?!? We correct our fair share of side match issues.... We use Ameri-color for dyes...

Unless you get good at using airbrushing for spot corrections, it takes too long for me personally to make it a profitable service.... My mom is still considered the best in the islands for spot-dyeing... She still loves her trusty eye-dropper.....:eekk:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Females are usually better at "seeing" what is missing in colours/colors, compared to mere males. :winky: :cry: :icon_rolleyes:

:yoda:

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Hell I'll probably make more money spraying dye then doing marble.
#moreshitidontneedtobuy, #anotheroneofthelatestgreatest
#illbebrokewheniretiremartyonrichardslaptop.

Notice I said laptop and not lap that would just be weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Hell I'll probably make more money spraying dye then doing marble.
#moreshitidontneedtobuy, #anotheroneofthelatestgreatest

#illbebrokewheniretiremartyonrichardslaptop.

Notice I said laptop and not lap that would just be wierd.

Having a bad time imagining $Marty doing a laptop dance with Richard. :eekk:

:yoda:

Reactions: SamIam

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I need to send Jr. to a dye class.

Marty, we highly recommend Chris' class. John attended this year and I have plans to go through it in 2017. It is pricy, but by far the most intensive class you will find out there. Chris is always available for technical help when we need it and is very responsive. There is a great FB page called The Dye Lot, that has all the graduates from his classes. People post there for technical help, sharing tips and successes. It's a great community. The color cue app is very helpful in providing formulas for the correct dyes so you aren't eyeing it up. We made the money back from the class on our first job.

Hope this helps....who knows which way it will sway you, coming from me!

Reactions: hogjowl and SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom