Do You Own a Job?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I have heard and read this statement several times over the years, even with this industries guru's, like it is a put down. Well for now I must admit that I only own a job, BUT I love this job That I own! It's like no other job that I have ever had! Matter of fact I think it might be the best darn job a guy could own!

Now I feel better, thanks.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
BLewis said:
Well for now I must admit that I only own a job, BUT I love this job That I own!
Billy,
There is NOTHING wrong in staying small and "owning" a great job IF you are:

a) Making "alternative arrangements" (Personal Investment Program, investing in real estate, a second career alternative, etc) for a comfortable retirement since normally a small owner-operated business won't sell for big bucks and no one should trust that Social Security will be there for us! Plus you should:

b) Have at least six months in liquid funds and good health/disability insurance in case you are hurt and can't work plus

c) Carry adequate life insurance to care for your family in the event of your "untimely death".

IF an owner-operator is doing all of the above AND having a great time while you are doing it then hold your head high and be very proud of what you have accomplished. I always say: "NEVER let anyone else determine YOUR definition of success."

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS There is much to be said for the relatively worry free life of a solo entrepreneur enjoying their life and their customers without the inevitable problems that employees bring. I threatened at least once a week to Sioux, "I'm firing 'em all and going back on the truck solo!" :)

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
BLewis said:
I have heard and read this statement several times over the years, even with this industries guru's, like it is a put down. Well for now I must admit that I only own a job, BUT I love this job That I own! It's like no other job that I have ever had! Matter of fact I think it might be the best darn job a guy could own!

Not sure what guru's you are talking about, but I have not ever heard anyone accused someone of that. Whether or not you own a job is a personal thing and I hear you don't really feel that way. Steve made some great points to consider.

Our company has been around now for over 72 years. The first few there was only our founder then slowly over the next 10 years or so as his kids got into their early and late teens they started helping out in his laboratory and then with customers. 72 years later we have about 110 employees in our cleaning business. My point is your business is young and it is okay wherever you are as long as you are happy with it. Anyone else's opinion is just that, an opinion. You have to decide what you want and at what pace you want to do it in.

Ken

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
For the record. I didn't mean my statement as a slam, I was just saying for the moment I am very happy to just own my job. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Bob Foster

My boss lets me take the day off once and a while and I get lots of bonuses. Some times he makes me work weekends and overtime but he pays well when I do.

He even got me a company vehicle and pays my cable and cell phone too.

Plus I get to drive the truck and be called a manager! :lol:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I only got C covered there Steve :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

but I am with Billy....and maybe they havent come right out and said it....but they most certainly imply it heavily...

Besides....last week My boss let me go to scout camp....worked a little last night (after replacing a fuel pump on the personal car :x :x :x :x :x :x ) and today i am going to an amusement park...

work wed, thur.....nothing yet for Fri....saturday, and then i am sure some next week....i hate being out more then a week, in case something happens..

which reminds me i need to email a few customers and figure out what days work better....have a few that are a few weeks out..but they are bigger jobs

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
floorguy said:
maybe they havent come right out and said it....but they most certainly imply it heavily...
Maybe "they" say it, Doug, but I don't and never have. I applaud (and sometimes envy) the sheer joy and personal freedom of an owner-operator working solo without the frustrations of employees.

BUT I do say be aware of the fragility of the human body along with "being in the wrong place at the wrong time". Plus it doesn't help our tendency to do STUPID things. For example ...

http://sfs.jondon.com/10245/blog/as-a-c ... n-in-place

Or maybe I am the only person to pull boneheaded stunts.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I guess I've had a good run. Last month was my first time ever as a hospital patient. Plus I've been a pretty dedicated carpenter/ cabinet maker/ metal worker for 40 years and I still have all my fingers!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Are you making money and putting it away?

You can become rich in a job but you can become wealthy owning a company.

As the terms are difined anyway.

I wonder if Joe Polish owns a company or a job? Can he sell his company/job to someone else?

Bob Foster

I'm doing my bookkeeper... some times she can get really bitchy too. Especially when I bring her paperwork.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with what Ken stated about your company being young. My father also went at least 10-years before he hired a full time employee.

Not only did he stumble into the carpet cleaning business by accident but the early growth in his company was due to demand and not planned growth through marketing. He was content as an owner operator, the demand for his services forced him into expansion.

I never asked him, but I think he would have been happy even if the company had stayed small. He loved the customer contact, something he always preached to us that we needed to stay involved in.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
BLewis said:

I hear what you are saying but think most just want you to make sure you are making some unearned income, on top of your labor for cleaning. Get paid for the work and money for setting the company up.

If you decide to be an owner operator, great! Just make sure you have profits to invest in other things, if not to grow the company. Of course they want you to grow the cleaning business, just like you want your customers to build bigger houses and bigger apartment buildings.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I was having a pity party because I had to cancel a weeks work as a result of my finger amputation, so I called a guy who has helped me on and off over the last 35 years to help me catch up and do all the cancelled jobs along with my normal work coming in (most of my customers won't have anyone else in their house). Anyway, he helped me for a few days and this Monday I go to his house and his mom (he's fifty, divorced, addicted to Vicodens, living with his mom) says he didn't come home last night. So I have been calling him trying to reach him because I have booked days for two guys working and no response. So now I have to do the work of two guys for another two weeks and the calls keep pounding in. But I love it. This is my job and no one else seems to be able to do it. We are Vikings doing this work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom