Do you take credit cards?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
if so,
Who do you use?
What are you charged?
How do you process?...out in field or in office?

Equipment is just do expensive for me. I have an old terminal that I use and it works fine. They tell me it will just stop working one day as they weed out all the terminals (so we have to buy new ones). F That!

I just signed up for propay(.com). My girlfriend uses it for her company.
I can call in a credit card or do it over the internet when I get back.
Only $60.00 a year plus charges per transactions..which they claim will not change like when I run my credit cards. (sometimes I get a 3.5% charge or more).
I got the smaller account because I don't like to do credit cards and keep it on the low end...because of charges.

I like the phone option.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Not too mention. I just got rid of all my land lines so the terminal will not work at my house anyway. Wireless baby.

maybe I will take the terminal with me and us the custy's phone line....is that Ghetto?

Greenie

Methinks you'll be fine with what you got.

I know one thing for sure....read your service contract.

There is a neat little clause that ALL service providers have, it says they have the right to HOLD your deposits for up to 270 days in the event you cancel or are canceled by them (most are 180 days).

Having had over $7500 held hostage at one time, I can assure you it's unpleasant while you argue with them to release your funds.
The absolute worst company I've ever had is IMS (better known as Quickbooks Merchant services division), they are straight crooks and use the full 270 days in their agreement, and they are the ONLY srvice you can use straight from Quickbooks software. :roll:

It's probably a case for racketeering but nobody said you had to buy their software....

Greenie

Weebco said:
I am using Quickbooks Merchant services , so far they are great!

I thought so too....until I tried to leave them.

Their rates and service aren't any better than anyone else.

Bob Foster

The discount I pay off the purchases run through V and MC plus the monthly fee the CC company charges me I figure is not worth it. I canceled my service a few months ago.

Name
I'm Rick James
Good post, I was gonna ask what the options there are. I prefer to call it in to someone and just have them wire it to my account, so I will check into the ProPay. Thanks Brian.

Does anyone else know of a company that I can call in, with no equipment.

:mrgreen:

Name
steve snail
No I do not take cards.

When sales people call me to set up the service I ask them how much they are going to pay me to send them customers (at 15-24%).

Name
I'm Rick James
Steve how much money do you think you are losing by not taking CC?? You do know people buy more if they can use credit...

CC and debt are the American way.

MikeD00019

wireless terminals are professional....customers don't like it when you write down there card info. then drive off to input it else where. plus a wireless confirms the credit and prints a receipt.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
With propay,
You just write the last 4 digits, security code and address for the card..like anyone else over the phone.
You don't keep any record of there card..unless you want to.
60 bucks a years is the only fee except for the per charge fee.
It's 3.5% and of course they charge you for charge backs and all that.
There is no credit check for the smallest option which you probably won't find to many companies doing that.

The charge gets put into an account (which they give you a debit card) and then you can transfer it to your checking account.
If my girlfriend hadn't been using it for years I would think twice about it....kinda low end really.
But I am cutting down overhead everywhere if possible.

Name
steve snail

Some care to live that way, not me or the overwhelming vast majority of folks I service. Call me crazy, but I have always thought if someone didn't have the funds for their cleaning, maybe they need to rethink their lifestyle. I just don't care to be part of the problem.

Name
I'm Rick James
Steve in Omaha said:

Some care to live that way, not me or the overwhelming vast majority of folks I service. Call me crazy, but I have always thought if someone didn't have the funds for their cleaning, maybe they need to rethink their lifestyle. I just don't care to be part of the problem.

Interesting stance regarding CC Steve. But you do know your in business to make money right. I have cleaned for tons of people who like using their CC, some do it to help build their credit, to get the rewards and sure there are a few that use it and can't afford it. Don't let the one that can't afford it ruin the whole CC experience for you.

So from a business point of view it might be worth it taking CC knowing people do want to use them in a positve way. You should try something like Brian was talking about and see if it boost sales and then let us know if it worked out for you and your clients, or not.

:mrgreen:

Name
I'm Rick James
Steve my business is to new to answer that question. But I think I may try what Brian was talking about or something similar.

Name
I'm Rick James
Brian Robison said:
With propay,
You just write the last 4 digits, security code and address for the card..like anyone else over the phone.
You don't keep any record of there card..unless you want to.
60 bucks a years is the only fee except for the per charge fee.
It's 3.5% and of course they charge you for charge backs and all that.
There is no credit check for the smallest option which you probably won't find to many companies doing that.

The charge gets put into an account (which they give you a debit card) and then you can transfer it to your checking account.
If my girlfriend hadn't been using it for years I would think twice about it....kinda low end really.
But I am cutting down overhead everywhere if possible.

So Brian is that 3.5% for visa, mc, amex and discover?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you get a $200.00 job..they take $7.00.

Other companies take more..even though $7.00 is too much for the service.

If us CCers would do the same kind of industry pricing EI: Every one charge a higher price. We could be running the world as well.

Name
steve snail
Dude,

My days of taking checks are numbered. The check writing process is very old school. The labor cost of handling checks from start to finish must give the banks heartburn! And boy you better believe I do get the fuzzy eye every once and awhile because a customer has to write out a check and won't get their "miles". Just think check writing keeps ya just a bit more connected to the customer than a click. Might continue to accept checks even when they become more expensive than cc 's, just for the connect.

Just wait for the day where the clients cc bill points them to CorporAte Carpet carE for service at say a..... nice discount.

What me worry?

Bob Foster

Custys that want air miles is the main reason people would use them IMO. Since I stopped taking them suddenly they can find their checkbooks that they mysteriously lost when they knew that I took CCs.

Name
steve snail
Hey Ron,

Absolutely none taken. You and Mikey are in the Stratosphere and I'm out here in flyover. Don't deal with near the numbers you big dogs do.

Life is good

Mike Draper

$15.00 per month and 2.25%. I usually run around $1500.00 a month in CC transactions. I prefer checks though.

I do accept credit cards. Haven't processed one for about a year. I do almost all commercial work. I bill them, or they write a check. If you do residential its a must in my book to accept cc, how else can you upsell. I pay 10 dollars a month, 3.25%, call it in on 800 number, sage solutions,800 487-5577,no equipment to buy. This is through my bank. Ron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom