Does Brister own any guns?

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Here's the story:

After reading this post on the ICS forum

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A CARPET & TILE CLEANER HONOR THE PHONE ESTIMATE?? (LAS VEGAS)
Date: 2009-07-27, 5:15PM PDT
Reply to: serv-qtvpj-1292380325@craigslist.org

Has anyone ever had a carpet & tile cleaning company honor the price they quoted over the phone?

Probably not. The reason why is, the guy answering the phone quotes a low price- usually $45.00 for 5 rooms or something like that to book the job.

What he doesn't tell you is that's his fee for scheduling a sub contractor to goto your house. The sub contractor doesn't get paid unless he up sells the job which is known as his commission- or "Hard Sell" which in turn ruins your day and makes you feel taken.

Now lets assume for fun that you reluctantly agree to pay extra money based on the notion that something is not normal in your house. He pushes the ticket price up to $75.00.

That is $30.00 commission to the guy that comes and provides the service. Do you think he is going to do a good job? Of course not. The only thing he says that would be true is the carpets will dry in one hour or less, because he barely cleaned it while flying through your house and out the door.

For this reason I never use a sub contractor- I only use owner operators. Ask to see their Business license, insurance certificate, honesty bond or janitorial service bond before you let them in your home.

I just had a young guy come and clean my daughter's home, which was a foreclosure. He was referred by a friend who used him to clean 3 rental properties and he is hard to please so I thought I should try him out. He quoted me $75.00 over the phone.

I already had two cleaning companies come out for estimates and they refused to do the job for less than $275.00-$325.00 so I was sure he would change the price after seeing the filth, gum, grease and stains.

He was on time, in uniform, polite, and had an ID badge with his picture on it- that is how I remember his name. He began immediately and after cleaning for 30 minutes I felt bad for him as the sweat pored over his face and glasses. He cleaned for a little over two hours like he was possessed with each spot- going over and over until they were gone. I kid you not, the carpet looked like new- I thought I would have to replace the first floor, that's how bad it was.

He put up his hoses and began to write the invoice, I hesitantly asked him "how much?" he replied "we agreed on $75.00 over the phone" I asked if there was any additional charges? he replied "for what? You called me because the carpet was dirty- if it was clean you wouldn't need me." I couldn't believe it. I work as a real estate agent and for the first time in a long time a vendor actually had common sense and used it. He later told me that his company estimates jobs based on time and materials, not the condition of the carpet- some jobs take longer than others but in the end it all works out.

Just wanted to post this for other CL readers to let you know that there are still a few good guys out there.

Sara Bruce
Reality Executives.

[/color]

I made this reply:

Now this Realtor believes that carpet cleaning is cheap.

Ignorance is bliss and even though he's a good guy he's an ignorant moron that needs to find another line of work. Take his expenses out of the money he earned and he'd be better off working for McDonalds. He may even get health ins.

Someone needs to find this guy and get him to a marketing class with Doug Heiferman or a SFS class.

Then this morning when I get into the office I have this email waiting for me.

Subject: What a pompous ass you've become

“…ignorant moron that needs to find another line of work.”

What right do you have to call anybody that much less on a public bbs and much less somebody you don’t even know.

You remind me of John Olson.

Go f*** yourself Micah. *edited for content*

Joe Bristor

Guess that makes me part of an elite club now. :D

Mikey P

Administrator
Micha,

You do understand that many cleaners and suppliers are perfectly content living in their vans, right?

Seeing how you're a Interlinker I would forward that love letter to the Hanks.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I attacked a fellow wander and needed to be dealt with....I guess

Sticking up for the little guy being downtrodden by a "pompous ass"

hogjowl

Idiot™
From my past (way past) conversations with Joe, I remember him starting almost every conversation telling me how he has spent this much time, and that much time, "helping cleaners" that day. He said it so often that it didn't take me long to realize that this dude really thinks (or wants us to think) that he is doing good things for cleaners. He probably really does see it to be a good old boy (the $75 cleaner) being dissed by a "pompous ass". In his eyes he is right.

The fact that nobody on God's green earth can make a living at $37.50 an hour (unless they are living in their van) makes no difference to Joe.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
If he's debt free and lives out of his van (down by the river) and has no overhead, then maybe.

Even in Prattesville, there is overhead, stoopie.

There's gasoline, repairs, parts, supplies and depreciation of his equipment, not to mention food and drink and clothing.

Mike Draper

Wow, I feel bad for that poor sucker. Generally I've found that some other cleaners don't believe in themselves and that's why they charge less per hour than it cost them to run a business. We have some hacks like that around here. They charge .9 cents a foot for steam cleaning.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
They charge .9 cents a foot for steam cleaning.

maybe they're able to consistently clean at 1000-1500sf pr hour and have a willing pool of prospects.
$90 pr hour gross isn't near our target goal, but I can turn a small profit at that

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

Generally a business doesn't put itself up for sale or go looking for an investor because they are pulling huge profits. They were up for sale for a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom