Does my wand have chlamydia?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I have a greenhorn that I got several years ago.

Problem 1 - It seems to be streaking.

Problem 2 - when I release the trigger the thing still drips for several seconds before it stops.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Sounds like it's time to replace the jets and checkvalves, you may need to rebuild the valve or just get a new one too.

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Replace or check that the ball and spring are functioning correctly @ the Westpak check valves, make sure your jets are spraying full force, ( touch the spray to make sure they are all equal in force, adjust the spray pattern so the carpet and glide are being hit 50/50 and wash your hands after visiting the restroom

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have a greenhorn that I got several years ago.

Problem 1 - It seems to be streaking.

Problem 2 - when I release the trigger the thing still drips for several seconds before it stops.

prob1...jets too close, too high PSI for wand manifold design , worn jets.
any one or all of the above up to and including it's really not that great of a wand and only achieved such status due to a "supposed" gUroo that turned it into a "board de jour" favorite

prob2.
valve needs rebuilt , check valves in jet body (or extenders) failed ..they won't last long anyway.
The next thing is "heat expansion" phenomenon with high heat TMs.
What happens is somewhere around 220+, (even if the valve and check valves are good) super hot solution in the plumbing from valve to jets is still heat expanding...that causes the drips/streams .
The larger the manifold and line the greater/longer the dribbles continue.
on super heated solution (240+ ) the heat expansion creates enough PSI to get atomized spray from low flow jets

..L.T.A.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I've been wondering if I use too much heat. It seems overkill to crank the 4HT all the way up.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Larry is overthinking it. If it was fine before and has developed the problem lately, then it is jets/checkies - which are only SUPPOSED to last 6 months, and the valve probably needs a rebuild (6 months) or replace. I replace because the rebuild kits are $11 and a PITA and a whole new valve is $29.

And I will have to respectfully disagree with Larry on the wand. It was a great wand, probably one of the best things Greenie did, second only to the Prochem Titanium. Greenie had his issues, believe me, I know better than any of you he has/had a ton, but when it comes to improving a tool or machine, few had such a natural gift to see what needed to be done.

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Jeremy N

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Larry is overthinking it.

Nah...heat expansion is a fact of life with any wand and mega heat.
Most TMs don't get anywhere near 220+ at the wand .
a 4HT cranked with "normal" cleaning on-off duty cycle can get there

And I will have to respectfully disagree with Larry on the wand. It was a great wand,

It isn't about Greenie ..more the phenomenon of how mediocre tools and juices rise to legendary fame when a wildly popular and charismatic "board star" touts it up....the greenhorn just ain't "all that"
It's "decent" wand at the price point they start at stock..
the Westpack is an improvement over the tinfoil POS CMP wand (cause it's a little more structurally sound at tube and wand head marriage) , but it's still a cheap wand in same class as the AW29

Respectfully

the streaking could be related to the manifold easily bumped/bent out of adjustment too.
Too high of pressure for the design possibly as well

I've been wondering if I use too much heat. It seems overkill to crank the 4HT all the way up.

I've run a mega heat TM "forever", Jer
Capable of 280+ at the machine .
Typically day in and day out we run well below 220 temp range .(200 is plenty for most "average" jobs)
240 IS "overkill" on most jobs ...but when you need it (like that rathole salvage job you were asking about) it can make a substantial difference .
same for long hose runs in winter..the capacity to make mega heat is an advantage

..L.T.A.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Nah...heat expansion is a fact of life with any wand and mega heat.
Most TMs don't get anywhere near 220+ at the wand .
a 4HT cranked with "normal" cleaning on-off duty cycle can get there

It isn't about Greenie ..more the phenomenon of how mediocre tools and juices rise to legendary fame when a wildly popular and charismatic "board star" touts it up....the greenhorn just ain't "all that"
It's "decent" wand at the price point they start at stock..
the Westpack is an improvement over the tinfoil POS CMP wand (cause it's a little more structurally sound at tube and wand head marriage) , but it's still a cheap wand in same class as the AW29

Respectfully

the streaking could be related to the manifold easily bumped/bent out of adjustment too.
Too high of pressure for the design possibly as well

I've run a mega heat TM "forever", Jer
Capable of 280+ at the machine .
Typically day in and day out we run well below 220 temp range .(200 is plenty for most "average" jobs)
240 IS "overkill" on most jobs ...but when you need it (like that rathole salvage job you were asking about) it can make a substantial difference .
same for long hose runs in winter..the capacity to make mega heat is an advantage

..L.T.A.

We could have used the WP as the base for the GH wand, in fact it was cheaper than the CMP, but the airflow "attic" which acts as a manifold and gives more linear airflow with less turbulence in the head and the superior welding on the CMP made us go there. The WP wand had rough inner welds and tended to accumulate more wand hamsters than the CMP.

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Rebuild kit in the valve, Replace jets or see if the orifice is clogged, or simply antibiotics

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
That's sweet Lisa. Nicest thing you've ever said about Greenie. I can't add anything to the wand problem because I've never used either of those wands but mine starts dripping when the valve needs replaced.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
All this banter about rebuilding the Greenie,

Who has the best deal on the kits? And Hybrid Glides : )

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Never had success with the valve kits. Once the valve start acting up, my experience has always been- replace the damn thing cause it actually ends up being cheaper.

Don't know about Larry's other wands and I do trust his opinion. In additionI only 'really' used three wands in my short and uneventful life: Hydra Hoe, Green Horn and Prochem Titanium. All of which including the Green Horn imho are very good wands.

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I have a local who has one of those GrEEnHOLE wands.
And I've used it on occasion and I agree with Larry.................it's a HEAVY ...................POS wand.

Lisa it's time for you to get back to your BuKkAkeeeeee Lessons!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I have a local who has one of those GrEEnHOLE wands.
And I've used it on occasion and I agree with Larry.................it's a HEAVY ...................POS wand.

Lisa it's time for you to get back to your BuKkAkeeeeee Lessons!

You frame the above statement. It's a money maker.
Cause, considering the source, this un-endorsement is quite a seal of approval. As far as endorsements go, it doesn't get any better than this.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
depends on the type of carpet. You need to learn the level you can wand at and direction. I can wand left to right and bring back left to right but can not go left to to right /right to left on certain carpet. My company is different than you suck and run losers, so no worries because we wand again with a 12 inch open face

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ya i had one of those employees once that insisted that he could go right to left and then back left to right.....
when i fired him.....
he went right to his car an' left..............:angry:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
ya i had one of those employees once that insisted that he could go right to left and then back left to right.....
when i fired him.....
he went right to his car an' left..............:angry:

You ain't right, lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom