Dog hair ruining my life

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We cleaned a sectional today that the customer told us his wife was allergic to dog hair. They bought this sectional from a friend who had 3 dogs. Still in good condition, but the amount of hair was insane. We first began by brushing off the pillows, from back, sides wherever. I didn't look underneath, but I bet there was hair.

How do you get rid of every single hair? Some of them are so deep into the fibers, that you have to literally pull each individual hair with your hands. We are using a Sandia Extractor for the deep clean, but that still didn't pull off alot of the small hairs. Went over it several times. The only thing I didn't have on me was duct tape or a lint roller to get the smallest of hairs off there. What do you do? Is it possible?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Use rubber gloves to remove the hair while youre pre-vacuuming it help A LOT and make quick work of pet hair. I have a white cat and dark furniture and just de-haired all of it today. Do it before you get the fabric wet.

Sent from my LG-VS450PP using Tapatalk

Reactions: GCCLee and WillS

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
First of all removing pet hair in that amount shouldn't be confused with cleaning. It's not cleaning and you need to charge more for pet hair removal. It takes a lot of extra time and often a lot of materials too.

As hoody said rubber gloves work well as do those tools like the pledge fabric sweeper. Tape rollers too but you'll need a bunch of them. It takes time and you might be better off doing it back at you shop than on location or at least budget several hours to remove pet hair and clean.

http://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Fabric-Sweeper-Hair-sweeper/dp/B003TNA6AE

Reactions: WillS

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Good idea. Yea, the tape rollers with this one would have taken hours, would have had to been done at the shop. I'll try the gloves next time on a less "hairy" item and see how it goes. Thanks for the info!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
air.........an air nozzle held at a proper angle will blow it right off.....dry of course

i would advise this to be done ....outside!

Name
Steve Lawrence
Embedded hair can only be removed with 2 fingers. No air or rubber gloves will do it. Warn your custy. Or charge accordingly. Most customers would be happy to make $100 + per hour picking out their own pet's hairs that are not remove with your normal awesome cleaning..

Able 1

Name
Keith
I use the tool on my vacuum works great! I pre-vacuumed a sectional for an hour last week, it sucked! I think I got every hair, and it was heavily loaded(yellow lab). The reason I would have passed on the job is they most likely are allergic to the dander which will still be there, in the cushion..

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I always inform the customer that we will not be able to remove all hair and there is not enough time in the day to do so. I tell them I will get out hundreds with our vacuuming and brushing but there will be a some left. If I were to charge to get out all hair in some cases they would be better off just letting the animal ruin another new couch.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
If they dont vac it....I sure wont...I wont accept peoples neglect of general cleaning...it just sets you up for problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
You can get more hair if just using the hose from your dry vacuum rather than the wider uph tool. It will pull more stuck hairs and pull more dust and dander. Have to pull the hose off the fabric to give it the airflow, ie you can't just put the hose on the fabric and keep going.
I use those mechanics grip gloves. Run your hand in circles and it pulls a lot of hair.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My shark comes with a upholstery attachment it gets a lot of hair, tape roller, I find after wetting rubbing in a circular motion with a bare hand pulls hair of to. Cross clean the fabric to. Never promise 100% hair removal. I'll try the rubber glove dry next time to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Hair doesn't cause allergies, dander does. It doesn't matter if you get every hair as long as you get all of the dander.

Take care,
Lisa

Ding ding ding....... We have a winner.

maybe use a Zip brush on your vacuum cleaner. I find ours very, VERY effective on all manner of upholstery dry soil. It removes pet hair from our Microsuede pieces at home too. Our Australian Cattle Dog and cat keep me busy with the vacuum cleaner. It is a good tool.

4de1b11556417229acd69b812e5f9c5f_zpsc684818d.jpg

f3b4f499b2be806c3487a38ba46837c8_zps7250d31a.jpg

Zip Brush can be seen in this Kirby video, time index 12:15.
http://youtu.be/Ayj1LodpZyo

Grant

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom