dog smell in apt carpet

wired

cleaned apt carpet on monday . dark brown very dirty. used CMS citra brite in bucket brush went back and forth up and down let set . used rx20 to clean and wand. There was some urine issue used OSR on them let set for 30 minutes used water claw raked put air movers . went back wed and still smelled carpet was very clean looked good. I then used X-cide from CTI sprayed on raked in . That was in the morning came back at five and still smelled. I have used judson 02 with good results on these carpets before but at almost 50 dollars a gallon its a little expensive and i would have to order some since I do not have any. any other suggestions would help. Thanks Steve

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It can be difficult to do a good urine inspection on apt carpet if the tenant has made some attempt at cleaning before your service. I work at several apartment complexes with polyester carpet that does not respond well to UV light inspection (Yes, I have a good UV light). Using a wet check to locate urine is not effective in the winter with lower relative humidity.

I would pull the carpet up in the rooms with heavy odor to get a better Idea of the extent of the contamination. At that point I would treat the affected areas with an Enzyme and maybe replace some pad ( I like Urinelock by Masterblend) , OR if the damage is extensive I would inform management they need to replace. Telling a management to replace is much better than trying to deal with the new tenants complaints about odor.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
wired said:
cleaned apt carpet on monday . dark brown very dirty. used CMS citra brite in bucket brush went back and forth up and down let set . used rx20 to clean and wand. There was some urine issue used OSR on them let set for 30 minutes used water claw raked put air movers . went back wed and still smelled carpet was very clean looked good. I then used X-cide from CTI sprayed on raked in . That was in the morning came back at five and still smelled. I have used judson 02 with good results on these carpets before but at almost 50 dollars a gallon its a little expensive and i would have to order some since I do not have any. any other suggestions would help. Thanks Steve

you've already hit it with strong oxidizer (OSR) and d'limonene
What makes you think hitting with more of a similar product (02) will do any better?

sometimes you have to pull the pad and replace it if you want to fix it right .
You can't guarantee complete removal unless they're willing to pay what "needs" to be done

Disengage the carpet and look underneath ..it will be easy to see all the fouled areas .
You have to cut the pad out (and possibly seal the subfloor) literally flood the carpet with strong oxidizer (we use a garden watering can) and flush/rinse the pee out of it

it's costs money to do that..if the carpet is in marginal condition , it's often better to simply replace it

..L.T.A.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
you said that it still smells like dog, it could be that it isn't completely dry . with everything that you did maybe you over did it a little. if you can open up the house and let a little fresh air in. walking into the room just tells you that the room smells , not necessarily the carpet.. I always put my nose straight into the rug to check.. it could just be the a/c and or walls that still smell..

gene

wired

thanks guys but this is an apt complex worth 12,000 a year and so i have to bend a little. 98 % 0f the time i can take care of the problem but it is that 2% that well you no . I have changed padding ,tack strips ,painted floors ,this takes time and most complexes do not want to pay for this . you have to draw the line sometimes and there are times when you say I can do this . I have three more like this next week . I will order some judson 02 thursday and I will take care of this . Thanks guys I will see you at mikeys fest.........

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
getting apt complexes to pay for new pad on a pet treatment job has become impossible these days. one thing i've done in the past is pull the carpet up find the urine spots, spray those spots on the back of carpet and the pad with Kilz, restretch, then treat the top urine fibers with OSR. At least you can charge for clean/treatment, Kilz and restretch fee, wouldn't guarantee it, but were talking apts here.

Joe Couch

Did you black light the carpet before you treated it? If not then you may have not treated some areas enough. One thing we do in our urine treatments is when we are extracting with the water claw we flush around it with fresh water from the pressure line. We have found this too be the key in getting the majority of the contamination out. We very rarely ever have to redo a treatment. It does take more time but we average $100 to $200 a room to do this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom