Don't be lazy! It could kill you or someone you love!

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I almost killed my wife and myself last night. We are both very lucky.

Driving down the freeway going 60 mph with the traffic. I was taking it a bit slower because it had been raining but it wasn't raining at that particular moment.

In a blink of an eye I'm doing a 360 sliding down the lane. Cars, trucks, semi's all around us. We did a complete circle and somehow ended up in the same lane we started in and facing the right direction. I'm not sure how but we didn't hit anyone or anything and no one hit anyone else. I started the car that had stalled and drove straight over to the exit and stopped in a shopping center parking lot. My wife and I were just looking at each other in a bit of a shocked state. I'm sure there are many who in the very same situation have gotten killed, maimed or seriously injured. We got out scratch and dent free, and didn't injure or kill someone else. It was truly a miracle.

My stupid/negligence mistake was in just looking at the outside edge of the back tires. The part I could see easily without bending down and REALLY checking the tread. Turns out the part I could see was ok, the problem was the part I couldn't see was like a racing slick. Not good.

So don't be like me, check the whole tire not just the outer part that is easy to see. I'm glad no one got hurt because I'm feeling guilty enough as it is.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Glad no one was injured.

If the tire is wearing unevenly (inside/outside edge or center), it can many times be traced to over/under inflation or bad alignment (rear tires too if it's a front-wheel drive).

Reactions: J Scott W

Becker

Name
Becker
Were the shit stains easy to get out?

I drive all fords, so I tend to check the tires often. Never an issue with the f150, but past e250/e350s have had issues.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah that twin I beam suspension is a front tire eater, I had twin traction beam on a 93 f 150 back in the day

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
The car was a Infinity G37.

Both rear wheels were about the same. First out side third of the tire was close to needing replacement but still within the limits (that's the part I was able to see) but the inside 2/3 were almost bald. I thought I was doing okay on checking air pressure but now I'm not sure. They had 40K on the tires so it was time anyway.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Great advise.

My wife gets irritated at me because I'm constantly coping a feel... on our tires, I feel for uneven wear/bulges/flat spots.

I also check torque on the lug-nuts every few weeks. I know from experience what Its like to have a rim come off going 40 mph on a narrow country road, because the guy that installed your new tires didn't properly tighten your nuts :evil:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Jimmy Swears by Judson Juice for the skid marks!

Glad your okay. Had that happen once and thankfully the wife did not scream! One of those did this really just happen moments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom