DriMaster Upholstery Tool vs. Steam Way Hydro-Kinetic Uphols

Bob Foster

If you have worked with both which do you like the best and why?

drimastertool.jpg
hydroKineticTool2.jpg

Name
Ron lippold
Bob I have the dry master and I love it. It makes cleaning furniture a dream. Yes it is flowing all the time but it has a shut off. I would never be without it. It is HIGH FLOW for furniture.

Best 450 I have spent

LeeCory

I had a Drimaster and did not like it. I now have 2 CFR tools and to be honest, that is what I would go with. Between the two you have as choices............Hydro Kinetic

Also, if you use the drimaster you will go through enormous amounts of water. You do not have the ability to spray something if you want. You have to mess with it to keep the flow even. It costs WAY too much for what it is... but I guess they all are.

Again, I would add the CFR tool to the list of choices.

Lee

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
had the old style of the kinetic. Valves kept blowing out. Have the drimaster now that I won at Express Distributing's CAD a few years ago and have not gone back since.

Name
Nate W.
Drimaster hands down.. no hand fatigue and overspray..

you don't use than much more water, you just need to move faster.. the jobs also get done faster and the fabric stays drier..

your hand will thank you later.. :lol:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have seen both tools side by side. Though both have a similar look and style, the clear performance advantage goes to the SteamWay tool.

If I knew how to post pictures, I could show these tool tools in action at Mikefest 2007. We used a white towel and put the Hydrokinetic and the Drimaster on one side of the towel and squeezed the trigger on the Hydrokinetic at 400 psi, while the Drimaster was at full force was set at a lesser 300 psi. There was no water escaping the towel on the Hydrokinetic side, but on the Drimaster side there was a steady stream of water poring down and out of the towel.

Of course the Drimaster could probably be dialed down to were very little pressure and water came through, and it may then have been able to avoid the overwetting. But you then lose cleaning performance in order to leave fabric as dry as the Steam Way Hydrokinetic tool.

We trigger our wands all day long and prefer the control it gives us. I personally have not been able to figure out the fatigue factor that is occasionally mentioned because of using a trigger on an upholstery tool, but if it is an issue, just turn down the pressure like is necessary on the Drimaster and tie the Hydrokinetic trigger open to achieve triggerless operation. Besides, you can just hold the trigger open and clean both ways, so you rarely have to trigger it anyway.

The old style Hydrokinetic tool worked great for many years, but the valve manufacturer changed something that made them fail prematurely, so they now have a replacement kit to change to a different valve. Or you can just buy the new style tool that has a different valve, which has never leaked on me yet.

Actually, I sent Mikey some of those pictures, but if someone wants to put them up here for viewing, I can email them to you.

Loren

T

The Magician

I have 3 of the HM very good tools. Loren must have had a problem with the Drimaster he was using. They never over wet and if they did how could it be a called a Drimaster tool. I have the new Drimaster tool arriving in the next few days.

LeeCory

I would choose any tool over the Drimaster. Even one of those little plastic ones with the plastic valves that are for those little spot extractors.

Actually, I would prefer to use a bucket of water and a rag.

If you decide to try one, make sure you get it from a supplier that doesn't mind taking it back as a return.

John Watson

Greenie your right, I don't think the majority of these guys can understand Bob's question cause he asked politely in Canadian.

"If you have worked with both which do you like the best and why?"

Bobby translate to what they understand...

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Thanks for posting these Bob. They turned out a little small here, but you can still kind of see how the water is running off the towel on the drimaster side at 300 psi and no water escaping from the hydrokinetic side at 400 psi.

Of course the drimaster is not meant to put that much pressure and flow through the tool, which is why there is a dial to restrict it, in which case, it would not likely allow the water to escape either.

Loren

Greenie

The pics remind me that there is an improved teflon glide for the HydroKinetic, do you have that one yet Loren? Smaller holes and made of teflon, not plastic.

Lee....lol wassamatta Marty on vacation, we can only handle one sarcastic cleaner here.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I was using the HK tool this afternoon on some nice velvet. Having used the DM tool for 4 yrs there is no way I'm giving up my HK tool. Worked 20x faster, flushed better, worked at 500psi (same as the wand, no adjustments needed), left the fabric dryer with less effort (The DM required slow passes to achieve the same result). The teflon glide is VERY easy on the fabric and makes working with the tool a breeze!

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I didn't know about the new face plate. I am sure I have the original.

There was one time that I felt it necessary to use my old style Hydrokinetic on a couch. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but it was a littler gentler than the new one. Nice to have both styles.

Loren

T

The Magician

Loren your punching below the belt. The pics just show your inexperience with the tool. Its way out of adjustment and the pressure can be turned way up. I have 3 or them and the new hi flow tool. great tools and my sw tool collects dust. If a product isn't sw your always negative. If you posted pics of any Blueline or Powerclean you would hear from them real qiuck. Maybe Hm will get these pics. deleted.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
You might think Loren is biased but I couldn't give a rip who the manufacturer is. AS long as it works and its a reasonable price, I'll use it.

The teflon glide makes the SW tool work. If the CFR had a glide, it would be better. If the DM had a teflon glide, it would work better to.
07-12-12002.jpg

I did some great cleaning with the DM, but I'll do even better cleaning now with the SW HK.
9May2003012.jpg

Greenie

I loved my ol' CFR long handle, only thing I regretted was it couldn't be glided, the SW HK does pick up on that, it's basically a CFR with a teflon face.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
<<Loren your punching below the belt. The pics just show your inexperience with the tool. Its way out of adjustment and the pressure can be turned way up. I have 3 or them and the new hi flow tool. great tools and my sw tool collects dust. If a product isn't sw your always negative. If you posted pics of any Blueline or Powerclean you would hear from them real qiuck. Maybe Hm will get these pics. deleted.>>

Magician

I don't know how I can be more honest. I believe I have twice mentioned on this thread that the Drimaster was not dialed in to the point that it would not let water pour through the fabric.

The point was the performance difference, and the Hydrokinetic will simply outperform the Drimaster in side by side comparisons.

I have seen these tools demoed on other occasions with the same results. This time it was my idea to have them both on the same towel, and even gave the Drimaster the advantage of 100 less psi.

The Drimaster is still a fine tool, and it looks like it was a very successful item for Hydramaster.

I can see why some think I am all Steam Way and nothing else, but if you are paying close enough attention, you will understand that I am not everything Steam Way.

The items I promote have been the Powermatic, the Steam Way wand (that may be changing btw) and the Hydrokinetic tool. I usually give very good reasons for these opinions rather than just tossing out the name with no explanation.

I also have had many good things to say about other products and equipment not SW, so your words "always negative" about other products seems a bit harsh. <tears>

I saw the new Drimaster tool at Mikefest, and from what has been said, it may be able to give better performance than the older tool. It may even have some advantages over the Hydrokinetic, but will have to wait and see how they stack up in side by side performance tests.

Anyway, thanks for not ignoring me. <smile>

Loren

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom