drive shaft question on sapphire 1200

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
So after i let Interlink and Jon Don know I went with the bid from John Olson I've been contacted twice now by the Jon Don guy asking me how I'm going to deal with the drive shaft problem on the 1200's. I told him I was not aware of any. He said that there is a big problem with the inner barrings and they have no fix for them as of right now. I was told to expect down time until they find a fix.

Funny how he never mentioned this when he was quoting the machine only after I went with someone else. So is this sourgrapes or is there a problem I am not aware of?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
IF there is a drive shaft problem...Saphhire will step up and take care of it like they do with everything...

and I agree......IF there actually is a problem...then how come jon don did not bring it to your attention right out of the starting gate.....?????

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
WOW
With "friends" like this representing our products who needs a competitor huh?

So here is the real story. We did receive 12 bearing sets from the manufacturer that had the wrong type of lubricant in them. We have identified each one and are of course replacing them no questions asked.
Your unit does not have this bearing set.
The drive system for the 1200 is time tested for some. 25 years now. We haven't changed it, but we have now added an additional quality control test to the manufacturing process that involves running each shaft system and checking to insure that it meets an even tighter tolerance than before.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Wow I am pretty sure someone is in trouble over this now. This kind of stuff actually happens a lot and only because of the internet, would this problem with the salesman come out and be talked about/ dealt with.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
It's how quickly the problems come out of the field and then researched and resolved. Sapphire Scientific does a great job
I think that every machine that I've worked with over 35 years had a problem or many. I know we hammer the manufacturer if we have problems and I hope that other distributors are doing the same. We always ask the tech support if this is the first time they have heard of the failure.
The people on this board help by posting about their experiences.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I am certain Olsin gave you a great deal on that unit, but the first thought I had was who are you going to get to service it when you have issues? And how will being at the end of the line feel?

I suspect that's what that salesman was actually saying.

Last edited:

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
It should be all about keeping you out there cleaning. If your cleaning your making money and that's what it all about isn't it?
To push you to the back of the line would not gain me business in the future. Because as a distributor I would like your business for the long term.
What a great opportunity we have to get your business by helping you out.
It's not like we hit it rich selling Truckmounts anyway.
We should do what you do-----All about the customer. (with a few exceptions)
Distributors should do more than take your order. Just my opinion.

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Bravo Ray Bravo
You and John O are great examples of business leaders who understand that it's about adding value to the product.
That can be through technical support and training that helps customers grow their business.
Having parts available. Or providing the whole service offering.
Providing the best chemical solutions, ones that balance cost and dilution to provide a winning RTU cost.
24/7/365 restoration support

Etc.

What I want people to know is there really are some great distributors out there and Legend Brands is proud to be associated with most everyone.

Reactions: John Olson
Name
Jesse
Bob, if they didn't change it as was stated then Yes there is a mid shaft bearing. If you look at pics of the unit you can see that the shaft bolts together in the center @ the bearing

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
look here you little pipsquEEk.......you better watch it or i will put a "bounty" on yor scrawnny little azz lik i did to Kesslar....
an' LOOK what happened to him..........
EVAN.jpg

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Not going to get Into private details but the price wasn't the deciding factor here. This was a win win for everyone and should still be a win for Jon Don if the salesperson wasn't short sighted. David gets a pro 1200 instead of a butler. Our guys all get trained by the best on installing the 1200. Jon Don didn't have to take a cobalt on trade in. Sapphire puts another 1200 on the road instead of a butler and Jon Don continues to service and sell David his chems. If David buys a butler none of that happens. I understand losing sight of the big picture guilty of that and many times not even seening the big picture.

As far as service on the machine it is a 1200 there won't be much of anything David will have to worry about. The biggest issue with any CDS especially one with a proven track record is the installation. Get that right and the thing will just run and run and run. No one will ever have a better install then the one David is getting . We are going to take 3 times as long as a normal one would take just to make sure all of my guys are trained 100% by sapphire themselves. The first person to have bought one would have got the same deal David just happened to call and say he wanted to support us if he could instead of buying an Butler and that is why this salesperson should stop with the poison pill and be grateful David is getting a Pro 1200 and work to win over his business that actually makes money because as Ray said truckmounts are our least profitable item we sell over the long term. We all live in a global market and if I got my underwear I a bunch every time Jon Don shipped a pallets of chems to my customer or interlink sells a machine at cost to take a sale away from me I would have had a heart attack already.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
John, the only thing you need to get exactly right is the laser alignment of the pulleys in the drive system. Everything takes care of itself if you get that right. Your job is to mesh up the engineering brilliance of General Motors and Sapphire Scientific.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi David:

I hope you the best on your 1200!

I'm "feeling" Bob on his questions-since I'm also an old TM rebuilder. He does SteamGenie ( I wish they still made them) and I do Butler (and a few others). And this is what I've seen; though I'm not sure about the 1200 since SS bought it from White Magic. Butlers and WM both use a similiar shaft with 3 eccentirc bearings. The only difference is Butler inner shaft is 7/8" and the WM 1". Bob: What size is SG's?

Shaft's never break but eccentric bearings can spin if they're not set correctly & they all eventually go out. The chances of one going out prematurely depends on the quailty of the bearings. My cost on eccentric bearings is about $18 for the best and $6 for Chinese. A large user's would be less. I doubt if anyone would risk 3 cheap bearings-saving -$36 on a $15-20,000 machine. So I would'nt worry about it.

Sincerely,
Dale

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom