dry clean only

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
A woman calls and says her persion rug says this on the back. What method would you use?
I see in the iicrc book "absorbent compound" is mentioned. I have a crb but what brand of absorbent compound do you like and where do you get it or do like a different method for this situation all together? Thanks

Name
I'm Rick James
I onced cleaned a sofa and loveseat pair, they were the same fabric..one was code "S" and the other was code "W". I have actually seen that a few times....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Ask her if the tag makes any reference to "Art Silk" or "A. Silk". Those are deceptive "trade names" for rayon, which is likely the worst fiber ever made for any purpose. Most "dry clean only" rugs are made out of that garbage.

There is a great article in Cleanfax by Lisa Wagner titled "Run from Rayon"

Good advice.

Stevea

Joel,

Jim's advice is pretty sound if you are not familiar with rayon, or anything that could be a problem.

Having agreed with that, usually a dry foam, hand cleaning method with the use of a screen, to protect the distortion of the material, and drying it quickly, will usually give fairly decent results and sometimes great results. There has been several posts showing this that you might be able to reference.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Steve what do you mean fairly descent results. What about that 1870's rug or that old oushak. You gave me recomedations on. You are absolutely right on your method. Listen Steve has a problem with his ego. My problem is getting in front of large classes as of lately . And his is being the teacher . Dont let Steve fool you . His work ethic and technique is very valuable. I personally call Steve on a daily basis. I like to make sure I am doing it right as well/ I might be a master2 installer . But I would also like to be the best cleaner. YO YO YO THIS GOES OUT TO MY BRO STEVE .

Dolly

Jim is right about that one..........

If it is truely a wool persian rug, in my opinion, you should not have to dry clean it.

I'd find out about the true nature of the fibers used to make this persian rug.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Never seen a persian rug say dry clean only, nor any rug that really did need to be dry cleaned, though some bleeders are safer with a LM method.

Take a pic and email me directly if you would like me to advise.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I'm sorry I forgot to write some details. She claimed it was wool and she may have said persion LIKE rug.
She seemed very odd and I lost the job anyway but I thought it would be good to learn for next time if there is one.

GRHeacock

It's best to check it yourself.

"Persian- Like" or "Persian Style" rugs, made of olefin are sold at places like Home Depot and Pier One stores. Cost around $100.

Find out where she bought it and how much she paid- these can be guidelines.

If she paid $10,000 for it at a rug store, or brought it from China or from Turkey, she will be happy to tell you.

Gary

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Joking randy!! I just cleaned for a couple that thought host / capture was the best thing. Their cream carpet turned this greyish greenish color from using for 8 years or better.

Anyone with a badger can tell you how much host/ capture is left in the foundation of a rug after "cleaning" and it's a PITA to remove

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom