dry vs wet pressure pumps?!%@

Mikey P

Administrator
Who can tell me why my General Emperor pump on my Judson can run dry/without water circulating all day buy if my pos Cat 5cp runs dry for a few seconds the plungers crack and the main seals get shreaded..?

FredC

Village Idiot
Packings w/teflon/graphite coating according to their sell sheet

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
dunno...but i have run my cat dry a few times, and no issues

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Who can tell me why my General Emperor pump on my Judson can run dry/without water circulating all day buy if my pos Cat 5cp runs dry for a few seconds the plungers crack and the main seals get shreaded..?

takes a little longer than a "few seconds", Big Slim

who cooked the pump?
You, or the crew??

"few seconds" my azz...

..l.T.A.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have run my 3CP dry on several occasions and no issues to date. 2500 hours and have not touched it.

Mikey P

Administrator
takes a little longer than a "few seconds", Big Slim

who cooked the pump?
You, or the crew??

"few seconds" my azz...

..l.T.A.

like a good boss all first mistakes are ultimatly MY fault.

THe second time it's on them.

Tank got ran empty and he continued to spray for too long.

By the time I filled her up and tried to prime the pump it was toast.

Or who, knows, maybe I ****ed it up priming it.

This new High Flow pump has been a PITA, my old HP pump never had seal issues.

anyways $450 in parts later (yes $450) we're back in biz...

20121003_181238_zps6caaf492.jpg

Thanks again Shawn, but next time please pack some asslube in the bag.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My guy took the 570 out on Friday..got to his job and set up...I was way on the other side of town and the phone rings.....he has no water pressure...

he is going threw everything and I asked him if he remembered to turn on the water...some how he got side tracked and forgot....if that was a cat pump in that unit it would have been fried...but the 570 has a general pump in it and it did not hurt a thing..........

on the thermalwave there is a low water shut off to protect the cat pump from this happening....(mikes vortex should have the same thing)....which is a good safety factor to have...

Mikey P

Administrator
The low water shut off valve broke when the baffle wall fell over on it in my drive home from FMI.

Eight years later I pay the price.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
like a good boss all first mistakes are ultimatly MY fault.

THe second time it's on them.

Tank got ran empty and he continued to spray for too long.

By the time I filled her up and tried to prime the pump it was toast.

Or who, knows, maybe I ****ed it up priming it.

This new High Flow pump has been a PITA, my old HP pump never had seal issues.

anyways $450 in parts later (yes $450) we're back in biz...

20121003_181238_zps6caaf492.jpg

Thanks again Shawn, but next time please pack some asslube in the bag.

Damn, for a few bucks more you could have bought another New Emperor and swapped out the Cat.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I must add, in over 30 years of running cats I have never cooked a ceramic plunger.
Maybe it has been run dry before??? Or does that Vortex pump hot water?

Cat Pumps

Name
Chris
Mike, looked through this a bit yesterady. Couple things going on here. First I know often it isn't intended but it isn't good to run a pump dry, just like it isn't good to run a car engine dry. However, like many motor oil manufacturers do with creating blends that better handle the worst case Cat Pumps also worked to remove the problem.

Most triplex pump manufacturers use Buna seals as their standard seal configurations both for reliability and chemical compatibility. They work well in many materials and applications. Yet Buna seals typically have a max rating of 160 degrees F. Depending on your location (ambient temperature) and the length of time you run dry you can reach 160 degrees at which point you can start to break down the Buna seals.

Cat Pumps developed a set of low pressure seals that would withstand much higher temperatures. The ST2 or ST4 (Cat Pumps models that end in .3400) seals that are used in other high temperature applications. These seals are typically rated to 240. The internal testing showed these seals would withstand the run-dry occurances with very minimal impact to performance. They have been around for more then 5 years but I don't think many are aware they exist.

I have also heard in some of the forums that ceramic plungers sometimes are cracked. This is typically a result of thermal shock. Let me relate it this way. Let's say you took your stone serving dish and heat it in the oven to 450 degrees. Then immediately took it out and dumped it in cold water. The rapid thermal expansion of the stone could cause it to crack. While this may happen say less then 10% of the time it is possible especially the more extreme the differences in temperature.

Not sure if this helps. Cat Pumps has a solution and a number of people are using these seals today, I just think many are not aware of it.
Hope you are well.
Jeff

Read more: http://www.***************s.com/conversations/advertising.46983/#message-55364#ixzz29Z3aNeny

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom