Dual wand-able...what can do it?

G

What machines today are actually dual wand capable? Not dual/tool and not a v-machine.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
IMO none of them..... unless some one has built a machine that one guy can go do UPH and another can go do carpet/tile and regulate there own water pressure..............

we have the big blowers........we can send 2 guys different directions off of the same truck and call it dual wanding all day long............

but we are restricted to only 1 PSI.........that's not duel wanding

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
If your both cleaning carpet or both doing upholstery, then you are dual wanding. Your just not gonna get the dry times you usually do.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
We dual wand ALL THE TIME with our truckmounts. It simply makes more sense to dual wand on the larger, and the medium sized jobs, as time is definitely money.

One (it's electric!) of our TM's uses completely separate high-output vacuum systems, each with their own APO, and it uses the same HOT LP heater (280º capable), and the same pressure pump. This system can keep 240º at each wand (06 flow per wand) while cleaning all day long, with the heater still not dialed all the way up.

The other one uses a single over-driven #45 blower, but has separate recovery tanks, and uses the same HOT LP heater for both wands, and the same pressure pump system.

In my 24 years of carpet cleaning, I have tried many different brands of TM for dual wands. The biggest problem with them was NOT ENOUGH HEAT for 2 wands at the same time, or not enough vacuum so 1 wand had to stay on the floor.

IMO, a dual wand rig should operate without either tech being able to tell someone else is using the machine when they are. You also need the heat to stay up to where you are used to it being when single wanding, when you are dual wanding, and you shouldn't have to fuss with the wand so you or the other person running a wand has sufficient vacuum while cleaning.

I don't really see a need for separate pressures as we usually do just carpet, or carpet and upholstery (jet by-pass tool needs no dial-down of pressure for upholstery) at the same time.

If we have a lot of upholstery, and carpet, then we both tackle the upholstery first, and then go to the carpet.

On tile cleaning, we will usually schedule the tile clean as a separate job, since tile as an add-on would usually take too much time for the days schedule.

I can honestly say dual wanding has enabled us to do an enormous amount of work in a day.

BTW, we have been dual wanding for over 17 years now.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hey, Danny.

I did... and I will.

I'll also be making a heat exchange version of the SplitSteam. Haven't decided on a name for it yet, though. But I can tell you with certainty, that it will have as much heat as the propane- fired SplitSteam.

If you remember from the one we demoed at the Atlanta MiniFest, it delivers in excess of 240 ATW, with two wands running "wide open", at 600 PSI, with #6 jet equivalents in them.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jay;

The minimum I would look for:

1. #5MP blower - 17" at up to 500 CFM.

2. Over 35 HP with a large Stainless HX for two wands.

3. Minimum of 100 gal. recovery capacity or a pump-out system.

4. Brand-name Pump capable of ~4 GPM.

2.5 vac hose connection would also be a plus.

Larry Cobb

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The Genesis has separate outlets for carpet and upholstery.

If I remember correctly, the upholstery outlet is set and unchangeable, pressure- wise, to 150 PSI.

Scott Rogers

Ken, can you really get decent vacuum on a butler when dual wanding? How fast do they spin the blower?

And can the heat really keep up to a respectable level?

R

R W

Well, I'm dual wanding/upholstery cleaning with the Genesis 59. When dual wanding, you know when the other wand is keyed. We crank up the pressure to about 650-700 when dualing. If carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning, my Prochem upholstery tool allows for PSI adjustment at the head, but you still know when the other tool is keyed. During the colder months, heat is a problem when dual wanding. The key would be a system like Bob Savages to add heat to an HX machine.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Scott, not sure of the tech specs on Butlers, but yes they can dual quite well and keep the heat adequately though if scrubbing constantly with 2 wands it will be a challenge after a bit. We rarely dual residential work unless it is carpet and upholstery and on most comm that our guys would want to they take 2 trucks as it is more efficient to run from 2 diff points or in diff directions from 1 point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom