Duct cleaning?

G

I used a portable Meyers,20hp runnig just the fan,5000cfm,10" hose,almost as good as a truck.I just had to choose between it and carpet cleaning,it would take all day to do a large house,and I just did not have time for both.You can find equipment used and less expensive,just like carpet cleaning,and I used different manufacturers for different things,and atlantic eng. is White Magics other division,and I used a brush system from them.I still do dryer vents as an upsale in my residential,so just as in carpet cleaning,or anything for that matter,do a nice job,and yes you can make good money at it.

Kevin

The Preacher

TimP said:
Ole Stanley Steamer does duct cleaning here......I seriously doubt they have a HVAC license.

You're looking at a 20 grand investment in equipment alone not to mention a vehicle....it's like adding another TM. That is if you want to do it right.....there are many just like with carpet cleaning that are out there that are doing it completely wrong!

i bet Stanly is in compliance. have you seen their duct cleaning truck??? they were set up doing a home next to me. that big truck sounded like a freakin jet engine. i don't know their success, but they had some nice equipment!!!

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Like Mr. Buxton said, don't even think about an attachment that hooks up to your truckmount or portable. At minimum you need a powerful portable negative air system and you definitely need some understanding of how HVAC systems work and be prepared to get dirty, work hard and have cut and scraped hands and knuckles from almost every job.

John Buxton

Ed,

Thanks for the Mr., but I am just John or Buck. You are right about the cuts on your hands, every job has at least a couple cuts. My hands would get a bunch of cracking, thanks liquid bandaid. I miss the money but I hated the jobs especially the crawl spaces in the winter

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
So is it possible to get into duct cleaning at a budget? If so, which equipment would you guys suggest for just residential work? I will probably have to invest in used equipment to start off, but i'd like to go with something that will do a good job and not take forever.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
You can find good used equipment. I see some on ebay from time to time. You can find decent used systems from $2500 to $5,000. Abatement technologies is a great company. I have an Air Care system. These operate off a 110 circuit. At minimum you'll need the negative air HEPA unit, a decent air compressor, attachments for the air compressor to dislodge debris in the system, flanges for attaching to the phlenum, 12" and/or 8" vacuum ducting to attach from the phlenum flange to the HEPA unit. This would be a very basic set up that would allow you to do most residential systems. A fogger for sealing or disinfecting, but I personally don't like putting any type of product into the HVAC system. You can also add power brush attachments for agitating metal ductwork, video capabilities, which I would suggest. You'll also need some basic tools, battery powered screw gun, tin snips, blanks for patching holes cut in phlenum, hole plugs for trunk lines, duct tape. A backpack or HEPA vac to vacuum out the register openings and the HVAC unit itself. Oh and a vehicle with enough room to carry it all!

I'm sure I left some things out, but others will catch it and add to it I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom