Dude, you don't know nothin.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Met some white dude installing today at one of the condo's we service .
Clean cut fellow, mid to late 40's, doing a repair .
(replacing dog chewed/clawed carpet in hall and steps)

I'm always looking for "clean cut" installers to refer and sub, so I struck up a conversation to feel this guy out.

the question came up

"what method do you use?"

I told him we're qualified to do all cleaning methods and use several.

He said ,

"good, cause i tell all my custys to never steam clean the carpet"

so that begged the question for me ,

" why?
All the mills recommend steam cleaning"

"oh course they do" says he.
"They want it to fall a part to sell more.
Look, I've been installing for 28 years......blah blah blah...steam cleaning ruins carpet "

:roll:

Then he went on to tell me how wetting the backing dissolves the glue.

"It's impossible to not wet the backing"
he tells me.

Then holds a piece of carpet for illustration, and says,

"See this backing?
It's connected with "water soluble" glue

At which point, I'd had enough of an "education" from Mr. 28years SmellingseamtapeFumes and simply said,

"Oh, Oooooh-Kay"

and walked away

..L.T.A.

Name
Danny Strickland
you shoulda drew down on him and made him take it all back!!! :twisted:

PS ya coulda tolt him yore a closet enCRAPPER, he woulda let ya bum a smoke!!! :lol:

Jim Nelson

Name
Jim nelson
I had a guy say the same thing to me, i say no it wont he sad hear take this pice of new carpet to the bathroom and put it under water damn thing came apart like he sad it would . Go see for your self it's shocking to see .

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jim Nelson said:
I had a guy say the same thing to me, i say no it wont he sad hear take this pice of new carpet to the bathroom and put it under water damn thing came apart like he sad it would . Go see for your self it's shocking to see .

you ever do any clean water flood jobs, Jim?

..L.T.A.

Why do you think so many rich people want dry cleaning? A bad experience from previous steam cleaning.

Actually the carpet is usually not too dirty, the equipment costs less, and you can charge more. I guess I need to start offering lmc for residential. That may not be a bad idea. If anything it will get you in the door to sell steam cleaning.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
White guy?

What's up with feeling the need to tell us his skin color?

How does that relate to the story?

Take care,
Lisa

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
truckmount girl said:
White guy?

LOL!!
I did that on purpose...(fo-reel)
I was thinking of the thread that had the "problem Jewish custy"
So I added a non value description for fUn... :mrgreen:

i was waiting to see if anyone would comment.... :wink:

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Gary Taylor said:
Larry, did ya get the white guy's number to refer customers needed repairs?

nah
cause I think he might of been Irish
which means he was probably a potato eatin' drUnk..... :shock:

..L.T.A.

-JB-

Name
JB
White guy?

How does that relate to the story?

Take care,
Lisa

ya, when what you really should a aksed iz are ya ghey?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Had a property owner years ago give me the same story, as he was told from a installer he had knock in some new carpets for him

He was certin that the installer was right.

So I asked if he had any leftover scraps from the install, ofcourse he did; what kinda installer/salesman would he be if he didn't order a few extra yards right :roll:

He got me a lil sample, I soaked it in a pail of water for entertainment purposes for a few minutes, then I grabbed it and shook the water off of it, and proceed to easily peel the primary and secondary baking apart.

The guy said "see look, it practically fell right apart!"

Then I grabbed a dry piece and it did the same dang thing! Customer says " It's just cheap carpet isn't it?"

I said "you know what you paid for it I don't"

I didn't do this to be a smart alack, I wanted to see what would happen too.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Lisa, Didn't anyone tell you that hard working, middle aged white guys are now the #1 minority. :wink:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
... we will admit that we have recommended in the past because of the bane patrol in our town that steam cleaning wasn't necessarily a good thing if it wasn't performed correctly.. (our key words... performed correctly) ..

And to add to the above... yes a soaked peice of carpet with a cheap backing can pull apart dry or wet.... I would have been a real smart ass to the (dumber) installer and handed him a woven piece and said here delaminate this piece!!! :mrgreen:

A

amazingcleansc

sweendogg said:
... we will admit that we have recommended in the past because of the bane patrol in our town that steam cleaning wasn't necessarily a good thing if it wasn't performed correctly.. (our key words... performed correctly) ..

And to add to the above... yes a soaked peice of carpet with a cheap backing can pull apart dry or wet.... I would have been a real smart ass to the (dumber) installer and handed him a woven piece and said here delaminate this piece!!! :mrgreen:

that was my immediate thought when i read your post.

i would have told him that 9 out of 10 warranty claims against a cleaner end up being from a bad installation job, rather than the cleaner "ruining" the carpet.

of course he knows that, because hes probably gotten a phone call where a cleaner uncovered his mistake. He then may have figured out that its only the "steam cleaners" who uncover his shitty installs, hence steam cleaning must be bad. (in his mind)

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I would agree with those that think the installer's attitude come from his own mistakes.

When poly-backed carpet appeared lots of installations were done without proper stretching. (Jute backed carpet could be watered after installation for a shrink-to-fit stretch.) Cleaning would show how loose the carpet was and the installer would have to come back and fix it.

Many years ago I asked Barry Costa during a classroom break (I was taking another class) about who was responsible for carpet rippling after cleaning. He made me wait until the installation class was back in session, then asked the class who was responsible. The installers all blamed the cleaner. Barry said, "I want you to take one thing away from here today. If the carpet ripples after cleaning, it's YOUR FAULT!" He repeated YOUR FAULT several times, then told them to never blame a cleaner for their poor installation. Then he looked at me and asked if he had answered the question.

He later told me that when a new installation class began he would ask if anyone used a power stretcher. There would always be lots of excuses why one wasn't needed, but a favorite was, "We do new home installations, and the power isn't on yet." No idea how they made seams.

We still routinely see hack glue-down installations though. In commercial spaces where the installer knows he will cut corners, he tells the end user not to allow any wet cleaning. By the time the problem is revealed, he will be working under a new company name.

Joe Bristor

Offensive linemen - the Running back's best friends.
Hardest workers on the team, smallest paychecks, last to get up from the pile, dirtiest uniforms, first to cripple.
You'll never see a back take the Lineman's job but he'll sure help him back to the huddle.
Lineman get the pain and backs get the glory.

Carpet Installers should be the Carpet Cleaner's best friends for the same reasons.
You don't have to know them to respect them.
I thank em every chance I get just like the military.
tough job you wouldn't want but without them, you'd have no glory.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom