Dull spots explained - darn light

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Helper of mine said spot in dining room just isn't coming out. so I went and took a look.

http://youtu.be/iRqF6_yO6E4

years ago I learned to always check the lights. ( I spent hrs on a carpet once only to bump the light and have the whole spot move, customer and I laughed about it. She offered to pay for my time but I took it as lesson learned)

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Lol, boy I bet you was ticked when ya figured that out!

Oh Man, lol

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Just 30 minutes ago had the same scenario.

Customer wouldn't believe it was a shadow.... So moved the light just like the video...

His comment "Well I'll be..."

We always check for shadowing because we have also tried to clean a few in the past :)

Reactions: Brian H

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We had one a few years ago... Customer called complaining that the tarp we used to protect her carpet when we cleaned her sofa, left a large discolored are on her carpet. When I went out to check it out it was very clear that it was just a shadow from a low lying front window. She was not buying it. I happened to have a new piece of of white carpet in my car and brought it into the house and laid it in that area and low and behold, the line now ran across the piece of new carpet. as I move the carpet around the line stayed in the same spot. She was still not convinced... she thought I was using some sort of magic carpet and playing a trick on her.

I finally told her to try it herself after I left using a blanket or sheet or some other light colored material and to call me if the line didn't show up on HER things. She never called....

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I've had many over the years similar to those above, but the one that took the cake was in my own home.

Delia tells me one day that last night I spilled red wine on our large Moroccan rug in the lounge room.

Naturally I denied wasting good red wine, but went to have a look.

Sure enough, the rug sure had some reddish/brown looking spots on it.

So I walked across to where the skylight comes through the ceiling near the kitchen and stood in the light source.

Hey, how about that, I just removed the spot with my eyes.

The suns rays being deflected through the skylight can also play tricks on people, another source to be aware of.

Yes, I do have photos of it.

Somewhere.

Many dirty marks on window glass, or even an object like a small table or footstool in the path of the suns rays, can put a shadow not only on carpet, but also on furniture that is in the path of that light source.

It also does NOT have to be direct sunlight :winky:

:yoda:

Buck1955

Name
John
learned that the hard way, spent 20 minutes cleaning a shadow when I first started. Had a custy make the counter top company replace a granite counter top, turned out to be a shadow.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The funniest spot/shadow I ran into only appeared during a certain time of the day. (First clue.)

The customer showed me the spot and went into the kitchen. Didn't take long to see that light was bouncing off the building across the street and hitting his hanging hummingbird feeder out on the balcony.

I went out and gave the feeder a push and watched the "spot" through the window following the feeder. The customer came back into the living room, saw the spot on the move and screamed. By the time I came back in to see what the screaming wa about, he'd figured it out and was laughing.

I guess a traveling stain would be pretty creepy.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I wish mine showed my great knowledge and wisdom.

It was about 25 years ago when I just started. I worked for about half an hour on this stain that would not come out for a job that otherwise was just perfect. Finally exasperated and defeated I brought the client and told her that I just can't remove that darn stain.
- "It just wouldn't budge."
- "Let me help you" she said, and moved the chandelier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom