Dyson Animal

Farenheit251

So I'm cleaning a house while the new tenant is signing a lease. Tenant whose lease expired 15 days ago left a Dyson Animal at the property. I took it. Of course the former tenant called the management company. They said I could keep it if I wanted as she had no right to reenter or keep keys. I chose to return it but they charged her for 2 weeks more rent and a rekey fee.
So I have a Sanitaire Pro and a Royal Commercial which I prefer for its nail eating abilities in rentals. Wife had just vacced LR,dr,fr,hall in our house when I got home w/ the Sanitaire. I redid it w/ the Dyson and filled half the canister. Next day went behind the cleaning lady and her new Oreck in a 7 rooms and stairs vacant rental house and filled the Dyson w/ two rooms to go. Similar results in a few more homes before I gave it back.
Now I can tell the Royal and Sanitaire have alot more power. Many of the $100 vacs at wal mart use their superior to Dyson test results to market. Even Dyson markets best average pickup across all floor types which is like conceding that aren't the best at carpet.
Always wanted a vac that I could go behind on a freshly vacced carpet and pick up alot more like the Kirby salesmen do. Dyson was the first to ever do so but it just doesn't add up.

Scott Rogers

Hey Bud, hope all is well down there.

What did you actually find in the dust cup?

The Dyson animal has a very aggressive brush and will pull alot of staple fiber. If this is what you have found then I would bet you could revacuum the areas with the dyson over and over again and continue to get the same results.

Personally I wouldnt over think it. If you are prevacing vacants with any vac you are doing more then most other carpet cleaner do.

Farenheit251

Didn't look like much fiber. Lots of pet hair and dust. Not worried about being aggressive as I'm trying to salvage carpet quickly in these rentals. Both my current vacs are bag models and after being able to see what is picking up I won't be happy with that. Even if it means going with a cheaper vac like Bissel cleanview or Hoover Fusion($100) which tested better than Dyson according to ASTM(?).

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I've found the Dyson to be good as well. Lotta Dyson haters out there though. I think mostly because of its looks and price.

Scott Rogers

I bought a Hoover Fusion, It fell apart on me in just a few jobs. I certainly won't recommend that piece of crap.

The clean views hold up ok but has a lot of choke points that clog on me. particularly the small hose in the bend between the main hose and the head. and the main hose clogs easily too. The clog especially fast when post vacuuming after a pad cleaning job, so it may not be quite as bad for you.

I use a Dyson on every job and get very good results. You always get those people that say. They are plastic they can be that strong. That is where I say football helmet is plastic to. :)

Scott

To paraphrase what Carey Mitchell said at Pemberton's Winterfest a couple of years ago:

"they call it the Animal for a reason. It's an aggressive animal on carpet fibers. Running the Animal just 6 times across a carpet is the equivalent of adding 2 years of wear."

Larry Capitoni witnessed the statement as did the Cermaks.

I take that to mean it failed the CRI Green Label test for vacuums. :shock:

Scott

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I've never used a dyson so i cant really trash talk them. it seems to me they are disposable and thrown away when something breaks..is that right?

what i like about sanitaire it's powerful and everything is replaceable . i have 4 sanitaire vacuum's a quick clean, 2 standards and a light weight the oldest (a standard)is 9 years old an was a daily use often hours of daily use all I've replaced is beater bar, fan assembly and shake out bags about every year all parts can can be replaced on a sanitaire and they are not hard to work on and the part are not expensive

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Dyson disposable? Not for that kind of money. The Bissell on the other hand, is cheap enough to pitch and get a new one.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I've been using a Dyson to pre-vac now for a year and have not had any problems at all but I doubt it would hold up well if you have employees kicking it around. I vacuums very good, holds a lot in the cup, has a washable filter(which doesn't require much washing at all). I especially like being able to take the handle off and vacuum along the baseboards. I have not found anything that comes close to the amount of vacuum it has at the end of the handle.
As far as it not being what a professional should use- I rarely come across a customer that is not very impressed with what I get out of their carpet.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
welp, for "my" money, I'd never take $400+ dollar vac into a empty when i know a cheap Bissel picks up better.

regardless of what vac you use, do ya'll take that same vac into Ms. Phiff's house after you've been vaccing all manner of scuzz and creepy crawlers from empty apts???

What about the res that have pet and odor probs?
Do ya'll use the same vac for that home as you do a well maintained clean freak's home?

..L.T.A.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I don't do alot of empty apts. and they are normally already pre-vacd. My Dyson gets cleaned out at least once a week with compressed air and then wiped down. There is never a bad odor from the vacuum.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the canister vacs work better because the airflow is more efficient. Thats why you're cleaning up after these "better" vacuums.
The Cleartrak only has an 8amp motor. I've been cleaning up after other "so-called better" vacs for years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom